SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FT: The Pick of Destiny - TRADE CHALLENGE - Gibson Flask

What's Hot
Johnny333Johnny333 Frets: 167
edited September 2022 in Guitars £

I woke up this partially sunny Sunday with a dream, and a slight hangover. But most importantly a bold, ambitious, and quite probably delusional dream. After travelling for many hours/days hypnotised through YouTube wormholes I came upon a video of a cat that is also a DJ, but following that, the algorithm guided me swiftly to the story of a man turning a paperclip into a house (through a succession of various consensual trades, and a little bit of desperate begging), and I got inspired. 

The Dream:

To become a cat and learn the art of mixing vinyl. To gradually trade a humble guitar pick into a full-sized, real-life, actual guitar! So join me as we peak into the limitless potential of the universe/the fretboard.

The Pick:

An exquisite vintage quad-coloured Jim Dunlop XH 100% quality plastic guitar pick, reclaimed from the swampy deltas of the good ol’ US and A, and dripping in picking potential. This thing just screams investment.

Tastefully hand relic’d for that played-in feel, from a smoke-free / pet-free / social-life-free home. Bought directly from the original owner! This exquisite piece would certainly suit all playing styles from chunky-djenty-chuggers to floppy-jazz-noodlers. Featuring a premium psychedelic, holographic, epileptic text inlay exploding with 90’s Pokemon/POG nostalgia.

Skill upgrades/magical powers/deadly curse not guaranteed, but I guess possible? Manual unfortunately not included. 

Follow along for the ride, call me a filthy piece of capitalist scum, or show me what you got and let the journey begin!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool idea!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 834
    Is it the best pick you've ever owned but for some reason you just haven't bonded and find yourself always reaching for other picks?

Also, does it play like butter?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited June 2022
    I think someone already did a similar thing on YT but starting with a very cheap guitar and gradually trading up to a Gibson.

Oh yeah - its was Trogly 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Some one on here who's now banned did this, it didn't go well mainly because he was a bedroom dealer, who then used this idea to try and give low ball trades in the guise of this experiment,  
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Johnny333Johnny333 Frets: 167
    Some one on here who's now banned did this, it didn't go well mainly because he was a bedroom dealer, who then used this idea to try and give low ball trades in the guise of this experiment,  
    Sorry to hear that. I'm not trying to break any rules or upset anyone. Been a long-time fretboarder and just thought it would be a bit of fun. 
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    Will you throw in a pack of strings?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ImRevMatt said:
    Is it the best pick you've ever owned but for some reason you just haven't bonded and find yourself always reaching for other picks?

Also, does it play like butter?
    I've gone fully digital and am exclusively using an ebow. Don't fret, this pick plays like organic margarine and I'm sure I'll live to regret letting it get away. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Will you throw in a pack of strings?
    Would trade for a pack!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    I'll swap it for my air guitar.

It's a Gibson R9.

Honest.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Johnny333 said:
    Sorry to hear that. I'm not trying to break any rules or upset anyone. Been a long-time fretboarder and just thought it would be a bit of fun. 
    No need to apologise, 
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 834
    I actually quitelike the look of the pick and am not averse to a bit of fun so will see what I have to offer...
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    I'll give you two picks for that one. Both slightly gig-worn
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RevMatt said:
    I actually quitelike the look of the pick and am not averse to a bit of fun so will see what I have to offer...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4157
    I’ll send you some strings 
      Ernie ball 9.5 to 44 Primo Slinky  to get you started . You’ll have to PM
      me the address . I am going to town Wednesday  but may be able to send them before .

I hope you can find someone to trade up , or you could sell them and try to buy something worth  more  I think that still counts .

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll send you some strings 
      Ernie ball 9.5 to 44 Primo Slinky  to get you started . You’ll have to PM
      me the address . I am going to town Wednesday  but may be able to send them before .

I hope you can find someone to trade up , or you could sell them and try to buy something worth  more  I think that still counts .

Woohoo! Thanks for kicking this off mate :) Will shoot you a PM now 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
    That vid came up on my youtube feed a few days back too. Yeah it's not a new idea. I recall someone did it many years back. Quick google, and here it is:

I guess it takes a few generous people to donate in full knowledge they are losing financially.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134

It's a Gibson R9.

Honest.
    A Gibson aiR9, surely?!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526

It's a Gibson R9.

Honest.
    Don't trust him, I've seen it..., It's really a Harley Benton with upgraded pickups! Sounds the same though  :o
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

It's a Gibson R9.

Honest.
    Don't trust him, I've seen it..., It's really a Harley Benton with upgraded pickups! Sounds the same though  :o
    Just when I thought I was being controversial... 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966

It's a Gibson R9.

Honest.
    That’s the sign of a true player - no matter what air guitar, you always sound like you