Remote control of Marshall Origin 20

I have a Marshall Origin 20 that is controlled by 2 latching foot switches.
One for boost the other the FX loop.
I believe the tip is for the FX loop and the ring for boost.
Now I want to use the amp switch on my hotone Kommander to switch the boost and have the FX loop permanently on.
Can I mod a TRS cable to help with this solution,i.e. solder the tip wire on one side to ground to keep the FX loop permanently on and move the ring wire to the tip?
@ICMB

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    Just use a standard cable and fit a TRS plug. Connect the hot wire to the ring not the tip - if that leaves the loop off, connect the tip to ground.

Seems like a stupid footswitch design, but that’s not uncommon! A sensible one would have the loop engaged and the boost switchable if you use a mono cable...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    But if I connect the tip to the ground how will the Hotone do the switching as it expects a standard cable i.e. Tip and sleeve.
    Have done some experimentation.
    Looks like it's the Tip that controls the Boost and the ring that controls the FX loop.
    If I try a mono cable the Boost switches on and off but FX loop is off.
    If I try a TRS, if Boost if off the FX loop works find if Boost is on FX loop switches off.
    Am I right that I should just ground  the Ring?
    Sorted. Have to use a TRS, but disconnected the Ring on one end.
    Still yes could use a standard cable with a TRS jack on one end.
    Fortunately my pedal board will have a mini Patchbay built in. So I will definitely the custom wiring at the pedal board end and just have a standard TRS going from board to AMP.
    So much easier to setup without having to think custom cable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    Yes, that's correct - either a TRS cable with the ring disconnected, or simply a standard cable with a TRS plug at the amp end with the ring unconnected will work.

At least the switching is designed a bit more sensibly, although it should still default to loop on when a TS plug is used really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein