Ordered some Aldrich pickups for my LPC

robertyroberty Frets: 10893
That is all. I am excited

I've tried all sorts in that guitar and everything has sounded scooped. My Revstar with SSV and SSH+ pickups is my best sounding guitar. On paper this should work
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Where did you order them from? i’ve tried to buy one for years but every time I’ve ordered one, I’ve been told they werent actually available 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited June 2022
    Stevepage said:
    Where did you order them from? i’ve tried to buy one for years but every time I’ve ordered one, I’ve been told they werent actually available 
    Got the neck from Peach and the bridge from Station Music in Germany. Both black, uncovered. I'm hoping the value of just one pickup will be low enough to avoid any import fees https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    They sound amazing in any guitar IMO.
    #thebatesmotelband
    The neck pickup has arrived. Bridge should be here Tues

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    i have them in my LP Classic - truly excellent pickups imho - enjoy ..
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I had an SSH+ in the bridge of a Cort G290LE and it was a very nice pickup. Very articulate but struggled to compress well under high gain or fuzz. To its credit really if you’re more interested in classic rock etc. 
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    How would people compare the SSH+ or Aldrich to the BKP Holydiver for a a Les Paul. I'm curious on all these pickups as I fancy changing the Duncan custom to something a bit less scooped. 

• Stevepage said:
    I have the bridge version in the majority of my Les Paul’s 

Peach have been selling them for years. Almost always have them in stock 
    Stevepage said:
    I have the bridge version in the majority of my Les Paul’s 

Peach have been selling them for years. Almost always have them in stock 
    Most places are out of stock at the moment, I suspect supply chain issues. I couldn't find an Aldrich bridg pup in the UK

grungebob said:
    I had an SSH+ in the bridge of a Cort G290LE and it was a very nice pickup. Very articulate but struggled to compress well under high gain or fuzz. To its credit really if you’re more interested in classic rock etc. 
    I'm using fuzz into a crunchy amp and the SSH+ compresses beautifully with my signal chain. I think the abundance of low mids helps saturate the fuzz stage
    edited June 2022
    The bridge pickup arrived from Germany, it took a week. There were no import fees to pay. I suspect there would be fees if ordering a set (which is why I split my order)

I find the bigsby helps for pickup changes, you can easily unhook the balls of the strings and pop them out of the way while you work. I'd rather make sure I'm happy with everything before sacrificing a new set of strings

Managed to keep it reasonably tidy in here. Bit of a blob monster on the back of the neck volume pot, it's kind of tricky to get there

And they're in

Should have a chance to test them out at volume tomorrow. First impressions through the practice amp are that they're definitely in the ballpark
  • I have a signed Aldrich picture and his guitar pick I'll flog ya if you like :-p
    @Craigeymac86 I honestly had to Google Doug Aldrich, I didn't know who he was

I've settled on the Aldrich bridge pickup. It's a very different voice to the SSH+, at least in this guitar. Less highs and more upper mids. I wouldn't say the extra hotness that gets talked about really matters, the output is comparible but the EQ is quite different, much more in-your-face, but still nice and fat. Definitely different enough to be worth having one of each

I ended up with a brighter neck pickup, Tonerider Birmingham, 7.2k A5. For the way I use it it is a better match. I can pull it up closer to the strings without the bass becoming overbearing. It's a pretty bassy guitar, certainly acoustically anyway. I'm on the fence about how much the guitar contributes to the overall EQ, but there does seem to be a sound to this guitar through multiple pickup changes 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    roberty said:

Was that before or after you bought the pickups?
    Philly_Q said:
    roberty said:

Was that before or after you bought the pickups?
    Well, after. Same with the Reeves Gabrels Spacehawk. I was just interested in the specs
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168
    I bought a bridge Aldrich for my R7. A guy on reverb was selling both the bridge and neck.

Installed it the day it arrived and it sounds great!! 
    Went to get the neck pickup the following day and had been sold. 

A fantastic all round pickup. 
  • the_other_edthe_other_ed Frets: 110
    I have an HS Strat build, Shell Pink & Tortoise, Alder/Maple/Rosewood, that I'm just in the process of finishing up and fine tuning - a V70 & an Aldrich. I have yet to really plug it in and hear its personality...

But I honestly can't wait. Sounded very warm and somewhat 'smoky' when I was able to test it out during construction. Acoustically, the guitar seems to have an already Middy presence, so we'll see...
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    I’ve a set in my Strandberg Metal. They’re hot!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    I've gone with a Tonerider Generator in the neck position now. It's A5 and 7.6k but still quite meaty in the midrange. The Birmingham neck was too toppy compared to the Aldrich bridge. Been a bit of a struggle to get the Les Paul sounding how I want it to but I think I'm there now
    I might be going mad but I'm considering trying a ceramic magnet in the Aldrich. It's a great sound already but I could use just a touch more clarity through my Super Fuzz-style pedal in particular. Always chasing that extra 2-3%. It absolutely soars for lead work so I'm probably looking a sideways move at best

I have a BKP True Grit in the neck now, it is an excellent match both output and EQ wise. It's a lovely sound
    Ceramic magnet in Aldrich bridge pup is a win for me. Slightly firmer bass and slightly more attack. I used this magnet: https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/ceramic-8-bar-magnet-2-180-long

Here are the dimensions of the A5 magnet that came out of the Aldrich, I read that it's a custom size somewhere: