Line 6 Powercab: user experiences/still relevant?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
So I been looking at options and amps and all sorts for joining a local gigging rock covers band. I'm a long time helix user and i keep thinking of what best to do to have a giggable solution with my helix. I wondered about having a combo and using the FX loop for the helix. So after lots of round and round in my head, I wondered about a Powercab. I feel like Line 6 chucked up out but didn't do masses with them persay, if that makes sense? 

I've primarily looking at using the speaker emulation over the IR loading etc. But I haven't seen many people using them etc. What's the thinking/thoughts/experience these days?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    Not tried one, but I would strongly recommend going into the FX return of a cheap valve amp.
    Jet City JCA 20 is a great option, or Origin 20 and using proper speakers. (Make sure the FX loop is after the EQ)

FRFR is a pain in the arse and never sounds as good. If I was doing that I'd just go through the PA and avoid having to carry an extra box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I have look at combos at it goes, Its a preferred method, esp as I dont have a cab. However, trying to find something suitable is tricky. My usual go to is a v30 so I'm keeping an eye out.

Whats the story with the eq and FX loop? 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    My experience went like this with modelling:

Headrush 112 - oh this sounds good, but what about that PowerCab...?
    Line6 PowerCab - definitely sounds far better than the Headrush, getting closer to 'amp in the room', but what about my old 2x12 cab?
    Power amp and 2x12 cab - there we go, much better. The best of both worlds, versatility of modelling with the punch of a 'real amp'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    What power amp did you go for?
  • Ive used a powercab+ for every gig for last 4 years, (200 maybe?) and enjoyed them all. No IRs. Its loud enough for pub etc and can easily go straight into PA for better sound dispersion. Even when doing big festivals with backlines, I still it use if I can. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    Jetfire said:
    I have look at combos at it goes, Its a preferred method, esp as I dont have a cab. However, trying to find something suitable is tricky. My usual go to is a v30 so I'm keeping an eye out.

Whats the story with the eq and FX loop? 

If the EQ is after the FX loop then every sound you use goes through the amps tone stack which colours the sound.

If you don't want to use a valve amp then a solid state power amp like a Seymour Duncan through a real speaker cabinet also works.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    Jetfire said:
    What power amp did you go for?
    Warwick Gnome Class-D bass head.

Fully flat EQ with all the knobs at 12 o'clock so don't worry about the 'bass' part of it. Plenty loud enough in band scenario.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    I use a Laney LFR112 and like it. Useful for on stage monitoring and you can daisy chain it to the PA too.