Car falls from 3rd floor killing the occupants

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Reverend said:
    That photo shows a hole in the second floor.
    Most Asian countries have ground floor as floor 1, the headline needs Westernising.
    I only spotted the hole in the wall after seeng this FB page, I'd figured it fell off the roof from something like that Fiat HQ with a test track.
    It must have picked up some speed, reinforced wall or not. They didn't hit the brakes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Maybe the lift was out of order.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    That’s quite a narrow space to accidentally travel through without damaging either side of the window frame…and the car has gone right over the little speed bumps too.  

Suicide? Disgruntled employee?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3617
    mrkb said:

not sure how an autopilot would react if engaged inside a building, not sure if it sees the photocopier as a hazard..
    More likely a potential mate :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275

More likely one of those foot-on-the-wrong-pedal-then-panic moments. They happen quite often, in every country. But given (a) the huge oomph off the mark of an electric car, plus the upstairs location, plus the failure to have effective safety barriers, that "woops moment" became a tradgedy.

-----------------------------------------------

By the way, it's not "Westernise". Most of the world outside Europe uses 1, 2, 3 rather than G, 1, 2. Canada and the USA, most of South America, Norway for some reason, and almost all of Asia. The relatively small number of countries that use "G, 1, 2"  amounts to most of Europe, plus places where the European influence was or is strong. These are mostly former colonies. Often, especially where European and US or Asian influence are both present, both systems are used. For example, Vietnam is mostly "1, 2, 3" but not always; NZ and Oz are mostly "G, 1, 2" but you can't rely on it, and so on. Personally, I prefer the system they use in multi-storey car parks - to find your car, just keep going up the stairs until you get to the light blue door with the camel on it, or the yellow door with the fish. So far, so good. Then you have to remember which car you are driving today and what colour it is. :(

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Tannin said:

More likely one of those foot-on-the-wrong-pedal-then-panic moments. They happen quite often, in every country. But given (a) the huge oomph off the mark of an electric car, plus the upstairs location, plus the failure to have effective safety barriers, that "woops moment" became a tradgedy.
    Yes. Or something like an attempt to demonstrate hazard-sensing automatic braking that went badly wrong because the car was lined up so perfectly on two windows...

Years ago I saw an accident happen which I would barely believe unless I had - a man was sitting in his car waiting to turn out of a car park, and (as we found out later) tried to adjust his seat. He slipped, planted his foot on the accelerator, and the (automatic) car then powered straight across a busy road with traffic going in both directions, demolished a bus shelter full of children, and ended up in the front of an estate agent's office. Miraculously, no-one was even hurt. On the way across the road his car just clipped the back of another one - but no more than a paint scrape really - the children at the bus stop somehow saw it coming and jumped out of the way, and the estate agent's desk was just far enough away from the window that she wasn't hit.

But it would have been very easy for that to have been several people killed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Tannin said:

More likely one of those foot-on-the-wrong-pedal-then-panic moments. They happen quite often, in every country. 
    yep happened in Bath a quite a while back,  chap in his 90 s  IIRC,  pinned a woman against a wall,  she sadly died. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11306
    bertie said:
    yep happened in Bath a quite a while back,  chap in his 90 s  IIRC,  pinned a woman against a wall,  she sadly died. 
    Remember that.  Some people should know when to give up their licence even if not forced to do so legally.  I'm 62 this year and I don't plan to drive any longer than I need to.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Engineers and builders spend a lot of time and money designing buildings without a 13th floor, it makes you wonder if they skimp on the rest of the building. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3617
    Tannin said:
    <snip>
     Personally, I prefer the system they use in multi-storey car parks - to find your car, just keep going up the stairs until you get to the light blue door with the camel on it, or the yellow door with the fish. So far, so good. Then you have to remember which car you are driving today and what colour it is. :(

It’s the light blue one with a yellow camel painted on the door. 

HTH :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Tannin said:
    I prefer the system they use in multi-storey car parks - to find your car, just keep going up the stairs until …
    … the urine stench on the landing smells like your own.
    Be seeing you.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    bertie said:

Also in Edinburgh recently - 90+ year old woman killed a toddler. I think she was trying to park it and ended up with the car on the pavement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    As I said earlier, reasonably foreseeable given the capabilities of electric cars...

The second one has been seen here before but the cause is the same, foot down = go!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1798
    I hope 'edgy' US comedians dont use this to plug their tired Asian drivers schtick.