Album: Riding with the King

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    EricTheWeary said: For Clapton playing blues From the Cradle. 
    Hard to beat From The Cradle for great Clapton blues playing and singing. It’s a brilliant album that was apparently recorded completely live in the studio, no edits and only two overdubs. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1485
    Hard to beat From The Cradle for great Clapton blues playing and singing. It’s a brilliant album that was apparently recorded completely live in the studio, no edits and only two overdubs. 
    Hear hear
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    edited June 2022
    Yorkie said:
    Hear hear
    Indeed. From a blues perspective, From The Cradle is his best album by a mile. It's all quality, and it has a couple of genuinely breathtaking moments that even a die hard Clapton-detractor couldn't argue with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 333
    edited June 2022
    I love From The Cradle - first blues record I bought when it came out when I was 19. His take on the Wolf's Fourty-four is immense:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_24GeI7aRA

Worst thing is that he did this on the tour but didn't include it on the CD!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Riding with the King is one of my fave albums with some excellent tracks.  It’s not ground breaking but it’s two hugely important artists showing respect to one another.
    FFS it won a Grammy so can’t be that bad.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I am not a fan of BB King. I never listened to his music actually. I do like Clapton, his Live albums especially. The album alluded to in this thread is in a charity shop and not all that expensive. My wife and I are on holidays in the UK, luggage space is at a premium but I might take a chance anyway and buy it tomorrow. And hopefully it will fit in one of the suitcases!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Worth mentioning the ‘Nothing But the Blues’ DVD/Blu-ray is just out. Haven’t bought it yet but clips from YouTube suggest the live performances are a notch beyond From the Cradle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFN78ksSa8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Rocker said:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I am not a fan of BB King. I never listened to his music actually. I do like Clapton, his Live albums especially. The album alluded to in this thread is in a charity shop and not all that expensive. My wife and I are on holidays in the UK, luggage space is at a premium but I might take a chance anyway and buy it tomorrow. And hopefully it will fit in one of the suitcases!
    Where in the U.K.? Hope you are enjoying your travels. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    rlw said:
    Riding with the King is one of my fave albums with some excellent tracks.  It’s not ground breaking but it’s two hugely important artists showing respect to one another.
    FFS it won a Grammy so can’t be that bad.
    Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. Just saying.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    For BB King, "Live At Cook County Jail".
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7165
    +1 for @Loobs suggestion.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Rocker said:
    In sunny East Sussex
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    In sunny East Sussex
    Nice. Not a part of the UK where I regularly travel but lots to see. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    From the Cradle: The Fillmore West is worth buying if you can find a copy.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    edited June 2022
    jca74 said:
    I love From The Cradle - first blues record I bought when it came out when I was 19. His take on the Wolf's Fourty-four is immense:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_24GeI7aRA

Worst thing is that he did this on the tour but didn't include it on the CD!
    It’s included on the new live album from that era (‘95ish) Nothing but the Blues. For “Clapton does the blues live” it’s hard to look past that mid 90s tour supporting From the Cradle.