SITE UPDATE: Subscriptions are now available, for image uploads and no ads. Check the sticky thread in Recent Discussions for more info.

How many of you have gone from individual fx to multifx and been happy?

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 248
Like a magpie I've bought a lot of pedals over the years and sold very few so now I have a lot of pedals in the house and would rather downsize. I'm a home noodler.

To give you an example I've got all 3 big box Strymons (Big Sky, Timeline and Mobius) and recently got a Quad Cortex.

The strymons have a lot more options, but the quad cortex is so convenient and easy to use I've already used it a lot more than I used to use the strymons. I've used the cortex standalone and also with 4 cable model with my real amps.

The only downside of the cortex is that it doesn't have every type of delay/verb/mod possible, but in every other way it's probably better. I haven't tested sound quality back to back though.

I think the obvious answer is to sell the strymons, but is there anything I'm going to regret?

(I've also got an HXFX and a Plethora X5, plus a few analog variants, in case you are worried I don't have enough options)

Who's downsized and lived with no regrets? or the opposite?


0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
«13

Comments

  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 15595
    tFB Trader
    I find having a multi FX works and having a few simple pedals works but having a bunch of complex single function pedals is really tedious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 62417
    I have.

    Boss ME-50, for 'proper' band use where I'm likely to need to tweak stuff, and GT-1 for travelling light, open mics etc where I might to have to plug into the PA.

    I did test the sound quality back to back between the ME-50 and my analogue pedalboard, carefully with an A/B loop switcher. The ME-50 won - most of the sounds were basically indistinguishable, and for many the ME-50 actually sounded better. Really... even for some of the overdrive/distortion models. The only ones it really didn't were fuzz, octaver and analogue delay.

    So I sold off my pedalboard. I've kept a small number of pedals - a couple of favourite overdrive and distortions, a couple of fuzzes, and I've just acquired a DM-3W, but I'm unlikely to use them live unless they're literally the only effects I need. (I take just a fuzz for playing bass in my garage/punk band.)

    I doubt I'll ever have a pedalboard again. The multi-FX method is more flexible, more convenient, much smaller and lighter (for an equivalent number of effects), less hassle and also a lot cheaper.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 442
    ICBM said:
    I have.

    Boss ME-50, for 'proper' band use where I'm likely to need to tweak stuff, and GT-1 for travelling light, open mics etc where I might to have to plug into the PA.

    I did test the sound quality back to back between the ME-50 and my analogue pedalboard, carefully with an A/B loop switcher. The ME-50 won - most of the sounds were basically indistinguishable, and for many the ME-50 actually sounded better. Really... even for some of the overdrive/distortion models. The only ones it really didn't were fuzz, octaver and analogue delay.

    So I sold off my pedalboard. I've kept a small number of pedals - a couple of favourite overdrive and distortions, a couple of fuzzes, and I've just acquired a DM-3W, but I'm unlikely to use them live unless they're literally the only effects I need. (I take just a fuzz for playing bass in my garage/punk band.)

    I doubt I'll ever have a pedalboard again. The multi-FX method is more flexible, more convenient, much smaller and lighter (for an equivalent number of effects), less hassle and also a lot cheaper.

    How does the ME25, the smaller version cope? Just for home use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 6885
    allen said:

    Who's downsized and lived with no regrets? or the opposite?
    Me, more than 30 years ago. At the time individual pedals had better quality sounds than MultiFX, but my overriding need was too switch multiple effects on or off at the same instant, and without missing a beat in my playing. Nowadays I’m not convinced that individual pedals are better. Plus, my AxeFX switches my light show at the same time.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 62417
    Jetsam1 said:

    How does the ME25, the smaller version cope? Just for home use. 
    No idea, I've never tried one.

    At a quick look it's what I would hate in a multi-FX though - patch changes only, no ability to turn on and off individual effects. I never change patches on the fly, only turn effects on and off like on an analogue pedalboard - the ME-50 does that in 'manual' mode, and I've reprogrammed the footswitches on the GT-1 to do it as well.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 121
    allen said:
    Like a magpie I've bought a lot of pedals over the years and sold very few so now I have a lot of pedals in the house and would rather downsize. I'm a home noodler.

    To give you an example I've got all 3 big box Strymons (Big Sky, Timeline and Mobius) and recently got a Quad Cortex.

    The strymons have a lot more options, but the quad cortex is so convenient and easy to use I've already used it a lot more than I used to use the strymons. I've used the cortex standalone and also with 4 cable model with my real amps.

    The only downside of the cortex is that it doesn't have every type of delay/verb/mod possible, but in every other way it's probably better. I haven't tested sound quality back to back though.

    I think the obvious answer is to sell the strymons, but is there anything I'm going to regret?

