jazz me up

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    Seeing as we're going youtubey, I urge you to watch this - it's pretty much in the middle of Al di Meola's styles, spanning his 70's and 80's heavy fusion and speed, and his 90's and 2000's world music, textural stuff, so if you like it there's about 30 more albums to enjoy for you!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    See Al live quite a few times .. an amazing player ..

Return to Forever ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • YouTubey, why not, what a fantastic way to explore @viz, good choice, Al - pretty special.

Great fun, that put a smile on my face @Deadman

Pure class    - haven't heard Ronny Jordan before, enjoyed that lots @Fretwired.
                           - and that was so tight it made my eyes water !

"so much to learn, only one short life time"

a bit classical a bit jazzy
     - - -

rather tasty bass chops here too.
     - - -

edited September 2013
    Awesome @Fretwired, that looks like return to return to forever! When was that? We saw him at Ronnie's last year, wonderful intimate close-up sort of gig and he was just brilliant
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Kind of Blue turned up today, after a couple of plays this afternoon I find myself liking the piano more than anything else so who is worth a listen? oh and I find the ting t t tings of the percussion and the dum d da dums of the bass not to my taste. Blue In Green is currently the track I am liking the most if that helps in your recommendations

Ta
    And Hiromi's Sonicboom ...

@viz Return to Forever Live at Montreux 2008 ... check out the live CD and DVD ...

@ChrisMusic check on Jan doing gypsy with the Rosenberg Trio [a group well worth checking out] ..

Thanks I'll check it. Didn't know they'd done stuff recently. I interviewed Jan Akkerman for guitarist tv a few years ago. He was mental. We actually couldn't understand what he was talking about so we couldn't air the interview!
  • Hey @viz, I don't suppose you kept a copy of that interview with Jan by any chance?

We do have it but it's painfully embarrassing - I look like a confused dork. I can't stand watching it. Every time Jan says something I just don't understand what he means. So yes I have it. Can you see it? Haven't decided yet! :)
  • Hey @viz, that would be really special, even if its not through theFB, I would still love to see it.
    Maybe @Fretwired would be good enough to help us understand whats going on.
    I know he said that Jan has a wicked sense of humour, so maybe he was just winding you all up  ;)

There are some bits when he's definitely ripping the piss out of me, no question. :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    @ICBM said:
    ... Don't forget Big Band and WWII-era Swing either... Glenn Miller, for short :).
    I had never really warmed to swing, maybe I was born too close to it, it just seemed "has-been" and an older generations music, until:

After a marquee event at the amazing Sir Harold Hillier Gardens near Southampton, I walked about a hundred yards into the top of an arena type space, and they were finishing setup for a Swing evening, period correct uniforms, period vehicles,  we stayed on for the event, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable impromptu evenings I have ever spent.

Beautiful sunset, great music, fantastic atmosphere, and with all the period correct stuff it felt like being transported to a different place and time, one of those magical experiences.

"never under estimate the power of music to move your soul"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Kind of Blue turned up today, after a couple of plays this afternoon I find myself liking the piano more than anything else so who is worth a listen?
    Thelonius Monk
    Errol Garner
    Oscar Peterson

And to back up Jalapeno, Count Basie and Duke Ellington.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea
    viz said:
    There are some bits when he's definitely ripping the piss out of me, no question. :)
    @viz Jan's not a fan of music journalism or the music industry [an ex manager ripped him off badly] and he does have a wicked sense of humour. I think you have to get on his wave length and if interviewing him avoid talking about Focus. You're not the first to suffer - I got him an interview with Total Guitar round about 2000/2001 - they published it, with a little help, and reviewed his album Focus in time. I wouldn't mind seeing it as well ... go on viz ... :-)

@ChrisMusic check this out .. the DVD's ace. Had the band in the back of my wife's car up while on a UK tour. I was navigating and we ended up driving round and round Port Sunlight [as I got lost] much to the amusement of Jan ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now this is seriously cool .....

Fretwired said:
    viz said:
    @viz Jan's not a fan of music journalism or the music industry [an ex manager ripped him off badly] and he does have a wicked sense of humour. I think you have to get on his wave length and if interviewing him avoid talking about Focus. You're not the first to suffer - I got him an interview with Total Guitar round about 2000/2001 - they published it, with a little help, and reviewed his album Focus in time. I wouldn't mind seeing it as well ... go on viz ... :-)

I can't find it! Honest. Will keep looking. Yep he's definitely got a wicked sense of humour. After the interview we went round the back of the venue so he could have a smoke and he became intelligeable again! :)