Weirdest Technique?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1843
    CaseOfAce said:
    Marty Friedman's picking technique - looks strange - but works for him.
    Am I the only one who pictures Marty Feldman and his bulging eyes playing a guitar here?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • froglordfroglord Frets: 50
    edited July 2022
    Richie Havens - barre chords with his thumb over the top of the neck:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    No such thing as weird because people do what feels natural for themselves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 117
    Wilko Johnson. Both the strumming/picking technique, and the dubious lead-with-your-head dance moves.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I saw the video of Ozzy Osbourne's song Shot In The Dark with Zakk Wylde on guitar.

Jake E Lee played guitar on the original, and I was wondering how he got the harmonics at the beginning.

This guy explains it really well for getting harmonics from behind the nut:-  

• BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 99
    edited December 2022

Knopfler's right hand
    Zappa's right hand

Jeff Healey 

great video! have you got any good link for knopfler and Zappa?

Quite a clean video of Zappa’s style (mostly upstrokes and something that I’ve discovered is called “scalpel picking”). An early example of tapping as well, although Zappa usually used his pick for this, rather than his fingers.

Music starts at 3:28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPdg4yPwAg
  • Stuckfast said:
    I wonder if Jeff Healey started out playing Appalachian dulcimer? The techniques are surprisingly similar, though obviously without the blistering solos on dulcimer.
    I have a vague memory that he started on trumpet (like Walter Trout and Flea). 

Anyway, that South African chap who played with a spoon in his mouth. That one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Perhaps not a weird 'technique', but given that the thread has inevitably featured some amazing musicians working around disabilities, the Dude out of Xander and the Peace Pirates was born without a right arm below the elbow and plays his guitar using a prosthesis and hook with a pick attached at the end.  Check him out:

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Good call from @rocktron about Carl Brown.
    He's my go to guy for detailed explanations and demonstrations of technique mastery and trickery.

Whilst 'guitarlessons365' doesn't cover every song/track, it has enough range to cater for most folks I'd suspect.

Carl Brown seems to be able to demonstrate and explain anything ... certainly for my level of competence.
  • rocktron said:
    I saw the video of Ozzy Osbourne's song Shot In The Dark with Zakk Wylde on guitar.

Jake E Lee played guitar on the original, and I was wondering how he got the harmonics at the beginning.

This guy explains it really well for getting harmonics from behind the nut:-  

This reminds me of another Jake technique.. same song... at the end of the solo there is a strange tremolo-picking tapping ascending run..  achieved by tremolo picking at the fret you would tap... the pick is held at an angle in such a way that it forces the string onto the fret like a finger tap would, except at tremolo picking speed..  I was yesterday old when I learnt that...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BillDL said:
    Mark Goffeney.  Sadly he died in 2021.

More videos of his HERE
    Wikipedia page.
    Didn’t know he died ,seen him on YouTube before ,so sad , amazing skills 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Hootsmon said:
    Steve Morse looks like he has the worst of techniques and should not work and then he plays..............
    Steve Morse has put his slightly unusual way of rigidly holding the pick down to being left handed. Definitely works though.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    George Benson's unusual way of holding his pick is definitely odd, but his ability to clean pick monster runs with very even definition means is certainly didn't hold him back.  I still try to use this technique with very limited results.
    Wes Montgomery got by with just his thumb, which he also used for upstrokes.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28139
    That Michael Angelo Battio thing where he plays on four guitars at the same time and puts his hands over and under the neck and it still just sounds like generic widdlywiddlywiddly. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."