Best way to deepen pickup routes?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
edited July 2022 in Making & Modding
I have a JM body on the way and want to fit WRHBs.

Google tells me the WRHB is 3.7" x 1.75" x 0.85" (LxWxH), while the JM pickups the body is built for are 3.63" x 1.62" x 0.6", so I figure I definitely need to add depth, and width/length may depend on the tolerance of the routing. 

What's the best way to do this, given there are fuck all techs around these parts. I have a dremel and a bunch of other tools but no plunge router or chisels. Always happy to buy tools but obviously don't want to spend hundreds just for this job. 

I'm thinking my options are:
- plunge router
- plunge router attachment for the dremel I already own but barely used*
- chisel (drilling a bunch of holes first?) 

Any wisdom from the group greatly appreciate as ever! 

*(my last dremel usage may have been freehand deepening of my Strat's control cavity. A CLEAN JOB WAS NOT ACHIEVED...)
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Depends on how  neat you want the job to be.

If you only have to deepen the cavity, then drilling/chiselling will do.  The chisel will do any widening/lengthening of the cavities too, and any wobbly bits around the edges will be hidden by the pickup surrounds (assuming you'll be using them).

A plunge attachment for your dremel would be handy for all sorts - but I tend to use mine for the smaller detail jobs rather then chunking out large bits of wood - the dremel bits are usually quite small!

Good-enough plunge routers  aren't expensive (even here in crisis-ridden, Brexited, UK , £50 would  buy one).    But don't forget to buy the bits too - and then you end up with a drawer full of handy-one-day bits that cost you way more than the router.
    ;)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Be honest with yourself on your skill level with a chisel.  Both sharpening and using one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    WezV said:
    Be honest with yourself on your skill level with a chisel.  Both sharpening and using one.

I am very aware of this as a potential limitation! 

I used them in high school with no issues, and made some chopsticks in a remote cabin in Japan a couple of years ago but I am far from what I would call "skilled"! :D 

@Ttony I'm not mega worried about it being perfect factory-fresh-looking job (more aiming Gibson quality levels, I guess!!). Whatever I do will be under a pickguard so that's no issue from a visual POV. My only real concern is that maybe I may switch the body later, in which case I'd sell this one. But again as long as it's not a complete dog's dinner then I can probably find one of you idiots some keen, lovely individual to buy it this body from me! 

I will of course get all the parts together and work out exactly what needs removing from where before I make any decisions. I might even hate the body when it arrives..! 

I think I'm currently erring towards a plunge router from my local Ace Hardware, plus some bits of wood to practice on first. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    If you're not used to using one then I wouldn't recommend a proper plunge router. They're scary where things can go wrong very quickly.  If you want to go the router route (!!), which probably would give the cleanest job, then I'd suggest a palm/trim router as they're much more controllable and easy to handle for someone inexperienced.
    The Katsu ones are dead cheap, although noisy as hell, https://www.amazon.co.uk/101748-Electric-Trimmer-Laminator-Joiners/dp/B00LVVJ99U/ but also budget for a decent router bit too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    edited July 2022
    To do the job properly, you need a plunge router with a short pattern follower bit (with a bearing on the shaft) and a template.

Router wise, I have various different sizes, but this one should do for this small job. I have one and have been impressed. It doesn't plunge but you can drill a hole out in the middle of the cavity and widen from there.
    Electric Wood Hand Trimmer Laminator 1/4" 3/8" 220V https://amzn.eu/4qbs8kz

I use one of these to get started, you might need a longer one too if the cavity is deep or your router doesn't plunge very far
    Trend C121BX1/4TC Profiler 12.7mm Dia x 9.5mm L https://amzn.eu/ayRKrFc

You can make your own template with a bit of MDF, a file and a jigsaw or coping saw, or buy one pretty cheaply.
    davros said:
    To do the job properly, you need a plunge router with a short pattern follower bit (with a bearing on the shaft) and a template.

