Elvis New Movie

What's Hot
Anyone interested in this? 
Looks very good, looks like right gear and clothes being used also some shots turning into the iconic pics everyone has seen of Elvis. 
Austin Butler doesn’t look or sound that much like Elvis, but he’s certainly got the feel and vibe of Elvis in the early days. Lot of research gone into film. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The reviews were pretty bad so I'll probably give it a miss in cinemas.

Not really a fan of Luhrmann's other films either but they usually are pretty decent visually. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3312
    I cant wait to see it. lt looks amazing 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    I do want to see it, whether that translates to me actually going to a cinema to do so and paying the absolute fortune for tickets and parking I'm not sure, but I'll definitely grab the dvd or watch it on streaming when it comes out that way. I tend to like his visuals and music, and this looks in the same style so I think I'd enjoy it.

I don't normally care for reviews of films, any more than I'd care for reviews of any art form really. Very subjective and can trading your views of something before you've even had chance to do so yourself
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    His movies while he was alive were bad enough. God knows what his new one'll be like.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    I ought to go see it,  well   its now or never
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    They haven't been bad. 81% on Rotten Tomatoes is a really high score. It's been received well across the board. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I do want to see it, whether that translates to me actually going to a cinema to do so and paying the absolute fortune for tickets and parking I'm not sure
    I go to Vue and the tickets are £5. If you have Meerkat movies or whatever it is now you get two for one too. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7165
    The sound track is good:

The only song I've heard a bit from so far was the Jack White one, where they seem to have added Elvis' voice underneath Jack's on a cover he did for a B side a good while back.

Sounds good, but then I liked the cover in the first place :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    It got my attention last week when Marty Friedman, a self-confessed Elvis nut, said the below about it.

Although I think he could have got his point across with A Little Less Conversation personally...

"Long “ELVIS the movie” rant ahead…you have been severely warned…continue at your own risk
    Aside from family of course, the only constant that has continued through the vast majority of my life so far is Elvis. A lot of you wonderful folks in here know how much of a fan I am, but for those who don`t. I`m a world class otaku when it comes to anything Elvis. I have over 1000 different vinyl records of his from all around the world, from remote countries on every continent except for Antarctica.

Of course I have all of his movies and specials on DVD, read all the Elvis books from the fantastic to the moronic, and have seen every Elvis related bio, be it a movie, a documentary or TV series, several times. I brought some of my Elvis collection onto the Japanese TV version of “Antiques Roadshow”. I`m not a religious guy, but the closest thing I have to a religious presence in my life is the way I feel towards Elvis which is completely different from all of my other favorite artists.

So you get it, I`m a fan. So you might think I`m biased about this new Elvis movie. There have been many Elvis biopics and I enjoyed them all a lot. But nothing could have prepared me for this one, and how it utterly destroyed every one I had ever seen before. Don`t get me wrong, the others were very well done and top class productions all the way. But this one is in such a different world that it obliterated its predecessors so violently, it`s made me envision a stadium class band showing up at a high school battle of the bands contest to the shock of all witnessing it.

My expectations were high because I heard Lisa Marie give it big praise and Tom Hanks has a solid record of being associated with hits. Still how many times do I need to see the same story I have seen countless times already? The filmmakers managed to tell the story we all know and love with so much fresh creativity, wonderful modern sense and from such a fresh angle that even a jaded Elvis maniac like myself felt like I was seeing everything for the very first time.
    In any movie (or any entertainment vehicle) there are thousands, if not millions of tiny choices to make in its production. It seemed that every choice in this movie was well thought out and executed with deep love and respect of Elvis` music and of Elvis the human. It was a huge treat to look forward to what was coming next in every scene.

Elvis has suffered the most disgusting posthumous “duet mashups” imaginable, not the least of which being the criminal pairing with Celine Dion. Most others have been almost as heinous, but some have been pretty good too. When I saw “Viva Elvis” on stage in Las Vegas, the “duet mashups” in that show were spine tingling and beautiful, created with love of Elvis as top priority rather than just showcasing the hits everyone knows.

So in “Elvis the Movie”, when the opening sequence (!?) started with a jaw dropping and haunting reworking of a very deep cut from the barely known “It Happened At The World`s Fair” soundtrack, I knew this was no cash grab biopic. The opening sequence! Not “Hound Dog”, “Jailhouse Rock” or “All Shook Up”, but they went with “Cotton Candy Land”, (!!) which was a throwaway song from a movie scene where Elvis sings it as a quick lullaby to a 6 year old girl. How they transformed this lame little ditty from 1963 into such a strong opening for a blockbuster film in 2022, was so incredible that I knew from that moment that I needed to strap myself in for what may come next. The entire 2 hours and 39 minutes of the film was at that same level of ingenuity and the storytelling aspect was so fresh and entertaining, that I didn`t want it to end. I shed tears at several points in the film, not only because of the content of the story, but in many instances because of the absolutely exquisite performances and creative new ways to interpret the Elvis songs I have heard my whole life. This is coming from a guy who usually abhors anyone messing with Elvis music. The music in this movie and how it tells the story is out of this world.

I`m pretty drained after watching it, actually. I rarely sit still for that long, but I was glued to every frame of this movie. My bony ass hurts. I`m so curious to what people will say about this movie, Elvis fans or not. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments. I hope I didn’t spoil any of it for you, or get your hopes up too high. Maybe I just loved it because I`m an Elvis maniac since I was 6. Maybe a non-Elvis fan may think otherwise.

Either way, I can`t remember being this impressed by a movie, so if you are on the fence about seeing “one more Elvis biopic”, rest assured, you ain`t seen nothing yet. Unless they make a new movie documenting the fact that he is actually still alive, this is, and will likely always be, the be all, end all movie about Elvis."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    He lost me at "otaku".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    They haven't been bad. 81% on Rotten Tomatoes is a really high score. It's been received well across the board. 
    All I'd heard was there was talk of this being an oscar contender
    U-Huh-huh

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    If it's got Tom Hanks in it it's probably going to be good, it's generally a sign of quality. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1327
    I'm just incredulous that Marty Friedman is into Elvis...?!?!

You'll be telling me next that Dave Mustaine is seriously into Brotherhood of Man...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    CaseOfAce said:
    I'm just incredulous that Marty Friedman is into Elvis...?!?!

…and Viz (comic) from what I remember. He seems a difficult man to warm to but has no end of eccentricities. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited June 2022
    Sassafras said:
    He lost me at "otaku".

Is ”otako” Hawaiian for “twat”?

• Listened to Mark Kermode's review this afternoon. Not only is he a professor of film, he's also a bona fide Elvis nut. He absolutely loved it.

I've been a bit hit and miss with Baz's other films (loved Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, Strictly Ballroom, hated Great Gatsby and Australia), but I'm really looking forward to seeing it! 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited June 2022
    I suppose the acid test is watching it if you’re NOT an Elvis fan.

I'm not a fan as such, but I don't dislike his rock n roll stuff. I think if you're only into metal or old time music hall then I don't it's going to be much interest