SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Fender Tele - MIJ - 1984(ish)

I picked up this Tele a while back as I thought it was going to be the one, and to a large extent it is. I was a huge Jeff Buckley fan as a younger man, so have always lusted after faded blonde tele's, and this is as close as I can get to my birth year guitar too when looking at Japanese Tele's as the E serial covered a number of mid-80's years. However, baby number 3 is on the way with associated costs, and everything else I've got is either too sentimental (first proper guitar), in a state of upgrade (black les paul) or quite frankly not worth selling. Similarly, if this one doesn't sell, I won't lose any sleep whatsoever (until said baby arrives in a few weeks).

There's a lot I know about this guitar and, like specific year of manufacture, some things I don't. So starting with the things I do know:

• Made in the mid-80's - E serial, so 1984-1987. This was the first proper serial number after the JV series.
  • Maple Neck / Rosewood Board. The neck is one of the absolutely best things about this guitar. It's lovely and slim, has had the lacquer taken off at some point and smoothed down, and is just an absolute joy to play. Frets are good, with lots of material left. It's also just had a crown and set-up, so plays fantastically.
  • Neck pickup - Seymour Duncan SH2N Jazz Neck humbucker. Roll off the tone and it's wonderfully warm and jazzy. Turn it up loud and it's lovely, full and bright.
  • Bridge pickup - Bare Knuckle True Grit Tele pickup. This one rocks. It's fat. It's rich. It's not your usual Tele pickup, but can be rolled off and made a bit twangier if that's what you're after. I also have the original bridge pickup, I can throw into the deal if anyone is interested in that.
  • Electrics - I've recently put a home of tone wiring harness into this, including 500k CTS pots, orange drop cap, 4 point jack and CRL switch. Genuinely can't get any better than that.
  • Body - I think this is basswood - I can't be 100% either way. It's lovely and light and resonant in any circumstance.
  • Bridge - this one's a toploader. It doesn't have a string through. Again, for the Jeff Buckley fans, this was key in trying to find something similar to his.
  • General condition - it's a nearly-40 year old guitar. It has some dinks, some scratches, some natural relic-ing if you will. But I think it's generally in very good condition for it's age. I've tried to photo as much of the bad stuff about the guitar as possible.
I think that's everything - always happy to answer any questions you may have.

In terms of pricing - I know that if this was a JV serial number, I could ask a lot more for it (whether I'd get it is another matter). The only similar guitar I can find on reverb is currently priced at £1600(ish) + shipping from the states, which feels extorionate. Hence, I'd like to ask £1200 for it - I may be wildly off on that one, and hence be forced to hang onto it (shame!). I'm only advertising on here - won't be contemplating putting it on eBay / Gumtree / Reverb.

I've got a gig bag for it, and will try to grab a box next time I'm in GG in case anyone wants it posted. I'm based in Epsom, Surrey, and more than happy to stick the kettle on if anyone wants to come try it out (unless I'm in the delivery ward at the time).

Thanks for looking.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments