Alter Bridge Bleed it Dry - learning that style

relic245relic245 Frets: 959
I'd like to break out of my pentatonic/blues style of playing. 

Been enjoying listening to Alter Bridge recently, esp the Fortress album. 

Taking the track Bleed it Dry, how do I go about getting that kind of sound? 

I don't have the technical ability to do that yet, but believe I can get it with practice. I've been playing a long time and have some understanding of what would be involved. 

In terms of the sound. Is it modal? If so do you know what mode would give that kind of sound?  I did some music theory many years ago so have understanding of what modes are but never learned them from a practical standpoint. 

I know a good starting point might be to learn the song, which I will do, but I'd like to understand more about what I'm playing than just playing it parrot fashion. 

There is a tab on Songsterr which is where I think I'll start. 

I particularly like the break down bit at about 2.30 and the solo around 3.00 - it's a little bluesy but definitely rock. 

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y4gQK4sJ6E
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited June 2022
    Phrygian - well, a mixture of phyrgian and phrygian dominant.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    brill thanks @viz ;

Just out of interest, do you hear that and know that it's a phrygian sound, or do you know their music and know it that way? 
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited June 2022
    It’s minor with a flat 2 basically, which is the definition of phrygian mode. 

There are other notes that embellish it, like the major 3rd of phrygian dominant - I only listened to the beginning.

Cheers!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.