Selling my gear because of vet bills... GoFundMe link and check out my pedal sale

What's Hot
jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
edited June 2022 in Off Topic
Hey everyone, 

I've got a thread up on FX£ selling all my pedals because my Basset Hound, Ladybird, ate some seaweed and has required 5 GI surgeries over the last few months. In total it came to £32,000 and my insurance is only up to £16,000.

The response to the pedal selling thread has been amazing. Lots of people bought, paid more than I asked, donated to our GoFundMe and have generally been amazingly sound and supportive. 

Without sounding like a Britains Got Talent sob story, I've just got over cancer and married my American wife. The money we'd saved for her VISA and a honeymoon has gone towards the vets bill and I've just sold my Les Paul. 

At admins invitation, I've posted this here so people can have a look at the pedals or contribute to the GoFundMe. My wife cannot understand that a bunch of folks from a UK guitar geek message board have been chipping in and she's completely blown away. 

So, here's a link to the gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/f/ladybird-the-basset-hound?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Here's a link to the pedal sale: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/229909/selling-all-pedals-20-to-cover-12k-vet-bill-catalinbread-fulltone-wampler-solidgoldfx-plus/p1

And here's a picture of said Ladybird. The stupidest but most loveable hound dog in the world. 
https://i.imgur.com/ZM00ZJa.jpg
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    Stickied for a bit, because...I've been there, in the hole with vet bills, and this feels hauntingly familiar.

This won't be a regular thing, but...just wanted to help out, and I figured some of you guys would too (if it wasn't hidden in the classifieds).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited June 2022
    Winnie and Wilf have made a donation

How old is she  BTW?    What did the seaweed do ?  I can only imagine a physical thing, like twisted gut (like rawhide does) ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Donated (anonymous) :+1: 
  • jfraze5150jfraze5150 Frets: 262
    I wish there was a 'LOVE' response instead of just lol, wow and wisdom. 

It got stuck in her intestines. Initial surgery removed it but the intestines at the surgery site broke down. The same thing happened a further 4 times. She's only 4. We had discussions constantly with the vets about whether we should keep trying, could I afford it etc. Friends and family and credit cards had to be used to cover deposits and stuff. The staff at The Royal Dick Vets (I know) in Edinburgh were amazing. It's a world famous animal research facility (Dolly the Sheep). They are non profit and if I'm ever in the position to donate I will most certainly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If I reply with a 'Wisdom', please know that it's actually, a 'Love' with tears in my eyes. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    edited June 2022
    I donated for your beautiful dog & your big heart.
    However, if you ever again refer to us as members of a "UK guitar geek message board" ...   
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    Donation sent. Thanks to Lee for the Sticky - I would have missed this if it had only been in the classified section.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I donated for your beautiful dog & your big heart.
    However, if you ever again refer to us as members of a "UK guitar geek message board" ...   
    We're currently in the 'Off Topic' section of a guitar message board. I stand by what I said. Proud of it too.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can't thank you enough. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    For once I have no words, just blown away by the love of this guy for his dog  <3
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Donated $30 mate. We had a huge vets bill for our beagle recently, luckily the insurance covered most of it. 
    Hope she gets better soon! Love from Dave, Sara and Max the beagle!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited June 2022
    Just put 40USD towards it for you. Not much, but it's better than nothing. Greater love hath no man than his daft mutt, or something like that.  Our 15 year old beautiful dog had to have another £2000 last month and has been for his monthly £350 check up and treatment this morning to keep the old boy happy and healthy.

My goodness though, you're going through it with those vets bills. I would do it, and sell everything that I have, because it's just 'stuff' compared to one's dog. I absolutely salute you for your devotion to her - she's absolutely gorgeous.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1935
    Any update on how Ladybird is doing?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    Any update on how Ladybird is doing?
    She's doing great. Back home and eating well. She's not getting out the house without a muzzle on from now on. In the process of training her with it just now.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11625
    Blimey.  £32k.  As someone who's facing a £10k bill for one of our dogs to have surgery on both her hinds legs, I feel duty-bound to make a contribution!  

Glad she's doing well and donation made.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    That’s a hell of a bill but I can understand your need to make sure the pooch is sorted. 

Can I ask why your pedal ad says bill £20k and insurance maxed at £8k but this one is £32k / £16k.

Genuine query re the different amounts. 
    edited June 2022
    Chuffola said:
    That’s a hell of a bill but I can understand your need to make sure the pooch is sorted. 

Can I ask why your pedal ad says bill £20k and insurance maxed at £8k but this one is £32k / £16k.

This is the second time she’s done it. 
    Chuffola said:

This is the second time she’s done it. I have to pay the first 20% of the initial costs as part of my insurance agreement. You wanting receipts mate? 
    The pedal ad says 12K, not 20K. Because we put our honeymoon money and the 2K I got for my Les Paul towards the first payment. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Chuffola said:

This is the second time she’s done it. I have to pay the first 20% of the initial costs as part of my insurance agreement. You wanting receipts mate? 
    The pedal ad says 12K, not 20K. Because we put our honeymoon money and the 2K I got for my Les Paul towards the first payment. 
    Thanks - no, not wanting receipts but seemed a reasonable question when you’re asking for help.  Although you forgot to edit that part out of your second tweet. 

Appreciate the reply. Best of luck.