Axlabs Tone Claw opinions

What's Hot
Has anyone fitted one of these to their Strat?
It looks a nice chunk of metal to replace the usual claw with

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1432
    I'm no expert but would it make any difference given that energy would be lost through the springs anyway?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    It has the advantage of stopping the springs shifting or at worst falling off the hooks when doing extreme pull-ups on a back-routed Floyd, for which it's a good idea...

But the claims for tonal/sustain improvement are bollocks, I'm sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think the OP is right - it looks like a nice chunk of metal - that’s enough for me! 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    I think the OP is right - it looks like a nice chunk of metal - that’s enough for me! 
    My thinking in a nutshell - it’s a nice block of shiny machined metal! That’s me sold on it already!
    It May be snake oil or May be the knee of the bee but it will look cool and mean I can be one of those guys who leave off the spring cavity cover
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Reminds me of one end of a Tremol-No device.

Some of the minor inconveniences of a fulcrum vibrato system might be eliminated but the claimed tonal enhancement needs to be demonstrated to be believed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1854
    the claimed tonal enhancement needs to be demonstrated to be believed.

I won't believe any of it untill there are reports of guitarists going to rehearsals  and plugging in with their newly upgraded trem system to find the drummer asking them if they've changed something on their guitar because it sounds different
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15269
    Hull will freeze over before any drummer talks to a guitarist about tone.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    flying_pie said:

I won't believe any of it untill there are reports of guitarists going to rehearsals  and plugging in with their newly upgraded trem system to find the drummer asking them if they've changed something on their guitar because it sounds different
    Hull will freeze over before any drummer talks to a guitarist about tone.
    It's a real thing :). It happened to me once, after I put NOS valves in my amp... contrary to the popular wisdom that things like that make no difference once the bass and drums kick in, which couldn't be more wrong.

To be fair, the amp was also noticeably louder at the same settings too, which might have made it more obvious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    I guess if you’ve gone all in and dropped £300 on one of those Sophia tremolos or maybe a Vegatrem you may as well keep going and finish it with one of these and some of those posh silent springs with the heatshtink covers & stuff ?
  • JimJim Frets: 20
    edited August 2022
    In a similar vein, Schaller off a more elegant solution to the old "wood screws into the body" arrangement, with the added bonus of being adjustable with a hex key

SureClaw | Tremolos | Schaller Webshop
  • Jim said:
    In a similar vein, Schaller off a more elegant solution to the old "wood screws into the body" arrangement, with the added bonus of being adjustable with a hex key

SureClaw | Tremolos | Schaller Webshop
    That looks even better! Thank god I didn’t order the FR one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom