Which MIAB pedal?

jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
Last week I played a Plexi clone with a lovely chewy medium gain sound. Playing country rock I don’t need high gain or a super tight Marshall tone.
Which MIAB pedal is best for this sort of tone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    The last time I went down that rabbit hole, I ended up with a RambleFX Marvel Drive v3.

I'd offer it to you as I've since switched use a Helix, but it's already gone!

R.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    This is a great era for excellent MIAB pedals. The ones I’ve owned which are particularly good at low to mid gain stuff are the Revival Drive (mine is the compact version) and the Bogner mini Blue. 

The Wampler Pantheon is also excellent, as is the JHS Charlie Brown. I also really liked the La Grange and the Marvel Drive.

But there are many other great MIAB pedals available now too. The level of quality is generally very good, but different pedals may suit your particular rig better.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1496
    The J Rockett 45 Caliber does a good plexi impression. NUX plexi crunch if on a budget. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    ThorpyFX Bunker is excellent and def worth checking out 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Depending on budget…..Kingsley Constable is utterly superb, as it is basically a Plexi amp in pedal format. 
  • jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
    Thanks all - I'll check all of those out!
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I've had quite a few MAIB's the one that's stayed on my board has been the Friedman Smallbox which can switch between hi gain and Plexi. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Nu X Plexi is pretty high gain even at its lowest, Id class it as distortion…I like it a lot, but could do with something else for overdrive/low gain
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    edited June 2022
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    I like my Xotic SL drive - sounds great and doesn't take up loads of pedalboard space.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    SL Drive. 

Been around the houses with the marvel drive, angry charlie, marshall drivemaster, OCD, crunch box and many others - never sold the SL and keep coming back to it. 

Seems to work the best for me with any gutiar into a clean fender style amp every time - and the dip switches are very useful. 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    for your needs, try the super bass settings on 18v, very chewy, fat and responsive - not overly compressed for gainy 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    HoraceB said:
    I've had quite a few MAIB's the one that's stayed on my board has been the Friedman Smallbox which can switch between hi gain and Plexi. 
    Which have you tried?

I’m currently using the plexi setting on the Bogner Blue Mini.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    Radial Tonebone Hot British.  Needs a non-standard power supply (or 18v at a push), but otherwise perfect.  Very wide range of excellent tones, yet easy to dial in.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Classic said:
    HoraceB said:
    Which have you tried?

I’m currently using the plexi setting on the Bogner Blue Mini.
    I've had a Marvel Drive (twice), Rockett 45, Constable (superb but big), SL Drive, Revival Drive, JHS (Angry Charlie, Charlie Brown , Andy Timmons) , BE-OD, Suhr Riot, OCD and a few others I can't remember.
    Worth noting that I've changed amps a few times as well and I found that some pedals paired better than others with different amps, the Constable was superb with my old Suhr Hedgehog. I had a Smallbox amp for a little while but I prefer a EL84 sounding amp and have found I can get into better Marshall territory with a pedal into a EL84 amp than I could get with a "Vox" style pedal into a EL34 amp.  Currently the Smallbox pedal  works really well with my Morgan AC20. If the 
    Blue Mini is working for you I'd stick with it :)