Bands you used to love back in the day but can't listen to now

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3617
    I must admit I rarely listen to LZ these days.

Regarding the aforementioned Doors, I had not listened to them for years but the other day put on LA Woman as a trip down memory lane - WOW, magnificent.

They are back on the playlist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Neil said:
    I must admit I rarely listen to LZ these days.
    I went through a long period of not being able to, mostly because of Plant’s hideous screeching, but recently I’ve been listening again and found I can just about tolerate him for the benefit of the rest of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    There are bands I used to love who were stepping stones to the music I love now. I would probably not listen to them now as their "purpose" has been fulfilled but that doesn't diminish their value at the time I liked them.

That said, there are some shred albums that will probably never hit the turntable again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4172
    edited June 2022
    Agree with the OP on the Stones and The Doors, and with those saying Led Zep and Pink Floyd. Would add Cream, The Smiths and Primal Scream
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    I think it would be easier to list the ones that I still listen to.

Tons of stuff has fallen away. That's not to mean they weren't important to me in my teenage and 20s years, just that times move on.

I'll still smile if they pop up on a shuffle play, but it won't make me put an album on again.

AC/DC is probably the biggest casualty of my youth. Loved them. Seen them live on many occasions but for whatever reason they just don't get me going anymore. Even if I put on Live at Donington (I was there) it only raises a nostalgia smile these days.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    +1 to Cream. I was mildly obsessed when I was 17-ish and just learning the guitars. 20 years on and they're so far off the radar I didn't even remember them in my first post.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2513
    2 words... BON JOVI
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I like rediscovering stuff, often hearing it in a new light. Lots of things that I wouldn’t choose to put on but happy enough if they come up; I’m not sure that my musical tastes got fixed as an absolute when I was 16. 
    I’m probably weeks away from my four yearly cycle of rediscovering ZZ Top and I remember discovering them when I was probably 15. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    edited June 2022
    Some of the urgency to know about the musical output of a given artiste or band diminishes when the intervals between releases get longer or they disband.

My keeness on Magazine reduced once John McGeoch jumped ship. I knew that they were diminished by that line-up change. The 2011 reunion album piqued my interest enough to buy it but not enough to get tickets for the accompanying UK tour.

My younger self would traverse the country and kip on sofas or floors to get to see favourite bands. My present day self can't be arsed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Marillion.

Turns out my 16 year old tastes were fallible.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    Radiohead. I probably also just over listened to them. Thom's singing grates on me alot more now and the songs are less melodic. Have not even listened to the two newest albums. 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    none at all  that I  "just cant listen to"   just a few I dont "so much any more"

Deep Purple
    Hendrix
    Cream

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    RHCP. My gateway to funk in 1991 but it turns out that they are actually deeply unfunky. 

A zillion early nineties alt-rock bands.

Zep. 

Etc

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Thin Lizzy.
    There we’re bands I had little phases on, like Genesis, but I never loved them like some of my mates did, but that early nonsense truly is dreadful..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    bertie said:
    none at all  that I  "just cant listen to"   just a few I dont "so much any more"

Deep Purple
    Hendrix
    Cream

Those three have come up a lot!  Cream I never really loved and it never crosses my mind to listen to them now.  Deep Purple - I still like the original albums up to Come Taste the Band, but I've given up trying to like the later stuff.  Hendrix I tend to "rediscover" once a decade or so; it's been a long time since I've listened to his albums but I think I will still like them next time I play them.

There are quite a few bands still around who've been going for 40 to 50 years who still release an occasional album... and they're hardly ever as good as the albums from the '70s and '80s.  In some cases I still buy the new records out of nostalgia, in other cases I just give up and only listen to the old stuff.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Soundgarden. 
    They were great - until I saw them live.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    I've been listening to JJ72's debut just now. It's actually quite good for angsty 2000-ish, post-Pumpkins, goth-ish, Irish-ish rock
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Vai - I think I know every note now, and it’s not like classical music where you can listen to a different orchestra or pianist or whatever and get new juice out of them; those Vai albums I just know so completely off by heart that I hardly ever get the lust to listen to them much. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Ozzy.  I was never big into his stuff but since finding out what a complete idiot he and his wife both are I just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  The man has built his career riding on the coattails of genius but he takes all he credit while his wife does everything in her power to make sure those who are responsible for his success get as little recognition or reward as possible.

Heinous people, the pair of them.

I also haven't listened to a certain period of Pat Travers' work for a long time.  It's not that I don't like it, it's just all very much of the same.  While once it really used to appeal to me I just think "meh" about that period in his catalogue now.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    Haych said:
    Ozzy.  I was never big into his stuff but since finding out what a complete idiot he and his wife both are I just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  The man has built his career riding on the coattails of genius but he takes all he credit while his wife does everything in her power to make sure those who are responsible for his success get as little recognition or reward as possible.

Also his albums are made like Taylor Swift records now - he just hands himself over to a producer and lets them make 90% of the decisions about the songwriting, the musicians, the overall musical direction.  I can't think of anyone else in rock/metal who takes that approach.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom