Expensive audio plugins

What's Hot
simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
edited June 2022 in Guitar
I realize this might fit better in an amp or FX group but I was hoping for a general opinion.

I like playing through my PC, it's an easy way to jam along with tunes and I can do it with headphones on. I have an old Line6 interface which came with Pod Farm which basically emualtes a couple of amps and pedals. Does the job.

Then I remembered Cory Wong does almost all of his recording using plugins, a big amp sim thing made by Neural.

I just looked it up and it's £119. That seems like a lot for a) something with no physical hardware and b) basically one amp sim when you can get the whole Helix software for £100 (if you already have the hardware).

Does anyone on here already pay this sort of money for plugins and digital doohickeys? Just seems really, really expensive to me, though I am a known cheapskate...!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    It’s not expensive. I have a buddy that buys orchestra/synth/production plug ins and they go up to the thousands. 
    As guitarists we are only really now starting to move to this mindset because our world has been so analogue for do long and the first forays in to digital were largely uninspiring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Not expensive at all, and worth every penny
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 146
    In my experience the signal to noise ratio and sound quality is almost always better on a VST plugin that a hardware unit when you're recording. If you're just jamming along why not try some of the free plugins available? Some of them aren't great, but some have some really nice sounds and half the fun of playing through a computer is trying different ones and finding something cool...

My trading feedback thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    This is not aimed at @simonhpieman just a general observation on this.

Software is thought about like music these days, the amount of time effort and expertise which goes into both is criminally underrated and we all expect to blag it for free.

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    This is not aimed at @simonhpieman just a general observation on this.

Software is thought about like music these days, the amount of time effort and expertise which goes into both is criminally underrated and we all expect to blag it for free.

Problem is for those working hard at it that many of the bigger companies have established that most anything they make will eventually be offered up at around $29.99 (USD) and it becomes psychologically hard to want to spend much more on anything. 
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 115

Then I remembered Cory Wong does almost all of his recording using plugins, a big amp sim thing made by Neural.

I just looked it up and it's £119. That seems like a lot for a) something with no physical hardware and b) basically one amp sim 
    Its not one amp sim its three,  with three different cab sims, plus an IR loader, plus a virtual pedal rack. As for cost, how much do you think recording with a real Dumble might set you back :-)

They have regular sales though, I paid about half that cost for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4080
    I didn’t used to like them as I bought positive grid bias for my iPad a few years ago to use with a focusrite itrack . I didn’t like it at all and unlike a pedal or hardware I couldn’t sell it on  so it seemed a bit of a con. Same with Ik multimedia Slash which I also bought.

Having got Logic Pro and a decent Mac and seeing and hearing demos on YouTube of neural soldano SLO amps I’m prepared to take another look as they seem to be significantly better .
  • PALPAL Frets: 515
    If you think something is overpriced don't buy it ! Simples !
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I didn’t used to like them as I bought positive grid bias for my iPad a few years ago to use with a focusrite itrack . I didn’t like it at all and unlike a pedal or hardware I couldn’t sell it on  so it seemed a bit of a con. Same with Ik multimedia Slash which I also bought.

Having got Logic Pro and a decent Mac and seeing and hearing demos on YouTube of neural soldano SLO amps I’m prepared to take another look as they seem to be significantly better .
    @hollywoodrox ;
    You can give all Neural DSP plug-ins a free 14 day trial. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    People are happy enough to pay £350 for this and you get a hell of a lot less for your money.

https://www.uaudio.com/guitar-pedals/dream-65-reverb-amplifier.html

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4080
    duotone said:

@hollywoodrox ;
    You can give all Neural DSP plug-ins a free 14 day trial. 
    Yesssssssss can’t wait . They have a half price sale too, I just missed the last one 

• stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    I bought the Neural Soldano plugin during one of their half price sales; makes my Amplitube 5 version sound like a toy.
    It’s not about how many amps / effects you get, it’s about their quality, at least for me.
    For me, that’s a lot cheaper and more convenient than lugging a pedal or amp around; I already have a laptop. YMMV
  • People are happy enough to pay £350 for this and you get a hell of a lot less for your money.

Except that retains value after purchase and can be sold on. 
    tFB Trader
    People are happy enough to pay £350 for this and you get a hell of a lot less for your money.

Except that retains value after purchase and can be sold on. 

You can sell plugins, people do it all the time.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681
    All good points, particularly about dev time/costs. Just still seems such an alien concept to me.

And even if it's 3 amps and 3 cabs and a thingybob, Helix native has literally hundreds for less money...

I probably just need to get over myself as several have rightly suggested. I'll get there.

Though I'll never, ever, understand the Pro Tools SUBSCRIPTION prices! Oh em gee!!
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 115
    All good points, particularly about dev time/costs. Just still seems such an alien concept to me.

And even if it's 3 amps and 3 cabs and a thingybob, Helix native has literally hundreds for less money...
    Huh?  

Helix is 400 dollars,  about 325 quid.  Cory Wong is 120 quid *if* you pay full price but as mentioned they do regular deals (mine was 60 ish).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Lots of these companies have regular sales. I recently upgraded to Guitar Rig 6 Pro for £44. Given my GR5 edition was also an upgrade from 4, which I got in a sale - that's really good going. 

I really like the latest Guitar Rig. Much prefer it to Helix Native, which I also own. 

• simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 681

Huh?  

Helix is 400 dollars,  about 325 quid.  Cory Wong is 120 quid *if* you pay full price but as mentioned they do regular deals (mine was 60 ish).
    Sorry, again, that's me being an idiot. I already have a hardware Helix so can get the software for $99. Not really sure why I'm making that point as you quite rightly point out it's usually $399. Though again, that seems really decent value...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I've got several of the Neural ones

Fortin Cali
    Fortin NTS
    Parallax
    Archetype Nolly

and I've got the Helix Native and a load of vocal / compressors stuff.

None of it is cheap, but none of is is expensive either.

£120 and you could record an entire album with the Cory Wong set. Just add drums and vocals.

It's a bargain.
    tFB Trader

I don't see that as a plus.

My experience of Helix is wasting time scrolling through loads of similar amps.

I find the Scuffham, GT-1000 all killer no filler approach much quicker to work with.