Martin OOO-15 SM

What's Hot
WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
edited August 2022 in Acoustics
I've been after a medium sized guitar recently.I've been looking at the Atkin OOO Essential (non available to try) then I stumbled across the Martin 000-15. The 12 fret slotted headstock version appeals because of the wider nut as I play exclusively finger style . I can't find a single store that has one in stock ,especially not locally and as such can't try one out.I've seen the YT reviews but they typically vary in content ,playing ability and recording expertise.Does anybody own one or have you had the chance to play one? I know Mahogany is usually a more subtle ,warm sound but what are they like for responsiveness, volume ,projection etc.Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome and thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited August 2022
    @Warblington ; - have you a GG or PMT within range?

I'm not saying they'll have one but they can order in from other branches. 

Ideally you need at least two to try, allowing you to compare

EDIT: your profile says both stores are on your doorstep so have both get a couple in mate.
    PM sent
  • Mellish said:
    @Warblington ; - have you a GG or PMT within range?

I'm not saying they'll have one but they can order in from other branches. 

Ideally you need at least two to try, allowing you to compare

EDIT: your profile says both stores are on your doorstep so have both get a couple in mate. 
    Hi,
    I’m pretty much round the corner from GG in Birmingham. I’m on their email  notification list once they’re in stock. I did call them but they were unable to say when any stock was expected. I went on a similar waiting list some weeks ago for the non slotted version.They require a 10% deposit to guarantee you secure one but I’d rather try them first.
    edited August 2022
    Martin will just ship. They don't tell the store (in this case GG) what models are on the way. The shipment arrives and it is what it is

This is according to GG staff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    Off topic, apologies, but too good a chance to miss... I'm visiting GG in Birmingham on Monday. Do you know if they have on-site parking?
    edited August 2022
    @ShadowYes mate, they do  
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    Cheers @Mellish ;
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    I wonder about trying. You may remember the Martin D16GT for sale a while ago. I bought it, had it fitted with a pick up and set up.

When I bought it, I did so "on trust" as the strings were shot and the instrument hadn't been played in years according to the seller. When it came back from the luthier, it didn't sound brilliant even with new strings and a set up. I've been playing it on and off for quite a while and all of a sudden a few days ago, it opened up. Planning to play it this Sunday in church as the man with the big jumbo isn't well and won't be there.

I've also noted someone say that Martins are very variable. I wonder if that's not much the same thing? They haven't been "run in".

Funny business this guitar trial thing?
    @TheMadMick ; - brother you can say that again!

I had exactly that with a Gibson Hummingbird standard. The tone was meh when I bought it. It sat in its case listening to my other guitar and banjo and (no kidding) within a month it had somehow developed a lovely, full tone. 

The fool in me sold it and there's not a day goes by that I don't regret it :/
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Just find one and buy it. For a finger guy the 000-15sm is bloody fantastic. All the mahogany Martin Guitars are worth every penny. I’ve had a few and they are constantly great

Maybe just buy a used one. Mahogany takes a while to break in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79 said:
    Just find one and buy it. For a finger guy the 000-15sm is bloody fantastic. All the mahogany Martin Guitars are worth every penny. I’ve had a few and they are constantly great

Maybe just buy a used one. Mahogany takes a while to break in. 
    Just what I wanted to hear! I’ve scoured the retailers and the usual used sites. Nothing out there atm but I’m watching.
    Be patient they will come. Also look out for the West side customs, they also have a wider neck
  • Andy79 said:
    Be patient they will come. Also look out for the West side customs, they also have a wider neck
    Great, I’ll take a look at them.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I had one of these (left-handed) from new and I wasn't particularly impressed and eventually sold it on. I think I'm in the minority. My local tech, Dino, loved it and never really forgave me for getting rid of it. BTW - I'm a gentle fingerstyle player who plays classical most of the time.

On the plus side, it is the nicest smelling guitar I've come across! 
  • GTC said:
    I had one of these (left-handed) from new and I wasn't particularly impressed and eventually sold it on. I think I'm in the minority. My local tech, Dino, loved it and never really forgave me for getting rid of it. BTW - I'm a gentle fingerstyle player who plays classical most of the time.

On the plus side, it is the nicest smelling guitar I've come across! 
    Thanks for your input. Like you , I’m predominantly a classical player and who plays fingerstyle on a steel string. I’ve placed a deposit with GG in the knowledge that I’m not obliged to keep it if I don’t like it. There are just so many alternatives out there  and it’s a tricky business finding the ideal guitar.
    @Warblington ; - that's why, as some have said, try every acoustic in your price range.

Ideally, ignore the brand. GG won't mind that cos you're not committed to anything at all. Your deposit would simply roll over onto your final choice. Or you could claim it back if you wanted to :) 
  • I went to GG a few weeks ago. Their acoustic section used to be massive it is now limited since they merged the acoustic and electric shops into one.It is mainly Taylor’s and high end Martins and Lowdens. There is also a limit to the number of short scale 1.75” nut guitars in the shop, especially in my budget.They didn’t have a single Atkin in stock.I will consider other options while I’m on the waiting list.I played a range of guitars at Express music in Coventry but nothing grabbed me apart from a Collings which was out of my budget.I’m trying out a Martin OOO-16 Streetmaster this week.Not overly keen on the finish but the specs look ideal and the reviews are positive.
    @WarblingtonWhen I was at GG (about three months ago) I tried an Atkin Essential D and D37 at the Birmingham store. Did nothing for me.

Tried a Lowden 20 something. Much better but something going on with the 6th string side of the nut that I didn't want to get into. In the end, I bought a Dove Original.

It might be worth a trip to PMT :) 
  • Mellish said:
    @WarblingtonWhen I was at GG (about three months ago) I tried an Atkin Essential D and D37 at the Birmingham store. Did nothing for me.

Tried a Lowden 20 something. Much better but something going on with the 6th string side of the nut that I didn't want to get into. In the end, I bought a Dove Original.

It might be worth a trip to PMT  
    I probably will if I’m not impressed with the OOO-16. 
  • Pm sent.