Dream Theater - The Astonishing

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 11041
Yer thoughts?
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1051
    Blank.

Entirely blank.

Forgettable tunes, with excellent playing.

Go for the excellent "Scenes From A Memory" to discover why they're well thought of, and spend your time more wisely than on Astonishing - 'cos it isn't!
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    There are some good bits (like the X aspect). I think the whole thing is an amazing feat but I don’t plough through it very often. It’s a bit like my Weast’s Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. A necessary addition to our library but I never read it. Very occasionally dip into it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    DT were my fave band for a decade. The last album I got into was Octavarium. I got the next few albums but could find anything to interest me in them. I still picked up the later albums (just the last 3 that I haven't got), but I have to admit that I have resisted the Astonishing thus far. I didn't think I could face a double album of sci fi concept (and 34 short songs. If they had written an album with a 20 minute song, a few ten minutes etc , I could have been interested.

So yeah, not actually heard it yet ...
    axisus said:
    DT were my fave band for a decade. The last album I got into was Octavarium. I got the next few albums but could find anything to interest me in them. I still picked up the later albums (just the last 3 that I haven't got), but I have to admit that I have resisted the Astonishing thus far. I didn't think I could face a double album of sci fi concept (and 34 short songs. If they had written an album with a 20 minute song, a few ten minutes etc , I could have been interested.

Yeah - I don't think you should give it a go yet, not until you've had a proper go at systematic chaos and black clouds - coz they're a hell of a lot more interesting! 
    viz said:
    axisus said:

Yeah - I don't think you should give it a go yet, not until you've had a proper go at systematic chaos and black clouds - coz they're a hell of a lot more interesting! 
    I really liked the Black clouds covers disk!
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    axisus said:

I don't think I have that - what's on it?
    is it like CD2? 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    axisus said:

Same. Also the decline in James Labrie's voice. I'm sick of hearing him sing indistinguishably with his tongue stuck out.
    I think he's had surgery maybe, because he doesn't have to stick it out now and he has much more grunt to his high notes.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    I'll have a listen to one of the 50 new live shows I'm sure they've released since I last listened to them  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    axisus said:

is it like CD2? 

The 3-disc Special Edition included a bonus disc of six cover songs, entitled "Uncovered 2008/2009". 

ahhhhhhhhhh nice - I'll get the CD. Cheers!
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1051
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    axisus said:

is it like CD2? 

The 3-disc Special Edition included a bonus disc of six cover songs, entitled "Uncovered 2008/2009". 

I though the add on was much better than the album...

Shame about the drum intro to Stargazer though, thought he'd at least match Cozy.