Switches for Jaguar

What's Hot
What size and type of switches do i need for a jaguar kit? I do not believe in paying silly money for special guitar brand or vintage switches, so i am looking for general electronic type switches.

I think they are dpdt?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15264
    edited July 2022
    Indeed, they are DPDT. 

IMHO, it is still worth paying for Switchcraft. They are combat tested in military field radios. They withstand all manner of ham-fisted abuse that budget Asian equivalents do not.

Your money. Your decision.

CAPTAIN'S LOG SUPPLEMENTAL
    If you are building a Jaguar type guitar from parts, consider one of those "Kurt Cobain" lower control plates. These have a round hole for a three-way sprung leaf toggle selector switch and a slot for the DPDT Bass Cut "Strangle" switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Switchcraft ones, they're a fiver each from AllParts. Cheaper ones tend to fall apart. 
    https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/slide-switch-on-on
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    edited July 2022
    Ok, switchcraft then you reckon. I will raid the piggy bank.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    edited July 2022
    alexh said:
    What size and type of switches do i need for a jaguar kit? I do not believe in paying silly money for special guitar brand or vintage switches, so i am looking for general electronic type switches.

I think they are dpdt?
    A standard Jaguar circuit can use SPSTs for the pickup and bass-cut switches if you prefer - vintage ones do - but DPDTs allow more flexibility, especially the very useful ‘both switches down for series’ (instead of off!) mod. You do need a DPDT for the rhythm circuit anyway.

To fit a stock Jag plate properly you need US-made ones, the far-east type have a smaller toggle which looks odd (if you’re going for a proper Jag look).

As SteveRobinson said, I wouldn’t penny-pinch too much - Switchcrafts are the best by some margin and not actually that expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom