flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
edited June 2022 in Making Music
This is the vote for the 19th cover challenge:

Fell In Love With A Girl

or

any other song beginning with F

Entries can be found in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-19-f

ll that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

There is a bonus 5 points for covering the specified track

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 1st July 2022

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Needless to say, this hasn't been a normal challenge.

I'm not going to vote. It just doesn't feel right under the circumstances
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6797
    edited June 2022
    1st June?!? Assume thats meant to be 1st July?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    1st June?!? Assume thats meant to be 1st July?

It means I've not had enough coffee this morning.

Cheers!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    I've been thinking this over, and I will vote later in the week.

It does feel a bit odd, but Stu was all about fun (and mischief), and about encouraging people. For me, there are three parts to the fun of the challenges: actually producing something (although that will be less fun without Stu around to bounce things off); seeing what other people turn in; and seeing what it is that others did or didn't like in any given challenge (and sometimes bitching about their poor taste on WhatsApp with Stu ;) ).

As ever there's a playlist full of great entries, and people have put the time and effort in to make them. Much as it feels odd to vote on a list where he has two entries and is no longer with us, I reckon it would be worse to just let it fall flat.

That's not to guilt anyone else into voting if they don't want to, especially not @flying_pie ; it's just where I think my own feelings have settled on the issue. The vote and 'winning' or 'losing' isn't really the point (despite the minor dopamine hit when it turns out something you've done has connected with someone), but the feedback, life and discussion is.

Personally I'm going to find it harder to get going for G, whatever it turns out to be, without Stu nagging encouraging me to do something, and bouncing ideas back and forth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Does feel weird voting and I think there is no way to do this without there being the shadow of recent circumstances hanging over proceedings. With that said, keeping this challenge going relies on entries and votes, so mine go to.....

5 points - @poopot (Falling To Pieces) - props to anyone taking on this track, his choice also sent me on a FNM listening spree. Great version of a great track and clearly pushing out of the vocal comfort zone with this one. 

3 points - @Bezzer - you have always had the guitar chops, but this is next level! More shred than a confidential waste disposal company and the best part of six minutes, bravo!

1 point - @mrkb - loved the loose feel to this and the cheeky guitar solo, really captures the thrashy style of the original.

Lots of mash ups this month and again a really good range of entries, well done to everyone!

As for me, I spent the past few months wrestling with an original collaboration track that was quite outside my comfort zone which has claimed all of my attention. It is happily queued for release now so I will be entering the next cover challenge with something either well within my comfort zone or not.... (Probably will be though).
    No sure if theres any criteria for points, but Ive used (in no particular order)
    - does it move me (make me want to dance, tap my foot, hum along)
    - does it make me smile with the unusual mashup/approach
    - does it make me go wow at technical ability/production
    - is it a great cover version that I love to see a band/busker play live

5 points - FellInLoveWithAGirlInAFastCar - @westford, loved the mashup
    3 points - Fooled Around And Fell In Love With A Girl Flying Pie - @flying_pie Id be dancing like a loony to that!
    1 points - Far Beyond The Sun - @Bezzer - not my usual type of music, but wow ! 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Thoroughly enjoyed all of the entries for different reasons, which made picking three and then putting them in order kind of difficult, but I'm going to plump for:

5 points: @westford - inspired mashup, tastefully delivered
    3 points: @poopot - Falling to PIeces because I love that song and it's a ridiculously good cover
    1 point: @bezzer - purely for the insane next level chops on display, and being mad enough to pick up the gauntlet in the first place

Honourable mention for @mrkb with a very strong debut (as expected, but even so).
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Very difficult choices this time around given the range of entries and especially the sad circumstances with poopot.

My choices:

5 points: @poopot Failing to Pieces, not just as a tribute but also because it's a great cover, with excellent production and vocals.
    3 points: Far Beyond the Sun @bezzer impressive playing and on a guitar forum that has to be pointed out
    1 point: @mrkb I enjoy a straight up cover and this one is great

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Very tough to choose between a good set of entries...

5 pts: @poopot (Falling To Pieces) genuinely the best of the bunch, and such sad circumstances
    3 pts: @Bezzer so quick my hearing struggled to keep up
    1 pt : @flying_pie (For Whom The Bell Tolls) highly original version
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    5 points @poopot Falling to Pieces
    3 points @mrkb Fell In Love
    1 point @fnpt Fearless

They were all great though, nice range of tunes and styles
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited June 2022
    No duffers, but my faves at this time - 
    5 - @mrkb  
    3 - @Bezzer ;;;;
    1 - @westford ;;;;

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Well this is weird for so many reasons.  I'm going to vote because I can hear him telling me off for not ha ha.

5 points @poopot : yeah I know how this looks, but I know the pains he went to in order to get this track done and I honestly think the end results speak for themselves.  Was my favourite of the lot regardless of bias.

3 points @snags : I loved this ... it was like Lou Reed joined Sparks and stole Lemmy's flanger. Made me smile.

1 point @westford : really nice mash up, and cleverly put together.

Honourable muncheon @flying_pie For Whom ... that Rocky Horror / Hammer Horror intro was awesome!

For all of you who have voted for me, are your ears working? Ha ha.  I didn't expect any points, I was just rising to the Flying_Pie baiting tactics and woudl urge you all to reconsider for one of the worthier tracks!  I'll give you a proper one next go round.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    Loads of interesting and varied entries.

5 points : @poopot ; : Loved the sound of this. Not sure how I missed hearing the original at the time, which I checked out. A triumph and great cover. Fantastic parting shot from a great talent who will be sadly missed.

3 points : @Bezzer : Bloody hell. Mega shred fest. I think my ears are working and I was impressed. 

1 point : @mrkb : Attitude and raw feel, in keeping with the original. Great fun.

It's not a competition.
    Voting closes 11.30pm tonight
    Voting closed