Analog delay options

What's Hot

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    CFH said:
    CFH said:
    russpm said:
    The Suhr Discovery is amazing but expensive.
    do they exist in the wild yet? - It's the only delay I'd consider buying which allowed me to remove my MF104M from my board for safety sake.
    Have you seen the Asheville Music Tools ADG-1?

Designed by the ex Moog guy who I believe designed the Moogerfooger delay. I have one and I think it’s much closer to the MF104m than the Suhr Discovery based on the demos I’ve seen of the Discovery. 
    Sadly none of the requisite MIDI-smarts though
    Ah yes, of course. I always forget that the MF104s have midi capability, but no presets right? Just parameter control?
    in and of itself, no presets... but in my setup it's controlled by a Morningstar MC6, so presets galore! and sequencers, multipliers etc. It's as good as delay gets. Obviously there is a tariff involved in that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    CFH said:
    CFH said:
    russpm said:
    The Suhr Discovery is amazing but expensive.
    do they exist in the wild yet? - It's the only delay I'd consider buying which allowed me to remove my MF104M from my board for safety sake.
    Have you seen the Asheville Music Tools ADG-1?

Designed by the ex Moog guy who I believe designed the Moogerfooger delay. I have one and I think it’s much closer to the MF104m than the Suhr Discovery based on the demos I’ve seen of the Discovery. 
    Sadly none of the requisite MIDI-smarts though
    Ah yes, of course. I always forget that the MF104s have midi capability, but no presets right? Just parameter control?
    in and of itself, no presets... but in my setup it's controlled by a Morningstar MC6, so presets galore! and sequencers, multipliers etc. It's as good as delay gets. Obviously there is a tariff involved in that. 
    Yup, they are fab. I sold mine for £450 about five years ago and thought that was a strong price. I missed out on one on eBay a couple of weeks ago for about a grand which now seems like a bargain. 

I think the Echoczar cops very similar tones for a bit less £, but again, no midi functionality. 

If midi isn’t a deal breaker, the ADG-1 is super hard to look past. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684

The ADG-1 does appeal.  Probably a bit too expensive atm.

Have just been looking at the Xvive Echoman and Pigtronix Constellator.  Interesting that they are both MN3005.  Xvive is Xvive and the Pigtronig are production replicas of the mighty Panasonic MN3005 Bucket Brigade, which are probably also xvive I'm guessing.

The control layout is exactly the same so I assume they are the same pedal.  Tempted on the echoman, should have got one at £50, they are £100 now and I don't love mini pedals, but it ticks a few boxes.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited June 2022
    I liked the Xvive Echoman but found it a bit too hissy in my set up, which is the trade off for a brighter sound I guess.

I really like the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail. It has mod, with rate/depth controls on top, similar in sound to the standard Carbon Copy. However, it can also run at 18V (and says so on the case itself) which brightens the sound and gives it more headroom. Also uses up an otherwise unused slot on my power supply!

What's permanently on my board, and which is my stock answer for a great analog (sounding) delay, is the Strymon Brigadier. Superb sounding pedal, can dial in darkness or brightness with no hiss - although you can add some of that back in too if you feel it's an important part of the sound - and does everything from very short to very, very long delay times. And it has tap tempo, of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    @markv is spot on.

The Vapour Trail is so underrated and one of the best ‘analogue’ delays.
  • @markv is spot on.

Anyone tried the Vapour Trail Deluxe? As a big box DMM owner, a DMM1100TT is very tempting  but the Vapour Trail Deluxe seems like the same thing in a smaller footprint, cheaper and without the random EHX let’s-bugger-it-up factor
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Gassage said:
    Tom, the Supro is superb, as is the Skreddy - especially the new one. Both have great mod. 

The Skreddy is bloody brilliant.

Also, Prov Chrono (mate of mine selling one) although digital has a brilliant tone filter which gives you full analogue sounds.

I'd go Chrono. 

The Skreddy Echo is also digital. Unless analogue purism is more important to you than whether it sounds good or not, that shouldn't really matter.
    I've nothing against digital but I think I do have a bias away from pt2399 delays that I shouldn't - I've just not loved the ones I've tried.....
    The VFE Blueprint was a lovely sounding PT2399 based delay, very analog in tone but with longer delay times. I don't think Peter Von Rutter makes them anymore but they occasionally turn up secondhand.
    @markv is spot on.

