Elvis New Movie

What's Hot

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    scrumhalf said:
    If it's got Tom Hanks in it it's probably going to be good, it's generally a sign of quality. 
    He's been highly praised for this portrayal of The Colonel. TBH, I had no idea he was Elvis's manager. I only know him because of the fried chicken business. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Kilgore said:
    scrumhalf said:
    If it's got Tom Hanks in it it's probably going to be good, it's generally a sign of quality. 
    He's been highly praised for this portrayal of The Colonel. TBH, I had no idea he was Elvis's manager. I only know him because of the fried chicken business. 
    Easily transfer from a singer to a zinger
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Kilgore said:
    . I only know him because of the fried chicken business. 
    Tom Hanks has a fried chicken business ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    He could have a fried chicken business! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Some of the songs they have picked has been inspired, Jack White with Elvis on Power of my Love from Arguably Elvis’ finest period is superb. I can honestly see another number one coming out of this. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    bertie said:
    Kilgore said:
    . I only know him because of the fried chicken business. 
    Tom Hanks has a fried chicken business ?
    Shrimps I thought.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Mrstone1 wants to see it…..so I’ll let you know what we both think of it…. B)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7029
    Does anybody die in this movie?
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    BillDL said:
    Does anybody die in this movie?
    uh huh huh....

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    I suppose the acid test is watching it if you’re NOT an Elvis fan.
    I'm not much of an Elvis fan and it's years since I've watched a film on acid. 
    I'll give it a go and report back :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    "Now that's a real good looking boy"

Martina McBride is quite easy on the eye too. Good green screen edit.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Listened to Mark Kermode's review this afternoon. Not only is he a professor of film, he's also a bona fide Elvis nut. He absolutely loved it.

I've been a bit hit and miss with Baz's other films (loved Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, Strictly Ballroom, hated Great Gatsby and Australia), but I'm really looking forward to seeing it! 
    Just watched Kermode on YouTube. That must be the most positive review he’s ever given. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Listened to Mark Kermode's review this afternoon. Not only is he a professor of film, he's also a bona fide Elvis nut. He absolutely loved it.

I've been a bit hit and miss with Baz's other films (loved Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, Strictly Ballroom, hated Great Gatsby and Australia), but I'm really looking forward to seeing it! 
    Just watched Kermode on YouTube. That must be the most positive review he’s ever given. 

Not sure what movie he was watching then.  I saw it yesterday and while the music was great and, yes, there were some nice deep cuts used the whole thing was a gaudy mess.  Way too long too.

It wasn't biopic like Walk The Line, it wasn't fantasy like Rocketman ... it was just odd.

Maybe it's just not for me because I'm not an Elvis obsessive ... but if it was made only for obsessives that feels like it's missed the point.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    Sounds good, but I bet it missed the bit where he meets a boy with callipers on his legs and gets the idea for his hip shuffle. That kid went on to be a war hero, table tennis champion, NFL star and a shrimping boat billionaire. 

One day they'll realise the importance of that kid on the world and make a film about him. Truly inspirational. Elvis probably owes his career to him.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    I'm not a fan as such, but I don't dislike his rock n roll stuff. I think if you're only into metal or old time music hall then I don't it's going to be much interest
    Its not really about the music though. Its an incredible story about racial segregation, exploitation and the biggest pop star of all time. My wife hates elvis and nearly two weeks on, still tells every person she can about how great it is.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    Bezzer said:

Not sure what movie he was watching then.  I saw it yesterday and while the music was great and, yes, there were some nice deep cuts used the whole thing was a gaudy mess.  Way too long too.

It wasn't biopic like Walk The Line, it wasn't fantasy like Rocketman ... it was just odd.

Maybe it's just not for me because I'm not an Elvis obsessive ... but if it was made only for obsessives that feels like it's missed the point.
    A friend of mine walked out of it over the weekend, saying it was awful. Im just baffled as thats the only 2 negative reviews Ive heard 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Go see it. Pay no attention to some of the average reviews. It’s great, thoroughly enjoyed it in the comfort of the Everyman cinema Liverpool, with waitress service beers and luxury seats.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11299
    I like neither Elvis nor Luhrmann.

Looking forward to seeing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    If I say 'lover-man' in an Elvis voice, it comes out exactly like Luhrmann.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 938
    edited July 2022
    Not on my list of must see movies, though did quite enjoy 30mins of the sountrack whilst sat in an adjacent screen on Friday night waiting for Maverick to start.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???