Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• wintoidwintoid Frets: 27

Hi all,

This seems like a great site, I've been reading for a while.  I've been playing bass and synths for 40 years+ as a hobby, but usually left guitar to other people.  It's an unexplored chapter and I'm thinking about taking the plunge, possibly with a Tele of some sort.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Originally wintermute from a science fiction novel (Neuromancer by William Gibson), shortened to winty which became my nickname for a while, and was easier to put into high-score tables on games.  When the internet came along, there were loads of wintys, so I became wintoid, mainly for uniqueness.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

West Wickham in Kent

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

I'd like to finish some pieces :)

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

I've sold all my hardware synths several decades ago, when kids came along.  Most of my stuff is inside my computer, so there's not much choice here... just my bass (Roscoe) and my sound card (RME).... so I guess the Roscoe.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Hmm no guitar on this, but probably Nine by Autechre.  Don't burn the witch!

Click here for my feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steve_y91steve_y91 Frets: 4
    edited June 2021
    Morning all! I've lurked a bit for a while and decided to make an account finally! I haven't played as much for the last year as covid kept me very busy at work. I've recently started getting serious about my playing again and I'm enjoying it again!

Q1: Where did your username come from?

It's my name, initial and birth year, nice and simple!

Q2: Where in the world/country are you?

Colchester, Essex

Q3: What's your main musical ambition?

To record an original track to call my own

Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

My Telecaster. It's "only" a squire but it's a great guitar to play!

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Probably Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366

Jay is my name, I wasn't allowed my first choice of addition so I just quickly came up with a random.

South East Suffolk village near the sea.

Although that ship has basically sailed, to complete the two song online collaboration with one of my faves from the paisley underground days.

I have too many, or so I am told. Push come shove and most played, 91 Fender Newporter. Brand new from Hobgoblin. Written most of my songs on it. It lives in the living room, as is right and proper.

Very difficult, but again, push come shove Idiot Wind, Bob Dylan.

• pavpav Frets: 3

Full name is Pawel, but friends call me Pav. 

Originally from Poland, but for the last 12 years based in Newcastle Upon Tyne. 

To live off the royalties from writing and recording music and gig original music.

Probably my Heritage 535.

Tough one. Probably Chega de Saudade by Antonio Carlos Jobim

• AJSAJS Frets: 43
    Hi my name is Allan I live in Staffordshire. I have played in covers bands for many years. currently playing guitar in a three piece and bass in a five piece.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  My Initials 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  Staffordshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  Get gigging again

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  My Martin acoustic

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Blowin Free Wishbone Ash

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  Thin air made it up after having a valve redplate on me.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Cheshire UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to play like Wes Montgomery or Grant Green

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  64 RI ES335

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Brazil by Grant Green

• HydraHydra Frets: 20

Hi, I am Andy from Cornwall, been a forum background dweller for years.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  The Toto song.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Cornwall, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To get in a band again.... not much scope down Cornwall way.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  Byrd Guitars Super Avianti.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Probably Rats In The Cellar / Aerosmith
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Hydra said:

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  Byrd Guitars Super Avianti.

Wow duly awarded!
  • DazzaDazza Frets: 93
    edited June 2021
    Hey folks, I’m Daz 49 from sunny Leicester!

I’ve been playing on and off for around 30 years although my playing doesn't really reflect that! I’be introduced to this forum by Cookiemonster and knew nothing about it! I’ve been buying and selling guitars for a while now and over the past 10 years mainly offsets - amazing to see how Jazzmasters have now become the most sought after when a while ago you could pick them up for the half the price!

I’m a Creative Director by day, 3 kids and special in packaging design however and graphic design requirements I’m here!

I’m in a 2 piece band Northstar which is a kind of ambition, always wanted the desire to get out and play. Our style is influenced by REM, U2, The Smiths, Travis and Glen Campbell - Jez writes the songs, plays acoustic and sings and I add atmospheric nonsense around it - love it! We are hosting our first open mic on the 9th of July so looking forward to that.

Like many of us am a total guitar addict and have whims and obsessions, more recently its been teles now back onto Strats and JM’S!!

