There are things that I just can not understand! Boooteek amp review with cheap guitar

What's Hot
kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
Maybe the answer is 42 but otherwise. Why review a seriously expensive amp using a seriously not expensive guitar? I mean, nobody is going to be all, "wow, I saved so much by not buying a Gibson that I´ll waste it all on a sweet amp"!

Eggs AMP le

Hughes & Kettner Coreblade Amp - Sounds - YouTube
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Reverse snobbery?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9703
    I was expecting to see an Encore strat or something there from your OP. He's using a decent guitar, and probably a level of instrument familiar to the average player so they could know what it might sound like with an average instrument of that type I guess
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    My favourite is boutique guitar/amp/pedals but apparently not a tuner to be had in the house, nor the ears to notice the need for one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    I gig'ed an Epi lP for years, was a great guitar and I wish I hadn't sold it. 
    A lot of fairly cheap guitars are great these days ... CNC machines, better tolerances on hardware, pickups wound more accurately. 
    I don't actually own a guitar worth more than £250 or so, there's just no need to. Expensive guitars are nice and can be a solid investment but if it sounds good, plays good and stays in tune then almost anything will get the gig done. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3315
    Wheres the boutique amp? Id say the H&K is on a level with the guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited June 2022
    Wheres the boutique amp? Id say the H&K is on a level with the guitar
    well its twice the price,  but Id agree its nowhere near a "boutique" amp, and the Epi isnt a "seriously cheap" guitar

now, where's that video of the /13 with the HB 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    Definitely not a boutique amp.

In fact - a rather shit amp that didn't even do it's main function of metal very well.

In that 11 year old video the guitar is the best thing being demo'd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Definitely not a boutique amp.

In fact - a rather shit amp that didn't even do it's main function of metal very well.

In that 11 year old video the guitar is the best thing being demo'd.
    The Coreblade is the over all best amp I´ve ever played. H&K priced it out of the market when they introduced it. That was why it didn´t become more popular. My amp GAS was cured and never came back after I got it.

Sure, I do buy the occasional amp but, that´s the collector/gear hoarder with too much money to spend in me.

I have pretty much everything except really vintage Fender amps but I haven´t even considered using them for gigs or rehearsals since I got the Coreblade.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24210
    There's no accounting for taste!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's no accounting for taste!
    Of course not. But there are always enough gear snobs and other musicians at gigs that´ll comment on your playing and tone.

Most gigs I´ve played with my OZZY tribute band I´d always get asked how I manage to nail Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee and Zakk Wylde with just one setup and no extra pedals.

As we all know, most drummers are usually drunk and near deaf but even our drummer insists I never ever sell my coreblade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    That's neither a boutique amp, nor a poor guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    Cheap guitars can play freaking great if se up properly, my favourite guitar is still my Korean Epiphone LP Custom and I have real gibos and had Ernie ball etc

Cheap amps can not normally be turned to gold as easily as cheap guitars
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited June 2022
    For the purposes of an amp review isn't it the quality of the pickups that matters primarily, as long as the guitar is at least decent?

He's using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom which is a still a £600 guitar, so not really bottom of the barrel (aside from the pickups).

When I first got into guitar stuff I was told to bear in mind when thinking of purchasing scenario that amp+cab should cost at least twice as much as the guitar and it's always stuck with me as "the norm" but I've never thought to question that and it was a long time ago so maybe manufacturing has made prices and that ratio different
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Makes more sense than an epic expensive guitar into a shit amp.

Plenty of well known music has been made with cheap guitars.  I love my Danelectro U2 which was probably a 5th of the cost of that Epi LP., And it sounds amazing through my high end amps.

I'd have said that was an average guitar into an average amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd rather have the guitar than the amp.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    All of the above but also a larger part of the sound comes from the amp than we care to admit sometimes - I’d much rather have a good amp and a lower level instrument these days than a good guitar and a bad amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4131
    Adamski said:
    All of the above but also a larger part of the sound comes from the amp than we care to admit sometimes - I’d much rather have a good amp and a lower level instrument these days than a good guitar and a bad amp. 
    Wis’d!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24799
    edited June 2022
    I bought my son a Squier Affinity Tele for Christmas. It spent a few weeks as my ‘office’ guitar while I tweaked the set up. I often played it through a TK Falcon and was struck by how good they sounded together. 

My PRS DGT never worked well with that amp but sounded great through other things. Ergo, not sure price can be used to determine what does and doesn’t work well together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 534
    Some people already have an inexpensive guitar or amp and like to hear these in demos otherwise it's not a true picture 
      of what can be achieved either way.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    prlgmnr said:
    My favourite is boutique guitar/amp/pedals but apparently not a tuner to be had in the house, nor the ears to notice the need for one.
    There was an advert for a particularly high-end guitar going round a few years ago that suffered from this, but that had presumably made it past at least a few people before hitting youtube