Dipping a car - anyone done it?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    Corvus said:

I wouldn't fancy doing a whole car with cans, it's enough work with a spray gun. Might be doable I guess but metallics and pearls will be harder than straight colours.
    I have sprayed Plastidip years ago, if you put enough on it's peelable but if it's thin you end up taking off a thousand small pieces, chasing it around etc.
    Aye, I wouldn't do the primer or main coats with rattle cans - I'd use one of their full car kits, with the FD650 turbine unit. I'd only do the topcoat with cans, because they don't provide it any other way (you need a full compressor and hazmat setup for the "pro" topcoat, which is the only other one with fuel resistance).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1814
    pigface said:
    You are seriously proposing to change the colour of your wife's car without discussing it with her first? I see litigation in your future.
    Just do it in pink. The ladies love pink, so no worries. 
    Also put bigger seats in so thinks her bum has got smaller.
    Double win. ;-)
    pigface said:
    You are seriously proposing to change the colour of your wife's car without discussing it with her first? I see litigation in your future.
    I'm absolutely 100% sure she'll love it. And if I'm wrong...she can just peel it off.

But I'm not wrong.
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18725
    You clearly love your partner & that's great to see, but this could be a potentially large effort in order to fulfil what could be a passing whim.
    Not saying 'don't do it', just is this the best way forward?
    You clearly love your partner & that's great to see, but this could be a potentially large effort in order to fulfil what could be a passing whim.
    Not saying 'don't do it', just is this the best way forward?
    Yeah, I know. I'm not going to be doing it for a few months, so I've got plenty of time to subtly get a measure for her tastes. She always points out cool-looking cars when we're out and about, so that's an easy way to figure it out.

Also, as I said...this will probably be a test-run for doing my MG, so it won't be a wasted effort even if she doesn't like it ;)
    <space for hire>
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7193
    This liquid plasti whatever stuff.  Does it relic easily?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just saw some videos of this, what a cool process.

Sadly, around here, the process seems to have a side effect of making the driver need to maintain just inches of distance behind you and overtake in villages while listening to dnb, but hopefully you'll have immunity to this side effect!

Nice to hear you still have the MG. My mate had one, nice car once the head gasket was sorted (preemptively...) and he bolted down the bonnet after a minor collision. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    I hope you're going to put a coal scuttle exhaust on it too? 
    ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    bertie said:
    Sporky said:
    What's dipping a car? Is it a new use of a word like "dropped" meaning "released"? If so I'm too old.
    It's basically a wrap that's applied as a liquid. 
    so how is that different to paint ?  
    It peels back off. So it's sort of semi-permanent. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    my understanding is that it is a temporary colour change the DVLA do not need to be notified, also as I understand it the glossy top coat can be applied with the low pressure gun as well as the actual dip coat.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I think that the biggest problem might be re-sale value.
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    it peels off like it has never been on in the first place and actually protects the "proper" paint layer from stone chips and minor scratching etc. It really is quite amazing stuff and if done properly can look as good as a proper paint job. The glossy top coat can actually be flatted and sanded like a regular lacquer coat so you can get a spectacular finish.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Sporky said:

ah so its the technical term for that flip-flop stuff 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I be scared shitless of my usual DIY bodger technique tbh. Rattle cans on a Warmoth are one thing, this is another level.

Have you got a car-sized spray booth ? As I doubt it's a job for the driveway on a windy afternoon ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28119
    bertie said:
    Sporky said:

I think you can get flip-flop, but it comes in plain and metallic and so on. The main differentiator is that it goes on liquid, but can be peeled off if you want to revert to the original colour. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Jalapeno said:

Have you got a car-sized spray booth ? As I doubt it's a job for the driveway on a windy afternoon ....
    That's my primary problem - I need to either construct one around the car on the drive, or find somebody local with an appropriately-sized garage.

Trouble is, I can't make one in advance without the wife noticing, and I'll only be able to send her away for a couple of days at most.
    <space for hire>
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Wow. Some people sure have money! I don't have money ....
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    bertie said:
    Sporky said:

Flip flop in this context doesn't mean ' easy on, easy off'
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Jalapeno said:
    I be scared shitless of my usual DIY bodger technique tbh. Rattle cans on a Warmoth are one thing, this is another level.

This.

I've sprayed guitars.
    I have access to a spray booth just up the road.

When my car needed a spot repair I took it to a man and he made the problem go away for a nominal amount, certainly less than it would take to fix if I fucked it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    Wow. Some people sure have money! I don't have money ....
    Well, neither do I really - this'll cost less than any of my guitars... ;)

It's about £350 for the kit (including the turbine gun), and I'm looking around at pop-up marquee tents for the driveway...looks like that'll be about £150.
    <space for hire>