    (I've also got an HXFX and a Plethora X5, plus a few analog variants, in case you are worried I don't have enough options)

    Who's downsized and lived with no regrets? or the opposite?


    I have 12 pedals and a gigrig switcher on a pt pro and I’m seriously thinking of going down to a pt-jr and 5-6. 

    I had the stryfecta for a while, sold them and haven’t missed them to be honest. 

    Really like the look of a quad cortex too looks like a great all in one solution, do you use an expression pedal with it or not bother?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 550
    I’m currently wondering the very same thing, after two really frustrating weekends playing at some festivals where I had to lug a ton of gear around. One of the sets I was told I couldn’t use my own amp after carrying it quite a long way to the stage.

    I do have an HX Stomp on my board, and I’m happy with the amp sounds I can get with it when not using my actual amp, but this runs short on DSP for some situations.

    I’m currently considering selling off some stuff I don’t use and either getting the QC or full-fat Helix for festival/further afield gigs where it would make more sense to travel light. 

    I feel like it’s a big step for me though, and the pedals I would be selling off are mostly rare/worth a fair bit and would likely be irreplaceable if I regretted the move
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 745
    I’ve been running a Helix LT (with an FRFR) for a couple of years, a HXFX before that, and a M13 before that. I’m just looking at going back to an amp so might look at a pedalboard again as I’m all ‘menu-d out’. I reckon I can get by with a couple of drives, some sort of mod pedal and a reverb/ delay if I get the amp I’m looking at
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 956
    edited August 6
    FWIW I sold all my Strymon stuff and a fair bit more besides when I picked up a Fractal FX8. Its time-based effects are at least Strymon quality. They're a ridiculous bargain used!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 16
    Switched from a complex board with a Timeline  & Mobius and loads more to using a Boss GT 1000 just for effects into a clean amp for convenience… unlikely to use the big board much anymore, GT is quick, easy and covers everything I need! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 2660
    edited August 4
    I've got an amp (well 2 actually) and 2 different pedalboards, and an Atomic Amplifire and FRFR.

    Cake and eat it. No need for either/ or.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 6633
    edited August 4
    I have gone from individual pedals to a HXFX. 
    It’s an incredibly capable joyless box.  I want my pedals back.  
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 2992
    I've owned all the main multi fx modelers since 2003 at various points but keep selling them and sticking with my amp and pedalboard. 

    In my heart I know that a multifx is cheaper,  lighter,  more convenient to transport,  easy to backup and replace etc but in my head I hate messing with menus and can't reconcile having 1000s sounds yet I only use 3.

    I'm still reading reviews of the quad cortex though just in case....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 62417

    In my heart I know that a multifx is cheaper,  lighter,  more convenient to transport,  easy to backup and replace etc but in my head I hate messing with menus and can't reconcile having 1000s sounds yet I only use 3.
    This is why I use the ME-50. It works just like an analogue pedalboard but without the hassle.

    I’m sure there are other multi-FX with this kind of ease of use too.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 20
    Line 6 m9, for example?

    Works for me. Pitch shift not so good, but anything modulation, reverb, wierd noises ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 52
    I've just sold off everything except my fuzz, Ti boost and distortion pedals and bought a Plethora x5 (cos Bax has a good deal on them) . I'd been planning on buying a Flashback, Hall of Fame 2 and some kind of octave, those three would have cost about the same as I paid for the plethora so as a cost option it made sense. So far (1 day in) its working fine, it works as a "pedalboard" much like ICBM has his ME50 working and I can set up boards should I choose too plus I get the other effects to play with as well. 
     So far, as someone who suffers with option paralysis it seems to work how I hoped it would.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1382
    I have.  Bought Helix as soon as it came out and it, together with Native which I use for noodling and recording, give me all I need.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4334
    edited August 5
    I feel like Mrs Doyle did when she got the tea making machine for Christmas…..Yes, the tea making machine does it all for you & is extremely practical etc etc…..but,,,,,
    https://i.imgur.com/CcHqYOR.jpg
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 16675
    Yup.  Actually started with a Boss ME-5, then an Art SGX2000,  then a Roland VG-8, then a load of pedals,  now a Helix.

    Every one of those sounded great; the VG-8 and (even more so) the Helix gave me the flexibility and control I want. The Helix interface is nicely flat and shallow too. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to this place"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2655
    I went to HX Stomp + MC6 into a conventional amp this year and I don't think I'll go back. I've got them on a PT Nano. I'd had the Stomp on my board for about 3 years and been using Helix Native a lot so I was pretty immersed in the system. It became much more flexible to use with the band when I figured out how to enter new HX banks with MC6 bank changes. I then replicate template HX banks and edit them for whatever each song needs. Great backup options also. Not as "on-the-fly" as pedals but super consistent for a covers band (which is what I needed).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
Sign In or Register to comment.