You can make your own template with a bit of MDF, a file and a jigsaw or coping saw, or buy one pretty cheaply.

since this will just be routing some simple straight lines he doesn't really need a pattern bit and template.  Just a straight piece of wood to run the router base along

BigMonka said:
    If you're not used to using one then I wouldn't recommend a proper plunge router. They're scary where things can go wrong very quickly.  
    The risks are there with any method,  but most of the hack jobs you see hiding under pickguards have been done with improper chisel use, or an underpowered Dremel.... or sometimes a teaspoon ;)

WezV said:
    since this will just be routing some simple straight lines he doesn't really need a pattern bit and template.  Just a straight piece of wood to run the router base along

True, I read JM and pictured the routes with the little nobbles on the side!
    davros said:
    WezV said:

True, I read JM and pictured the routes with the little nobbles on the side!
    And i missed the bit about adding depth, so he does really need a short router bit with a bearing  on it 
    Ta all. Yeah, adding an extra maybe 4-5mm to the depth is the bulk of the job I think. Palm router + shallow bit & bearing might be a good option with a neatly drilled hole in the middle to start me off. I won't be touching the wobbly wiring cavities - that's for sure!!

I may not actually need to extend the sides of the cavity at all - we'll see when the body and pickups are both here. But either way i'm interested in the everyone's thought process in the meantime. 
    I actually have a kind offer from a guy locally who might be able to help but he's away till Sept :( 
    I'd help if I was in Abu Dhabi, but a bit of a way to travel  :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    The Dremel router thing is awful. The posh Stewmac version is better, but a palm router/laminate trimmer will be far better.

The best route (pun somewhat intended) is to get someone who's done it before to do it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    The Dremel router thing is awful. The posh Stewmac version is better, but a palm router/laminate trimmer will be far better.

The best route (pun somewhat intended) is to get someone who's done it before to do it. 
    Good to know. I had seen similar reports of the dremel one being "wobbly" which seems an extremely bad trait for a router to have. 

My Plan A is absolutely to find someone local to do it. But so far no luck
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    I did deepen the pickup routs in one guitar with the Dremel, but it was fraught and a bit messy. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Yeah, the inside of my Strat is A MESS to say the least. I have no issue buying a palm router if that seems the best option, but will see if I can get anyone locally with the right kit to help first. 

Which reminds me, the body in question has arrived but I haven't actually opened the box yet!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Sound around for a local carpenter, ask him to rout it deeper for you, bung him/her/it 20 quid and carry on
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1167
    I bought a handheld router, a cheap Chinese Bosch copy, and i've never looked back. Great for nice pickup routs, but since learning how to use it i now find i use it often for diy stuff at home too. Great investment. I had never used one before, but i was patient and everything's gone well.
    edited July 2022
    Righto body and pickups are now here and it's really friggin' marginal.

There is plenty of clearance I don't think I need to remove any material around the edges at all, save for maybe just a smidge on the top right corner of the neck pickup which can easily be done with a file. 

Depth wise it's almost enough to say no need as well - I've estimate a pickup height of about 4mm all round based on my other JM's geometry - which has me wondering if I can just remove a couple of mm just from under the legs with some chunky sandpaper or even my old Dremel with just a grinding attachment. Worst case it might be a tiny bit messy but if I really need I still grab a router and tidy it up later anyway

Thoughts from the group?!

As per my main thread

Having convinced myself I only need to accommodate the pickup legs and screws, today I bought a chisel... D 

I'm actually quite happy with it. It's far from perfect, but by the last of 4 sections I had a reasonable bit of control. Everything could do with a little tidying up and I haven't decided whether I'll show you lot yet, but for a "vibey-relic" that won't even be visible it's ok, and certainly preferable to spending on big tools I don't have space for, or need to use again
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    edited July 2022
    (Edit) Doh... ignore that, you're going to hang them from the pickguard instead of body-mounting them like a JM. :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein