Dipping a car - anyone done it?

What's Hot
So...we just got an E87 BMW 1-series for the wife and she's suddenly obsessed with cars, having previously only driven a 2012 Peugeot 308 (awful, awful car).

I noticed that she was absolutely obsessed with fancy enthusiast colours, particularly this scheme:

I reckon I can get pretty close to that with FullDip colours (going with FullDip because their aerosol topcoat is fuel resistant, but it's not really compatible with Plasti Dip), so I'm going to wait a few months until I can get rid of her for a weekend and surprise her with it when she gets back.

Anybody else done it? Any tips/anything to watch out for?

I'm a bit concerned about the wheels - not sure that dipping the wheels is such a good idea, might go with standard spray + clearcoat for them.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I haven’t dipped a car, but I have bent a few…
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    I thought they call it vinyl wrap? Is that a different thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    What's dipping a car? Is it a new use of a word like "dropped" meaning "released"? If so I'm too old.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2254
    I thought it was going to involve dropping it in a tank of acid to strip the paint and reveal all the rust prior to an expensive restoration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    where are you buying from? My son has been through a few different colors on his car. it isn't quite as easy as it is made to look on youtube but it is certainly DIY-able.

the best advice I could give you is to make sure you put the full amount of primer on, mask up as though you are doing a proper respray (it is much easier than peeling to clean up) and if you are going to do a proper glossy top-coat then really treat it as a proper spray job otherwise it can look rubbish.
    this is where he bought his supplies from - they will also do the job for what I thought was fairly reasonable money.

https://www.matt-pack.co.uk/

• SporkySporky Frets: 28128
    What's dipping a car? Is it a new use of a word like "dropped" meaning "released"? If so I'm too old.
    It's basically a wrap that's applied as a liquid. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    That 1 series looks to have been wrapped (not sure if dipped means the same thing). I personally wouldn't attempt this as a DIY job after seeing the YouTube car channels having it done professionally alongside PPF. Lots of skill in getting the cuts right and ensuring it will actually last and not start peeling. 

Don't forget to inform insurance/DVLA as it still counts as a change of colour in to the vehicle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    if you haven't already done so it might be worth looking at DYC on youtube - he has some really good videos for the beginner
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    I once dipped a Citroen into a ditch and had to climb out the sunroof to get out. Best thing I could have done to that monstrosity!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Keith Moon dipped a few in swimming pools.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    I’ve enjoyed watching the process on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/IYjABzbqRbg

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26570
    edited June 2022
    I thought they call it vinyl wrap? Is that a different thing?
    It's basically using a product like Plasti Dip (hence the term) - it's a spray-on rubber-ish coating. I think it was originally intended as a clear coat to protect your paint, but then they realised you could apply a pigment to it just like normal paint, and apply a colour (and metallic flakes, chameleon flip-style stuff etc).

The great thing is you can easily return to the original paint job by just peeling it off.

It seems easier to apply well than vinyl wrap, and certainly easier to repair if it gets damaged. Also cheaper.

Simonh said:
    where are you buying from? My son has been through a few different colors on his car. it isn't quite as easy as it is made to look on youtube but it is certainly DIY-able.

the best advice I could give you is to make sure you put the full amount of primer on, mask up as though you are doing a proper respray (it is much easier than peeling to clean up) and if you are going to do a proper glossy top-coat then really treat it as a proper spray job otherwise it can look rubbish.
    Simonh said:
    this is where he bought his supplies from - they will also do the job for what I thought was fairly reasonable money.

https://www.matt-pack.co.uk/

Yep, there - at least, that's the plan. I need to find somewhere I can do it, though; nobody I know has a garage big enough. I'll definitely be applying a top coat (matte), purely for the fuel resistance and minor protection it adds. Unfortunately, the only top coat I can find that gives the fuel resistance but doesn't involve pro-level equipment and safety measures is the FullDip one that comes in rattle cans. That's going to be...a job.

Cheers for the advice - part of me is considering using hers as a learning opportunity before I do mine ;)

Don't forget to inform insurance/DVLA as it still counts as a change of colour in to the vehicle.
    That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that!
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28128
    If you git gud then I'd like my Alpine in blue-green flip-flop please. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Sporky said:
    It's basically a wrap that's applied as a liquid. 
    so how is that different to paint ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I miss Max Power

pink or brown?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    INNIT
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    You are seriously proposing to change the colour of your wife's car without discussing it with her first? I see litigation in your future.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I'm wondering if I could this stuff on our kitchen cupboard doors where the gloss coating has come away.

Probably not purple though
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Matt Pack seem OK, I've bought some stuff from there. Their 'quick guide' has some gems:

"Do not try to do the wheels on the car, you'll miss bits and it will look shit anyway"
    "Do not try to do 4 wheels with 1 can, you are not a hero, you are a knob"
    :D

Also says "we do not recommend doing full cars with aerosols, You will get patchyness and tiger strips, it will look terrible"

I wouldn't fancy doing a whole car with cans, it's enough work with a spray gun. Might be doable I guess but metallics and pearls will be harder than straight colours.
    I have sprayed Plastidip years ago, if you put enough on it's peelable but if it's thin you end up taking off a thousand small pieces, chasing it around etc.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom