SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Splawn Competition £500

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
edited November 2014 in Amps £
Having just sold a guitar it's made me realise that I'd like to get a bit of gas fund together.

So I'm selling my Splawn Competition, actually bought from @Moltisanti earlier this year, and it really isn't getting the use it deserves either.  My MK50 is more suited to my current band and the Competition really needs gigging to make the most of it.  It's a 2007 model with KT77's in it.
This amp is a real gain monster and will probably cover any styles you can throw at it, other than clean...

You'll see in the picture that the corners aren't quite up to scratch.  I wasn't too keen on the colour when I got it and wanted to try tolexing.  Turns out it's tricky and so the tolex is currently very rough around the edges.  More photos here:
So i thought I would put the amp up here before either having another go at the tolex or sending it to a pro.  If anyone did want to take up the challenge, I have some spare ox blood tolex I will throw in with the sale.

Original footswitch also supplied.
Given the tolex faff required I'm looking for £500, collection from Redhill, Surrey ideally although happy to discuss meeting somewhere to cut down journey time.  Not really looking for trades.
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Why oh why did you not tell me you had this when I picked that guitar up........
  • Haha, sorry.  At least you know how to find me now so it'll be easy to collect!

:)
  • Ah my old Competition reappears. I was the one who suggested to Scott Splawn to copy the Mesa Boogie lonestar look on that amp. Sorry to hear it wasn't to your taste.
  • Oh right!  Thanks for posting.  I had wondered where the original design inspiration had come from.  

I think in part I was looking for any excuse to give tolexing a try and mostly regretted it when I realised how much of a faff it was...

• Price drop for the weekend!
  • Bump
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    Somebody please buy this so I can stop having dirty thoughts about it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Willing to listen to offers from anyone who can collect it this weekend and top up my GAS fund!
  • Price drop.

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    edited October 2014
    Bump and (final) price drop this time as really want the funds towards another guitar.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    What's the deal on these? From the looks of it they are single channel hot rodded Marshalls? I'm looking for something to complement my Shiva. Does it have a half power switch like it says on the Splawn site?
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    edited October 2014
    I'm the original owner yes it does but you may need to double check with Scott about halving/doubling ohm switching on this model. Does hot rodded Marshall with a slight twist. I never tried EL34 valves in it. You would have to be happy with using a volume control on guitar the old fashioned way or multi amp setup for a clean sound. It sounds best mostly cranked.
    Yeah, as @ab2014 said. Amazing hot rod marshall tone but no real clean sound. I researched the half power switch and came to the conclusion that the ohms don't change with the half power switch on. The best way I have found to control the volume is with a volume pedal/box in the fx loop instead as the half power doesn't reduce volume much.
    Bump.
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Have a bump for an amp I'd love to own but alas funds aren't there yet.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 627
    Thats nice..does it have reverb ?
    Thanks, no reverb.  Just bucket loads of gain!
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1279
    I'd totally have this if I thought I could get a good clean from it. Have you tried the 'ol fashioned way with the volume rolled back?

I might give Paul at Zilla w call about re-Tolexing it and see what price he gives....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Probably depends on what sort of clean sound you are looking for. Won't get very clean but you would be able to get something useable.

Let me know what Paul says if you speak to him as it's something I've been considering too!
    Bump.