Convert to UK voltage or not?

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
I picked up a Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb at a good price last week because (a) it keeps blowing fuses, and (b) it's a US voltage model. Obviously if the reason for (a) is that the power transformer is shot then it would make sense to replace it with a UK spec one. But if not, is it worth spending the extra, or would you just run it from a step-down transformer? If you were buying such an amp, would you be more put off by its being US voltage, or having a non-original power transformer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1624
    Ah, I see it is a '12W' amp that is likely used for small venue gigging or studio use? As such, having to lug a traff around with it would I think put punters off?
    Gerittdone.

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Stuckfast said:
    I picked up a Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb at a good price last week because (a) it keeps blowing fuses, and (b) it's a US voltage model. Obviously if the reason for (a) is that the power transformer is shot then it would make sense to replace it with a UK spec one. But if not, is it worth spending the extra, or would you just run it from a step-down transformer? If you were buying such an amp, would you be more put off by its being US voltage, or having a non-original power transformer?
    US voltage would put me off more, assuming the replacement transformer is the correct one and has been fitted properly. It's not a vintage amp, parts originality has no real impact on value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Turns out the power transformer is indeed dead, so it's moot...
    Stuckfast said:

Probably because some t**t kept feeding it fuses before you got it!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Stuckfast said:
    In that case I would get the correct ‘export’ version PT, and connect it for 240V (not 230).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PALPAL Frets: 533
    I agree with ICBM.
    Just a thought. I only ever had one Blackstar PT fail and that was an early Artisan 30 where the GZ34 was arcing over and the guy kept feeding it fuses till the primary O'C'ed.

Maybe just fit a new rectifier along with the transformer?

Dave.