Working through the questions here we go;

• Username is my nickname, Darren....

• Based in Kirby Muxloe Leicestershire

• Main musical ambition - get out there and play, oh and sell one of our songs for a box office hit to use

• Best bit of gear - My 52 reissue tele with F Bigsby and mastery - my workhorse & most versatile and I kinda just love it in conjunction with my tweed blues jnr - such a tart!

• Fav track ever - Streets have no name... jeez, no - This Charming Man!

Enjoy setups and do them for folks when they need to, into mods (for the better) too. I play a variety of styles outside of the band but more ambient, The edge, Charlie Burchil or Marr is what I aspire too - can't resist a shimmer!

Appreciate I’m new to this, years of experience selling gear so any classifieds I post be assured I know the score.

Cheers Daz

• Born2BMildBorn2BMild Frets: 18

Q1:  Where did you username come from?   I was a born again biker, but I'm more mild than wild

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? UK South Devon (Staverton), 20 years in Harrogate but originally from Reading, Berkshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play better

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Tom Anderson Crowdster, followed by my Jerry Donahue Fret King

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Who Knows Where The Time Goes

• ae1734ae1734 Frets: 4

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  old university e-mail address.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? North West.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? keep getting better.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Gibson es-175.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? changes all the time, but Darn that Dream (w/ Jim Hall on guitar and Bill Evans on piano). 

• StuCStuC Frets: 8
    Long time lurker, seems I've never posted anything...

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  It's my name.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  Warwickshire.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  To be able to play in front of others without crippling embarrassment.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  Hmm.  '64 SG maybe.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?  Impossible to answer that.

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? My dog

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? NW England

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be a half decent blues player

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Les Paul Standard

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one Little Wing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DescalonaDescalona Frets: 15
    Hi! My name is David, I'm from Spain but I came to UK three years ago. I basically moved here because my job and actually was the reason why I stopped playing but I want the resume this passion again.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  From my first band (heavy metal): Kancerbero

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  Derby

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  Get gigging again

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  Suhr Guthrie Govan

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - ummm... Stargazer?

• Murray28Murray28 Frets: 1
    Hi, I'm Ian, have loved in Yorkshire for the last 30 years but was born in Lancashire.

Been playing guitar since I was sixteen.  Bedroom rock God for most of my early years before joining a band in the early 2000s.  Mainly gives pubs, clubs, weddings ect round Yorkshire.  Alas Covid combined with member relocation killed the band. 

Not picked the guitar up in 18 months, so am looking to start again and revisit and possibly rewrite and home record some old songs I wrote back in the day.

Q1 - My late grandma

Q2 - Halifax

Q3 - As above - to record some of my own stuff.

Q4 - Fender USA Stratocaster Delux - massively versatile and a breeze to play.

Q5 - Daylight Fading (Counting Crowd)
  • I started out in a band, late 70s / early 80's. Guitar/vocals/song writer. Then moved mainly to synths for while before drifting away and not touching a guitar for about 35 years - now probably my biggest life regret. Picked up a wrecked PRS custom SE about 2 years ago and I'm now back in the zone. Have modded it back to life and it's now been joined by a GAS induced family. Up to six members now with a set of luthier tools to go with it.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? My locale

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Gourock, Scotland

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Keep improving on guitar and get back to song writing

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? I still pine for my first ever amp and cab, bought in the late 70's for very little cash. A 1960's 50w plexi and basket weave 4 x 12. Horse traded for some crap or other - sigh. From current gear, probably most attached to the PRS SE mentioned above for sentimental reasons as it got me back into this.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? An impossible question.

• pepperonipepperoni Frets: 22
    Hi all. new to the forum, and fairly new to getting back into guitar, despite playing a lot as a youngster. Drums have been my main instrument over the years.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  My love of Pizza

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  Essex

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  To be able to improvise more comfortably and noodle with my loop pedal

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  My Grandad's Saxon acoustic from the 70's. The soundboard is bowing out, but I'll keep playing till it explodes lol.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? For guitar, probably Cortez the Killer by Neil Young  & Crazyhorse. Just for the tone.

