jazz me up

What's Hot
Never been interested but I like to give all things a go, same with classical and I find now that I like to play some for appreciation rather than choice so its time to try jazz.

So I have ordered Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, anything else worth trying for appreciation purposes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Wow  - 100yrs of a music form - a big ask.

I'd give that a good listen see if it inspires or bores you.

Then ...

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Stan Getz/Joao Gelberto - Getz/Gilberto
    Bill Evans/Jim Hall - Intermodulation, and Undercurrent
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Charlie Parker - any compilation

Also - get some vintage compilations from Louis Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Count Basie and most importantly Duke Ellington
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • It is a wide genre so it depends if you're looking for something moody or something a bit more upbeat.

Check out these two albums if you fancy something upbeat.

Charlie Parker + Dizzie Gillespie - Bird and Diz

• What is difficult (as you will already know) is that Jazz as a term can be as loosely applied as Rock, so undoubtedly if you search you will find some you like and some you detest.

Although a clichéd choice, Kind Of Blue is for me one of my top five jazz albums of all time.  Then I am a tremendous Miles Davis fan, but it's worth remembering Mile's stand went through 4-5 major shifts.  I find myself with some I love, some I like and some I just appreciate.

You need to find a foothold of an album you like and explore from there finding what you do and don't like about the genre. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • good point on the scope of the word jazz.. was trying to avoid buying VA compilation cds but it might be worth it to help in finding out..

but then as mentioned its about appreciation that may lead to enjoyment, just as long as its a great piece of work then I am okay with that, sounds weird but it makes sense to me..

I guess if there is a nice jazz airing on the side of blues, that would suit, would choose moody over upbeat.
    Then Kenny Burrell will be right up your street, also explore Grant Green.

Blues -> Jazz  - Louis Armstrong (Hot Five & Hot Seven eras) really is THE guy.

Feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    You absolutely must have some Wes Montgomery in there - for many the greatest jazz guitarist, so please try the "Smokin' at the Half Note" album, with the Wynton Kelly Trio. I think it was Pat Metheny no less who rated this as the greatest jazz guitar album of all time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    But get "The Incredible Jazz Guitar ...." first ;)

Feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Jalapeno said:
    But get "The Incredible Jazz Guitar ...." first ;)
    Lol - get them both! :) then get more...
  • I have a little section of my cd collection that could be described as jazz but very little of it regularly gets an airing ( including Kind Of Blue, I'm afraid). The main exception is Midnight Blue which could easily be in any top 10 blues albums of all time or any top 10 most important guitar albums of all time as well as any jazz list (fans include SRV and Otis Rush and Robben Ford and BB King - who even employed Burrell for a while). Don't expect to be blown away by it, it is pretty laid back but the tone and the phrasing are just super human.

I certainly 'got' jazz a lot more when I used to go to lots and lots of gigs of all sorts including jazz ones so I would recommend seeing what's on at your local arts center and going to see half a dozen modern jazz artists.

Coming from a guitar perspective its also worth checking out gypsy jazz - Django or one of the many modern interpreters. It tends to be a bit more immediate ( by which I think I mean easier to follow) and a bit bluesier than some modern jazz. There are various concerts and festivals around once you start looking.By no means strictly a jazz player John Jorgenson has done some modern takes on gypsy jazz, watching him interpret the Shadows FBI in this style is a very happy memory for me. 

And, finally, you could also consider a bit of western swing - in a loose sense like gypsy jazz but with singing.A useful 'gateway' music if you find you don't know where the tune is when you listen to jazz.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • A bit like you, I am dipping my toes into jazzier waters, after rediscovering the guitar I want to expand my appreciation and technique beyond where I was before.  So here goes.

The current program is on Herb Ellis.  The previous two were on Charlie Byrd and Pat Metheny

Jools Holland is usually a good source of programs as is Jamie Cullum.

Programs give "discoverability" for new stuff, so worth putting on in the background, absorbing gently and making a note of what you like now.   You never know where it will lead or what you may like in a few years time, so worth a few hours in the background if you're not sure.

Also check YouTube for things like the North Sea Jazz Festival, it's not all strictly Jazz though, great to discover some new stuff.
    Plenty of other festivals too.

I am an unashamed Jan Akkerman fan, so this is his North Sea Jazz Festival gig from 2011    (has a few moments both good & bad ! )

- - - -  

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The trumpeters blue trousers are something to behold .... I prefer this funkier track:

Philip Catherine is worth checking out .. great composer and jazz guitarist .. this is one of his songs

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:          .... I prefer this funkier track:
    Sublime.

That's a WOW from me, for that stunning guitar, for you personally for finding and posting this,

and above all to Jan Akkerman for a fantastic performance, just loved it.

What is that guitar? (I notice that higher fret access is not as good as a Les Paul), but that does look and sound stunning.
    It looks like it plays effortlessly too, so a great instrument all round.

Fretwired said:    Philip Catherine is worth checking out ...
    Another new find, thanks @Fretwired.

I am sure there will be many more new finds through this discussion, thanks to everyone for sharing, and strumjoughlamps for starting it.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Elegant Gypsy by Al di Meola if you want to taste the delights of jazz fusion.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Fretwired said:          .... I prefer this funkier track:
    Sublime.

That's a WOW from me, for that stunning guitar, for you personally for finding and posting this,

and above all to Jan Akkerman for a fantastic performance, just loved it.

What is that guitar? (I notice that higher fret access is not as good as a Les Paul), but that does look and sound stunning.
    It looks like it plays effortlessly too, so a great instrument all round.

Fretwired said:    Philip Catherine is worth checking out ...
    Another new find, thanks @Fretwired.

I am sure there will be many more new finds through this discussion, thanks to everyone for sharing, and strumjoughlamps for starting it.
    Philip Catherine actually replaced Jan in Focus - small world. He didn't enjoy very much as he was a jazz guitarist. I saw him at a small jazz club in London and we had a few beers together. Really nice guy ..

Jan's guitar is a custom guitar based on his old Framus with a headstock of his own design. I've had a strum on it and it's a very nice guitar.

Check out Jesse van Ruller as well ...

• If he's not been mentioned already you could do a lot worse than Joe Pass. I think there is one of his Tuition vids on Yoo Chewb.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Trying not to duplicate what's been said so far...

If you've come to jazz from classical, you could start with Gershwin. He's a bit of a 'crossover'.

Don't forget Big Band and WWII-era Swing either... Glenn Miller, for short :).

Chris Barber is good for a varied take on 'trad' jazz.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Just thought I would bring this to the surface again to see what other sage advice is out there.  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
    You've gotta try Corduroy:

Like the Corduroy track ....

Time for some Ronny Jordan ...