Holiday book recommendations please (fiction)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11306
    VimFuego said:
    on long flights I like to read "How To Hijack Aircraft", a cracking page turner. 
    I'm an extremely nervous flyer.  Whilst sipping a cold one in a Berlin airport bar waiting for my flight home, my attention was taken by the TV show being piped through the monitors.  It was called "Greatest Airliner Disasters" or something similar, and it re-enacted (in graphic detail) the final minutes of the poor unfortunates killed in commercial flight disasters.  When I say 'detail', I mean screaming, explosions, the full monty.  As a programme per se,  it was in poor taste.  As a programme being screened in an airport lounge , it was off the scale.  But who says the Germans have no sense of (black) humour?!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Experience the world of a strange kid who could well live in a fantasy world brought on by trauma. Or maybe this fantasy world could actually be for real. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bullied-World-Paulie-Boone/dp/B08QBYGJJ8

Catcher In The Rye/Tom Sawyer/Billy Liar mashup, featuring murder, assault, hauntings, cults, confusion and bullying all thrown in amongst the background of (ab)normal teenage angst and general fucked up shit with a fair dose of humour that you will all understand, because you've all been there. 

I wrote it. Shameless plug. 

I deliberately tried to make it different to anything I had read before, but with smatterings of my favourite books thrown in and I'm not a wordsmith so the vocab is easy to read and understand. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Actually I haven't read a story for years, I mostly do Biogs.

I have bought a bunch to read, Two I have seen TV adaptations of, so I know I like the story, and the third is well rated. They are all rated books actually, first two are award winners:

Neil Gaiman - American Gods (brilliant idea!)
    Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (set in alternative history Napoleonic times, a world where magic is around but in decline)

&

Gregory Maguire - 
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Dark and weird revisionist tone based on Wizard of Oz characters) Good for those who like satire, and love exceedingly imaginative and clever fantasy - apparently!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Cheers all, loads to look at now! going to go through all recommendations later on and narrow down the search.

Leaning towards Bob Mortimer as I'm imagining it'll be light reading and funny, he definitely has "funny bones" but then again its another autobiography and I really fancy getting lost in a tale.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    I've really enjoyed all of TM Logan's books. Great story-teller. Recommended for holiday reading. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    The man who fell to Earth - Walter Tevis
      flowers for Algernon -  Daniel Keyes 
      To kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    If you fancy a true story that reads like a thriller I’d recommend Bad Blood by John Carreyrou. 
    It’s the story behind Theranos, the Silicon Valley multi billion dollar start up based on a complete fraud. 
    A thrilling  page turner but it’s all true. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    The Smiley Trilogy by John Le Carré. (Actually there are about 7 that Smiley appears in, but read the main 3, Tinker Tailor, The Honourable Schoolboy and Smileys People)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    axisus said:
    Actually I haven't read a story for years, I mostly do Biogs.

I have bought a bunch to read, Two I have seen TV adaptations of, so I know I like the story, and the third is well rated. They are all rated books actually, first two are award winners:

Neil Gaiman - American Gods (brilliant idea!)
    Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (set in alternative history Napoleonic times, a world where magic is around but in decline)

&

Gregory Maguire - 
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Dark and weird revisionist tone based on Wizard of Oz characters) Good for those who like satire, and love exceedingly imaginative and clever fantasy - apparently!

I've read the Neil Gaiman and Susanna Clarke and can recommend both.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Modern easy-read spy/crime/terrorism thriller: I Am Pilgrim 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom