I thought Basswood was for cheap guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Musicman use it loads of guitars 3x the price mate 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/music_man_axis_super_sport_roasted_amber.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Why do you think that? All original Ibanez JEMs have basswood bodies.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Basswood was THE first choice for a good many Eighties shred guitar bodies. 

What made it cheaper was that it grows around the Western Pacific rim, thereby avoiding the expense of importing from North or South America.

The majority of Ibanez Gilbert, Petrucci, Satriani and Vai signature electric guitar bodies are made from basswood. Most of the back of the Edward Van Halen Axis/Wolfgang/whatever body is basswood. 

The recently introduced JV Modified series instruments are staying true to the original 1982 specs by using basswood.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited June 2022
    The Ibanez JS1000 was basswood and cost £1250 in 1994, and as @Rocky1991 ;; mentioned, Musicman have used basseood for years, including the EVH model.

Either Suhr or Anderson said they thought basswood and maple was the ultimate tonal combo, and while I'm dubious of that claim or tonewoods Having a massive effect on sound, we know what those guys charge for guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    I have an ‘85 MIJ 62 Custom Tele and it’s fab. Indistinguishable from alder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Basswood is John Suhr’s favourite body wood apparently.
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1729
    tFB Trader
    Body wood doesn’t really affect cost for solid bodies unless you’re talking figured woods. These days most are selected for lightness and to a degree the sound.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18665
    Why do we in the UK & Europe still refer to European Lime or Linden wood as 'Basswood' ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7163
    Some guitar makers, for example Sigma, also refer to basswood / lime / linden as "Tilia".
    Unless specified as Swietenia I wonder how many people actually know which of the many mahogany-like woods were used in their guitar construction.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Jeff Beck's number one is basswood I believe, but then again he likes Johnny Depp's playing and singing, so maybe he's not the best judge... ;-)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28016
    Why do we in the UK & Europe still refer to European Lime or Linden wood as 'Basswood' ?
    Because it's the recognised name in the guitar building world. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Sporky said:
    Because it's the recognised name in the guitar building world. 
    This- we just take our prompts from the dominant guitar culture (i.e. US) for this use of the term. 

There's nothing 'cheap' about it, save perhaps a residual association with 'budget' guitars. But this is mainly a reflection of how relatively abundant this wood is. 

The simple fact is that lime/ basswood has been known for hundreds of years as being a relatively light, very stable, and ultimately very, very workable wood. Check out the carving work of Grinling Gibbons for instance in 17th/18th centuries. He worked almost exclusively with lime because it was malleable but tough.

Add all that into the guitar making context- where lime can be a tonally 'balanced' wood for electric guitars, and you have a real winner. 

It is used widely in the Japanese Fenders, always has. I have one and there's no compromise on quality or tone. Underneath a nice think coat of lacquer it looks and sounds like a Strat. 

• NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    One thing I have heard re basswood is that because it is a softer wood it doesn't hold a screw as well as alder etc and can more easily strip out.

True or not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    Neil said:
    One thing I have heard re basswood is that because it is a softer wood it doesn't hold a screw as well as alder etc and can more easily strip out.

True or not?
    partly true.  It still holds a screw well enough, but repeated use of those screw holes can cause the threads to fail.   this is true of many woods

It dents a bit easier, and that lack of resistance to compression can cause issues on things like trem posts.  It's also less pleasant to finish.  It can be quite fuzzy in the grain and drink up a lot.  You may think its smooth, then apply a finish and all those little microscopic bits of fuzzy grain swell quickly.  Generally it needs something harder and more durable than nitro

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    One of my favourite older guitars, one of my first, is a Japanese Fender Squier, from when they did a 50's and 70's version, with a 3 bolt neck ( mine was the 70's obvs ), and I always thought they were using ash for the transparent finish and alder for the solid colours ala Fender.
    It is a fairly heavy body, and doesn't seem as soft as some of my later Peavey and EVH stuff, and my recent experiments with comparing ash and alder on frankensteins led me to believe I preferred alder as a body wood, for it's tonal signature.
    I guess there's no real way of knowing now, outside of lab experiments on individual pieces, but there's definitely something in between mahogany and swamp ash that I like about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 626
    I had a basswood blue floral JEM from new for almost 30 years. I used to pick it up by the trem and wave it around by the bar. It was rock solid and stable. It lived in different countries and stayed in various storage as well.

As WezV said "partly true" because if everything is done properly you can expect a great performing guitar.

Also, my JEM was one of my heaviest guitars but then I don't play clunky old designs that belong in a museum  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1323
    edited June 2022
    I bought the JV modified 50s version custom tele earlier this year - I wanted a tele again but didn't want to pay silly Custom Shop prices - this was the pick of the bunch in the shop for me and so I took this home and couldn't stop playing it.

I only learnt after it was basswood (I'd already assumed poly coated) - and was about to pick up the cork (ain't a real tele is it?) - and then came to my senses.

Gigged it thru a hot rod deluxe and few pedals Friday night and to my ears I don't think I've ever sounded better thru my rig. It sounded gorgeous....

There was a time when I wouldn't even consider something unless it was period correct with a nitro finish...  
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    "and was about to pick up the cork" not seen that expression before, I love it, gonna try and drop that into as many conversations as I can!

Re the OP, despite knowing that basswood is as good as aldar etc, I really struggle to overcome some completely irrational prejudice against it. And it is complete prejudice in my case, I've never even held a basswood guitar, let alone played or owned one. So I'm glad this topic came up and people who's opinion on this matter I respect have chipped in.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I want my guitars to be made of guitarwood. Basswood is for basses obvs.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom