Tiny Tube amps (on a budget!) ? What’s my options

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Danny1969 said:

don't use any head without a speaker attached or some kind of load.
    ... unless (like the Blackstar) they're purposely designed to work that way. A headphone socket means it's safe to leave the amp with no load when the headphones are in, and Blackstars have an even more thorough system which effectively mutes the main output if there's nothing plugged into the speaker jacks.

But otherwise, yes it's good advice to leave a speaker cab connected even if you're not expecting any sound to come out of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    I would just stick with what you have and save yourself some money. Just select a basic sound from the spark !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    Have a look at the John Robson YouTube channel, he reviews the Marshall DSL1CR, it might be what you are looking for 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    I’ve got a lovely little boutique 2w 5E3 that i’m letting go cheap. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited June 2022
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve got a lovely little boutique 2w 5E3 that i’m letting go cheap. 

That looks great! 

A really well-regarded upgrade for 8" speakers in a small combo, is using the Celestion TF0818 PA speaker, as used by Quilter in their 8" combos. 

The wider frequency range of 70hz-6000hz and higher power rating apparently gives it deeper bass response like a 12" speaker. But also it doesn't have the pronounced upper mid-range hump that guitar speakers usually have, which with the slightly extended highs, in an 8" apparently works perfectly to reduce the "boxy" sound.

Pretty cheap upgrade that would fall within budget for the OP.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/celestion_tf0818.htm

• LeStozLeStoz Frets: 2
    Take a look at the Laney super sub 12. It's only a little over your budget and has a 1w input option. I tried one the other day and thought it was fantastic.