Plectrum "Grip"

What's Hot
Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 289
edited July 2022 in Making & Modding
Evening everybody,

Does anybody use any type of grip on their plectrums? I solely use Gravity Razor mini plectrums in 1.5mm https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/picks-plectrums-c50/gravity-m333

But during a long session, I start losing grip of it, as it's basically perspex.

I was thinking of sticking some grip tape on the top of it, or are there any better ways?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Drill small holes through it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9128
    Drill or punch holes in them?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Hole punch for me too. The Fender Waves look like they've been stamped with a hot tool melting and raising the plastic a little. That might be a tad fumy though depending on tha type of plastic.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9016
    I used to heat up a fine panel pin nail over my gas soldering iron that had a "blowtorch" tip and lay it across the part of the pick you hold to melt 3 or 4 diagonal lines, then do another 3 or 4 lines in the other direction to make a cross-hatch/knurled pattern with slightly raised edges on the grooves.  It does stink and I'm sure the fumes from most plastics will be highly toxic, and additionally I was using larger picks.  Now I just drill holes in the smaller picks and punch holes in the larger ones using the fine tip of a cheap rotary leather punch.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    Jazz IIIs have grip on them. I always remember reading Dimebag used to score a big X into both sides. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3592
    WezV said:
    Drill small holes through it
    This also helps with wind resistance if you're clocking 16th notes at 180bpm ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 131
    I use Dunlop MaxGrips and / or Jazz III xl's depending on what I'm playing for this very reason.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 289
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to try the drilling small holes approach firstly and maybe slowly move onto the other suggestions :) :)
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 127
    Lightly scoring them usually works for me