JCM800/SC20 bright cap on a push-pull switch?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
It would be nice to have the option of reducing the effect of the SC20 bright cap at lower gain settings, although not if it means noticeably changing the stock sounds and control response. 

Is there a push-pull pot which could be used for the preamp gain control which keeps the exact same sweep etc as the stock one? 

Anyone done this? Which alternative values did you use and what were your findings - was it worth it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    yes there are pots you could fit, but it depends on the board layout used in the amp, you may need to fit a pot with flying leads to the board, open it up and see what space is inside

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yes there are pots you could fit, but it depends on the board layout used in the amp, you may need to fit a pot with flying leads to the board, open it up and see what space is inside

Decided to go with a 3 way micro switch on the front panel with stock/less bright/none. Seems like the easiest compromise, and I can live with the permanent modification (getting it done professionally). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Update: I’ve got the amp back now, with a discreet micro switch on the front panel which selects the original cap value, a lower value similar to Fender, or no bright cap.

very pleased with the result - early impressions are that I’ll probably spend most of the time on the middle setting (reduced bright cap), which I think suits the amp best in the middle range of the gain knob.

The ‘no cap’ setting is best for clean or very low gain - looking forward to trying my Dickinson D1 overdrive through it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom