1234568»

Comments

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    Texas - the magnolia emulsion of pop music

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited June 2022
    Rock music.

That needs qualifying because lots of the music I like could be and is called rock music.  The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, Santana, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, Dylan, The Doors, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Nick Cave, Tom Petty and a huge list of others. In his History of Rock Music in 500 songs Andrew Hickey even includes Motown, Stax and James Brown as rock music.

But rock is also used in a narrower sense to mean a more specific type of music.  Including but not necessarily limited to, heavy rock, heavy metal, prog rock, hair metal, grunge etc. And while it would be difficult to define where the type of rock music I like stops and the type I don’t like starts, I know it when I hear it and I pretty much don’t like any music within that narrower definition of rock.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    Has no one mentioned Muse yet? Admittedly I do like a couple of their songs but most of their output is just pretentious wank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Gilly said:
    Has no one mentioned Muse yet? Admittedly I do like a couple of their songs but most of their output is just pretentious wank.
    I gave up on Muse when every vocal sounded like he was busting for a shit but trying to get his vocal done beforehand, and only just succeeding. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    scrumhalf said:
    Gilly said:
    I gave up on Muse when every vocal sounded like he was busting for a shit but trying to get his vocal done beforehand, and only just succeeding. 
    Too much compression can give you bellyache.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Oasis - bland Rhythm's, dull unadventurous guitar.  Not an ounce of funkiness or groove at all. The nasally wine of Liam.  
    Noel is okay and some songs are pretty good, pity they are dragged down by the mediocrity of their musicianship and overly hyped bad attitudes.   

Ed Sheeran - Talented and likable but his music makes me want to stick pins in my eyes.

I can give or take Def. Maybe and Whats the story, but Lyla, Shock of the lightening, Falling Down, Hindu Times, Turn up the sun, all complete grooves, and far from unadventurous. 

Yeah those songs are definitely better, from a groove perspective.  I grew up on the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and both had great grooves.  Listen to Kinky Afro or I am the Resurrection, they just seem a world away from anything Oasis did in that department.  But Oasis did write some great songs and developed rhythmically over the years.  

By the time Oasis had got big I was bored of the Manchester thing. Saw Oasis in 1995 at Glasto, walked out after half the set.  
    I was blown away at same festival by The Black Crowes.  
    Probably just a timing thing with Oasis for me.  Had I been 5 years younger I’d be more of a fan.  14 in 1990 it was all about the Roses and Monday’s, LA’s, Inspiral carpets etc.
  • Kilgore said:
    Crypt of Filth
    Sepulchre of Doom
    Sacrifice of the Devil's Goat

Etc, etc. 

I've probably made up those bands but you get the idea.

When I was in Crypt of Filth we were voted 3rd best wedding band in Dalkeith.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1843
    Kilgore said:
    Crypt of Filth
    Sepulchre of Doom
    Sacrifice of the Devil's Goat

Etc, etc. 

I've probably made up those bands but you get the idea.

When I was in Crypt of Filth we were voted 3rd best wedding band in Dalkeith.
    I think the general idea is to make the band name so scary that the audience dare not disrespect you for fear of a devil's curse. Not a bad band name in itself.
  • I definitely think we had a degree of respect from the audience. They could tell we were serious, though I don't think any of us was classically trained. We were a bit like a hardcore Agadoo, with some GG Allin influences. You know what it's like though, the singer kind of got into those Norwegian black metal bands as well. In the end I got kicked out cause I wouldn't chip in for a pig's head & lighter fluid.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352

Oasis - bland Rhythm's, dull unadventurous guitar.  Not an ounce of funkiness or groove at all. The nasally wine of Liam.  
    Noel is okay and some songs are pretty good, pity they are dragged down by the mediocrity of their musicianship and overly hyped bad attitudes.   

Ed Sheeran - Talented and likable but his music makes me want to stick pins in my eyes.

I can give or take Def. Maybe and Whats the story, but Lyla, Shock of the lightening, Falling Down, Hindu Times, Turn up the sun, all complete grooves, and far from unadventurous. 

Yeah those songs are definitely better, from a groove perspective.  I grew up on the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and both had great grooves.  Listen to Kinky Afro or I am the Resurrection, they just seem a world away from anything Oasis did in that department.  But Oasis did write some great songs and developed rhythmically over the years.  

By the time Oasis had got big I was bored of the Manchester thing. Saw Oasis in 1995 at Glasto, walked out after half the set.  
    I was blown away at same festival by The Black Crowes.  
    Probably just a timing thing with Oasis for me.  Had I been 5 years younger I’d be more of a fan.  14 in 1990 it was all about the Roses and Monday’s, LA’s, Inspiral carpets etc.
    I was 15 in 90 and was also really into stone roses, inspiral carpets, las, soup dragons etc. 

I’ve seen oasis loads because one of my mates was really into them, I first saw them in 94 at Sheffield with pulp supporting which was fantastic. 

I hardly listen to oasis now but still listen to the rest, although plenty of oasis stuff sounds good when I hear it, not the same league though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    JJ Cale.
    I don't dislike his stuff but it does all sound very similar.