Tube screamer - which one or alternative?

What's Hot
JJ72JJ72 Frets: 51
I've never owned a TS type but now looking for one to boost my already slightly driven sound to a singing lead sound that cuts through a mix. 
I don't believe I'll be using it with the gain set very high at all ,just a mid hump push for slightly more sustain.
Will a normal common TS808/ts9 do me for this?
I want to like the ts mini as it sounds great by all accounts but not really a fan of mini pedals
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    I’ve got a TS808 and a JHS Bonsai, which more or less stays on the TS808 setting. Have previously owned a TS mini and Seymour Duncan 805.

For a classic, woody TS tone with a vintage overtone it’s hard to beat the 808 IMO. The Bonsai is slightly clearer in all settings and more versatile, albeit differences between modes can be subtle. The MSL mode maintains more bass than regular TS’s and the Keeley mode is higher output.

Ive never had a current run TS9 so can’t comment on differences from the 808. The mini I found a bit spikier than the 808 and the mini knobs are a pain. The Seymour 805 is excellent, like a Hi-fi, clearer 808 so a bit more modern.
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 51
    I’ve got a TS808 and a JHS Bonsai, which more or less stays on the TS808 setting. Have previously owned a TS mini and Seymour Duncan 805.

For a classic, woody TS tone with a vintage overtone it’s hard to beat the 808 IMO. The Bonsai is slightly clearer in all settings and more versatile, albeit differences between modes can be subtle. The MSL mode maintains more bass than regular TS’s and the Keeley mode is higher output.

Ive never had a current run TS9 so can’t comment on differences from the 808. The mini I found a bit spikier than the 808 and the mini knobs are a pain. The Seymour 805 is excellent, like a Hi-fi, clearer 808 so a bit more modern.
    Great advice thank you. Spent hours looking at all tbe TS derivatives online and coming to the same conclusion that I don't really need to look beyond Ibanez 808 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692

Ive never had a current run TS9 ...
    There is a difference. The TS9 can be made to sound more aggressive/harsher. For this purpose, where @JJ72 is looking for a mid boost, I think the sonic difference is irrelevant. However I’d choose the TS9 over the 808 because the switch is easier to hit on a dark stage.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited August 2022
    The String-Singer side of the Duellist is good, definitely mid pushed but less honky than a straight up TS with options to add "glass" as required

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 501
    Maxon OD808 for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    They all sound the same to a very close degree of approximation, especially when used as a clean boost into an overdriven amp.

You don't even need to spend anything like the money for an 808 - in fact, a TS-9 is cheaper, has a better switch, and the only reason they might sound different is if they use different chips (some do) and you're running the drive high - the difference only becomes audible at higher gain levels. The 9 and 808 circuits are otherwise identical apart from two resistors in the output buffer which don't affect the sound - I've directly A/B'd them with a switch, and there was no audible difference.

But the circuit is also sensitive to small component tolerance variations, and different *examples* of even identical models don't always sound quite the same, so it's not surprising that two different models also might sound slightly different.

There are also many cheaper alternatives.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the green joyo with yellow knobs , vintage drive I think 
      Used it the same way with drive turned down to tighten things up 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I'd probably just get a TS Mini and be done with it, they largely all sound the same. I use Boss SD1 because I prefer Boss switches. Apparently it's a bit more aggressive sounding than a TS but it does the "tighten and saturate" a dirty amp thing perfectly for me. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I have a Animals Surfing Bear and a Way Huge Green Rhino. Both are TS circuits at their core and both great. I had an SD1 for a bit but didn't like it, FWIW 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    TTBZ said:
    I'd probably just get a TS Mini and be done with it, they largely all sound the same. I use Boss SD1 because I prefer Boss switches. Apparently it's a bit more aggressive sounding than a TS but it does the "tighten and saturate" a dirty amp thing perfectly for me. 
    Yeah the SD1 is another one on my radar
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I had a TS9 and an SD1.
    I kept the SD1, although I slightly prefer the OD2.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The EHX east river drive is apparently TS-ish , either way sounds great
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Hudson Sidecar.  The 2 band EQ is lovely for sculpting the sound a bit, but it's 808 at heart.
    Dodge said:
    Hudson Sidecar.  The 2 band EQ is lovely for sculpting the sound a bit, but it's 808 at heart.
    Didn't know about this one and just checked it out....very interesting!
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 762
    I've tried a few and can recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey
    Neilybob said:

Neilybob said:
    Neilybob said:

Also Bad Monkey saves gig 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/231938/bad-monkey-saves-the-gig#Comment_3333282

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    As an alternative - full-size TC Spark booster. It has a mid setting to get you into TS territory if that’s what you’re after. But also if you’re boosting a sound you’re already happy with, the bass/treble knobs and fat/clean/mid settings offer plenty flexibility and loads of other boost sounds besides mid-focussed. It’s a very useful pedal!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    I would say don't overlook the Thorpy Gunshot in your quest, although it might be more gainy higher up than you need.
    I find it is a bit tubescreamer-ish with the gain control but you can use the calibre control to put just the right amount of top and bottom back into the crunch which seems to give you your dynamics back

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thorpy's pedals are super versatile in my experience. I had a Joyo Vintage drive for a while, to scratch that TS itch with my Strats. I compared it to a friend's TS9 and we could get the two to sound virtually identical. It's probably not the best built pedal out there, but it's good value for money. Then, when I needed to free up some pedal board space, I thought I'd see how close I could get my Thorpy Peacekeeper to the Vintage Drive. The result? So close that the Vintage Drive went to my son. The Peacekeeper can do so much more than a Tubescreamer too. The Gunshot is another option, although I prefer that with humbuckers, personally. The Warthog is probably my favourite Thorpy pedal - everything from low overdrive, to higher gain, distortion and beyond. Possibly not the best at approximating a TS pedal, but after realising what the Peacekeeper can do in that area, I haven't bothered to try. If you just want a TS sound, there are near limitless options out there. If you want something that can do the TS thing and much more, it's worth considering some of Adrian's fine pedals.