Rattle can recommendations

What's Hot
So, thinking ahead to the paint stage of my current project, I'll be wanting to get a really tough black gloss finish, so not nitro.
What are my best options? 
Colour base coat and a clear on top?
All in one 2k can?

I've seen 2k acrylic clear with base coat at automotive stores, is this a viable option?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    I used halfords own brand poly ina spray can for a refinish, over an Amazon spray paint. Worked fine 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited July 2022
    Yes its a viable option, however the disadvantage of 2k is once it is activated you have to use it, quickly, or it will set in the can….normal automotive rattle cans are perfectly good and hard wearing (its for cars after all) but not all cans are created equal, avoid the likes of Halfords like the plague, with a couple of exceptions its utter shite.
    Look online of for the place local to you which supplies paint to car repair garages, they will mix your colour of choice into a rattle can, if you wish to lacquer, they will supply compatible lacquer too. I never lacquer, I suppose it depends how deep and shiny a gloss finish you require.

Of the paint is applied properly you should not have to wet sand….a good tip is to stand the rattle can in a container of warm water, dry it before spraying though as a water drip will spoil your day

I can usually paint a Strat with one can of colour

I doubt anything will be as tough and hardwearing as factory Poly, but automotive paint is a good option.

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SargeSarge Frets: 2440
    munckee said:
    I used halfords own brand poly ina spray can for a refinish, over an Amazon spray paint. Worked fine 
    Halfords clear? 
    and how hard is that? 
    Halford lacquer is one of the exceptions, its pretty good, but not as good as the stuff from the auto supply shop, I finished a natural Tele body in the Halfords lacquer and it does mark over time
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Yes its a viable option, however the disadvantage of 2k is once it is activated you have to use it, quickly, or it will set in the can….normal automotive rattle cans are perfectly good and hard wearing (its for cars after all) but not all cans are created equal, avoid the likes of Halfords like the plague, with a couple of exceptions its utter shite.
    Look online of for the place local to you which supplies paint to car repair garages, they will mix your colour of choice into a rattle can, if you wish to lacquer, they will supply compatible lacquer too. I never lacquer, I suppose it depends how deep and shiny a gloss finish you require.

Of the paint is applied properly you should not have to wet sand….a good tip is to stand the rattle can in a container of warm water, dry it before spraying though as a water drip will spoil your day

I can usually paint a Strat with one can of colour

I doubt anything will be as tough and hardwearing as factory Poly, but automotive paint is a good option.

Thanks for that.

does 2k acrylic have the same active life as 2k urathane?

Sarge said:
    does 2k acrylic have the same active life as 2k urathane?

No idea, but gut feeling, yes

1k, cellulose, nitro rely on the thinners evaporating for the paint to dry, where 2k has a hardener which speeds up the drying time, however it will also go hard in the spray gun/rattle can if not used pretty quickly…

The only 2k paint I have used is Raptor bed liner which once active has a 1 hour pot life, ie use in 1 hour

Its also carcinogenic, so needs proper PPE

If it were me I would use good quality 1k 

@paulnb57 thank you so much! 
  • ghadghad Frets: 53
    I followed Brad Angove's tutorials on YouTube and went for a Halford's rattle can colour coat (Night Blue Metallic) with 2k clear lacquer over the top. I'm very happy with the results. The 2k clear is absolutely rock solid - seriously tough - and showing very little signs of aging one year on. Feel free to reach out with any q's. Footage immediately following 2k coat (pre-polish) below. 

https://imgur.com/tXs8Jt5
    Sarge said:
    @paulnb57 thank you so much! 
    No worries and questions just ask….

Black is very unforgiving it will show any imperfection…..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ghad said:
    I followed Brad Angove's tutorials on YouTube and went for a Halford's rattle can colour coat (Night Blue Metallic) with 2k clear lacquer over the top. I'm very happy with the results. The 2k clear is absolutely rock solid - seriously tough - and showing very little signs of aging one year on. Feel free to reach out with any q's. Footage immediately following 2k coat (pre-polish) below. 

https://imgur.com/tXs8Jt5
    That looks lovely... for a tele  :)

what 2k clear did you use and how long between coats?