Anyone tried the Vapour Trail Deluxe? As a big box DMM owner, a DMM1100TT is very tempting  but the Vapour Trail Deluxe seems like the same thing in a smaller footprint, cheaper and without the random EHX let’s-bugger-it-up factor
    As soon as the vapour trail was mentioned I was off looking at the deluxe.  Doesn’t seem to be many about but looks good.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    @markv is spot on.

I found it so dark as to be a bit annoying. But I thought the same about the Carbon Copy too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    edited June 2022
    @timmyo yup. Everyone raved about the Carbon Copy but it just felt like it had a blanket over it when I tried one; almost like a delay for people who don't like delays 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Ive had a Jacques Prisoner for over 15 years and its a great BB analogue delay with modulation. Back in the day i wanted a nice analogue delay with modulation and the only choice was this or a deluxe memory man which was the size of a house! Its just had a facelift too...

https://jacquespedals.com/shop/prisoner/
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited June 2022
    @timmyo yup. Everyone raved about the Carbon Copy but it just felt like it had a blanket over it when I tried one; almost like a delay for people who don't like delays 
    I liked the Carbon Copy when I had one, and you're right, I don't like delay. I love it! (I don't like cricket, though)

However, I wonder if they changed it at some point? I liked the CC so much I bought a CC Deluxe when it came out a couple of years later and pretty much instantly regretted it - I couldn't get it to sound the same at all, it was muffled, unless you switched in the bright switch, when it became noisy instead, and it had a very narrow range of usable sounds.

Or it could just be a personal taste thing. I do have recordings of me with the CC that don't sound muffled at all to me.
    markv said:
    I liked the Carbon Copy when I had one, and you're right, I don't like delay. I love it! (I don't like cricket, though)

However, I wonder if they changed it at some point? I liked the CC so much I bought a CC Deluxe when it came out a couple of years later and pretty much instantly regretted it - I couldn't get it to sound the same at all, it was muffled, unless you switched in the bright switch, when it became noisy instead, and it had a very narrow range of usable sounds.

Or it could just be a personal taste thing. I do have recordings of me with the CC that don't sound muffled at all to me.
    No I’ve read a few times that the CCD base tone is different to the standard, so it’s probably that.

CC are just on the darker side and some people want delays to melt into the background more.  I think that’s what I like generally, but shorter delay I want the opposite, so effectively I probably need separate pedals, or just use the Helix delays for the longer stuff.
    rawk100 said:
    Ive had a Jacques Prisoner for over 15 years and its a great BB analogue delay with modulation. Back in the day i wanted a nice analogue delay with modulation and the only choice was this or a deluxe memory man which was the size of a house! Its just had a facelift too...

https://jacquespedals.com/shop/prisoner/
    Shane on In the Blues on YT was saying how good these were.
    joetele said:
    roberty said:
    Wish I kept my Ibanez AD-9, you couldn't give them away a few years ago. I still have a 1st gen Maxon reissue though, bought new nearly 20 years ago. They are still good delays for slapback but obvs not feature rich
    Absolutely this. The nicest-sounding analog delay to my ears, and I used to keep it always on because it seemed to improve my guitar tone as well. 

@menamestom if you wanted to give the Behringer a shot, I've got one lying about you could have for £13 posted. 
    Thanks for the offer but I think I’ll just go straight for a pricey option….

So now I’m looking at the Suhr.   Behringer to Suhr in 2 pages, even I’m impressed with that!

I’m thinking Midi would work pretty well having the HX Stomp, I could make use of the presets.

Either that or I have a £550 slapback echo.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284

So now I’m looking at the Suhr.   Behringer to Suhr in 2 pages, even I’m impressed with that!

I’m thinking Midi would work pretty well having the HX Stomp, I could make use of the presets.

Either that or I have a £550 slapback echo.

I’ve been thinking about getting the Discovery (if it actually arrives in stock at a UK retailer) but I’m not sure it would give me anything I want over my DMM 1100TT. MIDI? Don’t need it. Presets? Nah. Tone controls? I already have a graphic EQ in the loop of my DMM. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    edited June 2022
    I really like the look of the Suhr, but I can't help thinking of it like a mythical creature seeing as it's still not in shops a year after "launch"

I will probably still buy one when they're readily available though..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    I really like the look of the Suhr, but I can't help thinking of it like a mythical creature seeing as it's still not in shops a year after "launch"

I will probably still buy one when they're readily available though..
    Well, if you are near Chorley you are welcome to come and check mine out.
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Maude