• v12catv12cat Frets: 25
    edited August 2021
    Hi, I've posted a couple of things but think I should perhaps introduce myself properly. I've owned guitars for perhaps 20 years but have not really mastered them (I'm better on the bass), mainly due to having so many interests but am now wanting to put in more effort. I'm way more accomplished in brass and piano. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  Long standing username I've used for  newsgroups (yes, that old!!), YouTube an many other things. It comes from my v12 Jaguar XJS.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  Cheshire.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to play guitar well enough to sound acceptable!

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?   VOX Amplug2, so my family don't have to endure my failings!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?  Nightwish, Ghost Love Score. Truly Epic track.

• Edward. From the US, Colorado in particular.

Fender Strats are my dirty past-time, a single-coil at the neck is pure beauty, alder body, rosewood boards, vintage trems, and I've come to know that what I need most though, is a wide-nut/neck; therefore, I like putting 'em together with Superwides and sourced bodies, mostly used. Started doing my own finishing lately, leave the wiring and the set-up to professionals for now. Playing with pickups, though.... And Fender Blackfaces, don't get me started there.

But what makes my blood boil the most, and what I always seem to have around, since I was a kid, and thus write and learn and practice on - is a Spanish Nylon String. Funny, the vintage Yamaha Nippon Gakki classicals, circa 1970's, although tanks, just resonate like chamber pianos, so they really are my favorite guitars to purchase and play.

The strats lay around and look pretty, and though hardly ever actually plugged in, get rubbed down, and their clothes changed every so often - but the gypsy acoustics get the love and daily attention, and really are what inspire me most. So I guess my goal lately, and really - has been to build an electric, that feels and sounds like an acoustic.... I know.

Haven't been gigging since Covid. Been through all the same band dramas as everyone else. Have that box full of ideas that need to get recorded, some day, or else I'll never get any rest. And, never the player I really aspire to be - will we ever be? - but, I do come close on occasion. That's becoming a more regular experience though, which does make me happy.

Opeth is my favorite band, Heritage my favorite album - and Al DiMeola is probably my favorite musician, although I do loves me some Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, classic Dream Theater, Bach, Rach, and of course some vintage prog - Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd. Alex Skolnick inspires me, as does Jesse Cook and Steve Stevens. Jimmy Page is a god. But on rainy days, its Bill Evans, or Charlie Parker.

Playing guitar is the way I go to church.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi
    Electroblues here!

1) Username comes from the fact that I'm an electronics design engineer who rebuilds/builds and designs his own equipment (guitars, amps, effects) and mostly interested (now) in the blues (old and new) amongst other things. I play guitar. I am very friendly and helpful and a useful guy to know.

2) Cheshire (and can often be found in the STR tap room bar under the arches in Runcorn having an amazing craft beer).

3) Been playing a long time on and off in loads of bands, currently playing in the soon to be launched 'The 52nd Street Band' (Jump, blues, soul plus a bit of rock, complete with keyboards and 2 saxophones!). Most interested in upgrading my music theory/knowledge and generally improving. I never had a lesson and learned the same way as Eric, put the record on and listen and try and get it! I love all the knowledge being passed around these days.
    I'm not interested in money and do it purely do it for the love of music, gear, just being in a band and playing. Want to be the best I can be. I have a very diverse taste in music.

4) Best bit of gear is my self-designed/built tube head, recently built (I call it 'Route 6L6'), twin 6L6's (love that valve) cathode biased, about 25-30W max down to about 10W class A, switchable triode or pentode, switchable negative feedback, switchable sag resistor (simulates tube rectifier), switchable Push/Pull or Single ended class A (smooth sweet low power mode). Twin channel (with footswitch), drive channel = Dumble, tight and harmonically rich. Awesome, it sings and not a buzz, hum or hiss even at full power, can't tell it's switched on, worked out really well. Come on Zilla, just waiting for my head shell in stunning 'Blue Croc' to complete!

5) Not sure I have one favourite!! Larry Carlton '(It Was) Only Yesterday' maybe..... (or Zep 'Lemon Song'), can't really decide, far too many.