Duesenberg Les Trems vs Bigsby

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 327
I've got an offset jazzmaster-esque guitar with a TOM bridge and having realised I've got nothing with a vibrato bridge on it thought this might be the one. I've considered the Les Trem as its the easier and cheaper option (and least destructive) but i've not ruled out anything yet. Anybody used les trem and a bigsby for comparison? Or has someone got a used Les Trem they want to get rid of (that'd sort it for me)
  My misgiving of Bibsby etc is the more destructive nature of fitting one.
ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I much prefer the Les Trem, to me it just feels nicer and its reversible
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    I personally prefer the Bigsby. Better range of movement (up and down). Also reversible with a Vibramate. 

See if you can play a few guitars with these terms.  Pick the one you like most. 

Les Trem is lighter if weight is an issue. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    The Les Trem is lighter, maybe a little more stable overall (doesn't seem to need as much fettling), and is the closest I think you can actually get sound-wise to a Bigsby of all the vibrato systems out there - but a Bigsby is still a Bigsby and nothing sounds exactly like it.

Overall I like the Les Trem in scenarios where a B5 would be the alternative, but anything without a tension bar, I'd probably rather have the Bigsby. Not that you always have a lot of choice in the matter of course, but I suppose if you were to commission a build or roll your own or something...

Anyway, I also prefer the look of the Bigsby, so there's that. :D
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    I’ve got a Les Trem I could get rid of. Installed it on my Firebird and felt great. The bridge just wasn’t up to the task.
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    JMS96 said:
    I’ve got a Les Trem I could get rid of. Installed it on my Firebird and felt great. The bridge just wasn’t up to the task.
    Second dibs on that please, if spev11 doesn’t want it (if it’s chrome or nickel).
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 327
    JMS96 said:
    cheers , ive just sent you a reply, that sorts that out, a les trem it is :)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I haven't tried a Les Trem, but I don't like the look of them. I LOVE the look of Bigsbys, and I also love the way they work.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26972
    Dig a hole in it and fit a proper JM trem? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Well, there's no point umming and ahhing about it. Let's just look objectively at the facts;

Bigsby;

Pros:

Looks really cool
    Wiggles
    Photons bouncing off it are happier
    Several different models to suit different guitar geometries and styles

Cons:

Can add some weight to the guitar
    Screw holes needed for some models

Les Trem;

Pros;

Cons;

Used exclusively by nonces
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    =) Nonce it is then =)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    If I have a les trem on a harley benton am I a double nonce or do they cancel each other out?  I've done the mythical pickup swap if that makes it clearer!

https://i.imgur.com/YbzJThh.jpg ;

munckee said:
    If I have a les trem on a harley benton am I a double nonce or do they cancel each other out?  I've done the mythical pickup swap if that makes it clearer!

https://i.imgur.com/YbzJThh.jpg ;

No, you're in the clear - looks good!

Seriously, with a Les Trem the main thing I worry about is finding a case to fit.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    edited June 2022
    I’m a big Bigsby fan and I love them. Install one properly and string it right and it will be as stable as any trem and sound nicer than most too. 

The Les Trem is still better in just about every way. No one engineers like Duesenberg, they’re simply as good as it gets. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    dazzajl said:
    I’m a big Bigsby fan 
    Easy for you to say.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    I’m a big Bigsby fan and I love them. Install one properly and string it right and it will be as stable as any trem and sound nicer than most too. 

The Les Trem is still better in just about every way. No one engineers like Duesenberg, they’re simply as good as it gets. 
    I would agree that the Dusey Diamond trem kicks the ass of most Bigsby’s with a tension bar, it’s better than a standard B5, B7 etc, but the Les trem is a more rudimentary affair, with only downwards travel.  It’s a simpler device. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    dazzajl said:

I would agree that the Dusey Diamond trem kicks the ass of most Bigsby’s with a tension bar, it’s better than a standard B5, B7 etc, but the Les trem is a more rudimentary affair, with only downwards travel.  It’s a simpler device. 
    Those that know me will know the les trem and I are well suited in that case
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    TheMarlin said:
    dazzajl said:

Les Trem does upwards travel…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    dazzajl said:

Les Trem does upwards travel…
    Yea, sorry,  Got my coordinates mixed up ;)
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    spev11 said:
    Nonce it is then
    Well, at least you'll be an in tune nonce.

I currently have one Les Trem II, and one of each of the following: Bigsby B3, B5, B7, Fender 2 point and 6 screw. None of those can beat the Les Trem for tuning stability, though it might also be helped by the brass nut on that guitar.

Have to admit I'm baffled as to why anyone would say a particular design of vibrato system would only appeal to sex offenders and child abusers.
    Look, I don't make the rules!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom