Joyo/Harley Benton American Sound

What's Hot
JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 115
Few questions/ponderings on this, I did buy one to try out for recording a while back but sold it on fairly quickly on the basis that I could get a better recorded Fender Amp tone using software sims. Thinking now I was a little hasty and should have played around a little more to try other uses.

-Anyone using one of these into an amp, as maybe a cleanish boost, additional drive? The pedal cab sim can't be disabled but some people (other forums) seem to think its basically just an EQ anyway - mainly high end roll off - in which case that would be easily compensated for. Thoughts?

Alternatively, on the subject of disabling the cab sim, I see there are various pedal mods out there to achieve this, anyone tried these?

-There seem to be a few clones of these around now called American Sound which even look very similar*, I read that Joyo had actually licensed it out (which is a bit odd given that the Joyo is supposed to be a clone itself of the Tech 21 Blonde) these are even cheaper than the Harley Benton one. Just curious if anyone has tried one of these or whether the Joyo/HB one might be a safer bet?

(*eg.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/summina-Guitar-Effect-American-Simulator/dp/B09VQ154CS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=ZVFGSSEIW1VV&keywords=ammoon+american+sound+pedal&qid=1655986657&sprefix=amoon+american+sound,aps,116&sr=8-2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224839510597?hash=item34597aaa45:g:dAQAAOSwHa5gq36l&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4IAXRJt8xNqsFvxElbGvdZF+igLxBSuz+rQYN3DmgYhTfLbImYnzz9tdA64pjqMw2xGLND5HRv94q4EyiEIm25/MWbA3b+ZteO8ZqNYMSDmcNo434YAECfFJ6Jj/jmDOtjmwMUIOfXHUfXJD8NookHmDRsiTJlNYehtksE2hi+M0BFafTw5iSN8ctslmlBgrdxoK7Mm10V329m6i3vPh+YpwzDVTDXKajNYO6OJSo5a5NjAx78zGzQOTBa5audBMM9CIztw23HzDxBKr2GGQPPU7P8Ah0JD0dmEuyakTCVpe|tkp:BFBMrKbf_bFg)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12347
    I use one into fender amps for eq and natural sounding drive. I really like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    I used to use the Ammoon version, which as far as I can tell is a straight knock-off of the Joyo for a bit less. Worked fine into an amp with careful use of the level, but I mostly used it as a pedalboard amp to go direct to desk at open mics/jams when it wasn't appropriate to have to mess about taking an amp, and I didn't want to rely on whatever was (or wasn't) provided.

Worked great right up until it didn't (which I think is a dodgy solder joint, but I've since bought a Quilter so haven't investigated).
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Used mine a lot into a clean amp to gig with, and a teeny bit of reverb
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I bought mine as a 'direct to board' emergency cover and never had to use it in anger. I did try it though at rehearsal and it sounded pretty good, IMO. I have also tried recording it as well and again it produced the goods, which surprised even me given my lack of experience at the dark arts of home recording.
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 115
    Thanks for those thoughts
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I use one in front of my SS amps which are set on cleans .Good tones ,good enough for me .You can get a cheapo amp  that has decent cleans (in my case a freebie )like a Marshall MG10 and turn into a useful bit of gear .A bargain .
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    edited June 2022
    It's my "always on" pedal when going amp-less into a sound desk. As mentioned above, it can also liven up any fairly dull clean sounding  amp. To my ears it sounds great. I am not sure why anyone would want to start hacking around with disabling the amp sim in one of these, but each to their own - it's not like there is a shortage of affordable alternatives that give you overdrive without an amp sim.

I cant compare it with software sims, as I use it live not at home. 

After I owned it for a while I liked it so much, I thought about buying the Tech 21 pedal that it is based on. But the online A/B comparisons between the two pedals didn't reveal a huge difference to my cloth ears. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I had one and never bounded with it. I guess I don't like the BF mic'ed kind of sound!
    Bought it because I had a Tech 21 Liverpool and that thing sounded amazing! I actually gig'ed it a couple of times when I was lazy to bring the amps.
    Since I started using a DRRi, I thought I would prefer the American sound but sold it quickly cause I could never get it to sound good.