Analog delay options

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

I'm after an analog delay, I've had a few but just want to make sure I have the options covered.

Primarily I want the bright slap / bathroom reverb thing.  I had an old Ibanez years ago that did that great.
I've had the DM2-W and DM3, both do it pretty well.
Modulation would be nice
Tap would be nice 

I've been looking at

Behringer Vintage Delay - Cheap but no mod and a bit flimsy
DM2-W - No mod but I know I like it
Echo Puss - Modulation and I believe bright enough for good slapback
Rubberneck - I have a HX Stomp for more out there delays but if it can do the simple stuff well without much tweaking why not.  The tap and whacky stuff would be cool.
Carbon Copy Deluxe - Better footprint than the rubberneck and easier on power.  Has the bright toggle.

I guess I'm looking up to £200 unless something blows my mind.   It doesn't have to be analog, but I can't quite replicate the sound in my HX Stomp and my Memory Lane wasn't great in that area either.  Needs to be amazing in the lower MS ratings then anything else is a bonus.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Tom, the Supro is superb, as is the Skreddy - especially the new one. Both have great mod. 

The Skreddy is bloody brilliant.

Also, Prov Chrono (mate of mine selling one) although digital has a brilliant tone filter which gives you full analogue sounds.

I'd go Chrono. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 951
    Just wanted to say that i have a rubberneck and while it is an excellent pedal, it wouldn't be my first choice for the 'bright /slap' sound. Mine is quit dark, and although it has a tone control it never really gets as bright/fast attack as some other analogue delays can.

That said i love mine and I think they are a bargain new so I wouldn't tell anyone not to get one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    It doesn't tick all the boxes but the JHS Milkman was the only delay I've ever loved, does the slapback thing very well.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited June 2022
    I've had the following:

Behringer Vintage Delay - Definitely NOT bright, at least as dark as the Carbon Copy.
    DM2-W - Brighter in the Custom mode, but I expect you know this. Still own this one, and sometimes thinking about rigging up some form of oscillator to feed into the Rate socket and thus produce modulation.
    Carbon Copy Deluxe - The bright mode isn't actually that bright, more 'dry' if that make sense.

I would recommend trying the EHX Memory Toy - bright at slap settings, selectable modulation (also tweakable for depth if you know which trim pots to turn), small footprint, and cheap as chips used. I use one for always-on slapback in a rock'n'roll band.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 442
    The Suhr Discovery is amazing but expensive.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Wish I kept my Ibanez AD-9, you couldn't give them away a few years ago. I still have a 1st gen Maxon reissue though, bought new nearly 20 years ago. They are still good delays for slapback but obvs not feature rich
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    russpm said:
    do they exist in the wild yet? - It's the only delay I'd consider buying which allowed me to remove my MF104M from my board for safety sake.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I found the Carbon Copy Deluxe a big disappointment. I love the old CC and so the possibility of longer delay times was very appealing but in reality it very noisy. Unuseably so for my taste. The Malekko 616 is a nice sounding pedal though the controls are a bit finicky and it tipped over into that weird thing analogue delays do when maxed a bit early in the pot’s rotation. But when you get it set to taste it’s a lush sound. It has modulation option but no tap.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    Gassage said:
    Tom, the Supro is superb, as is the Skreddy - especially the new one. Both have great mod. 

Also, Prov Chrono (mate of mine selling one) although digital has a brilliant tone filter which gives you full analogue sounds.

I'd go Chrono. 

The Skreddy Echo is also digital. Unless analogue purism is more important to you than whether it sounds good or not, that shouldn't really matter.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CFHCFH Frets: 456
    russpm said:
    do they exist in the wild yet? - It's the only delay I'd consider buying which allowed me to remove my MF104M from my board for safety sake.
    Have you seen the Asheville Music Tools ADG-1?

Designed by the ex Moog guy who I believe designed the Moogerfooger delay. I have one and I think it’s much closer to the MF104m than the Suhr Discovery based on the demos I’ve seen of the Discovery. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    CC Bright or Mini (with the toggle). Although a Deluxe is only £10 more than the Bright.   

The tc Bucket Brigade would be another lower cost option. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I have a delay llama extreme which is lovely but I miss echo so mine will be up for sale soon 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    Gassage said:

I'd go Chrono. 

The Skreddy Echo is also digital. Unless analogue purism is more important to you than whether it sounds good or not, that shouldn't really matter.
    I've nothing against digital but I think I do have a bias away from pt2399 delays that I shouldn't - I've just not loved the ones I've tried.....
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    CFH said:
    russpm said:

Designed by the ex Moog guy who I believe designed the Moogerfooger delay. I have one and I think it’s much closer to the MF104m than the Suhr Discovery based on the demos I’ve seen of the Discovery. 
    Sadly none of the requisite MIDI-smarts though
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    CFH said:
    russpm said:

Sadly none of the requisite MIDI-smarts though
    Ah yes, of course. I always forget that the MF104s have midi capability, but no presets right? Just parameter control?
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    A Stone Deaf Syncopy might be a good fit: modulation, tap, tone knob, different subdivisions, 4 easily selectable presets.
    I might be selling one, if you're interested... =)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26959
    MIDI schmiddy 

The Adg-1 is exceptional 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    roberty said:
    Wish I kept my Ibanez AD-9, you couldn't give them away a few years ago. I still have a 1st gen Maxon reissue though, bought new nearly 20 years ago. They are still good delays for slapback but obvs not feature rich
    Absolutely this. The nicest-sounding analog delay to my ears, and I used to keep it always on because it seemed to improve my guitar tone as well. 

@menamestom if you wanted to give the Behringer a shot, I've got one lying about you could have for £13 posted. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 442
    russpm said:
    Yes they do, i got mine a while  back via Peach. It’s the business!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Gassage said:

I'd go Chrono. 

Yeah it is- PT2399 - but it's still incredible- apparently it's down to an added compression circuit

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom