Help with replacing the pickups on PRS Mira x

What's Hot
Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 255
edited August 2022 in Making & Modding
Hi,

I have a Mira x. I love it, I'd love it more with coil split able pickups.

I have a pair of bare Knuckle pickups that went in then came  out a Harley benton they could split and work fine.

I've taken the prs pickups out,  put the bareknuckes in and put in a push push pot to use for coil splitting.

I've wired it all up and..... Only one pick up works, and it doesn't coil split.

I've wired it as per the barenuckel diagram, or clearly I haven't as only one pickup works, it doesn't coil split. Taping a screwdriver gives a noise on the pickup that's not working 

I've taken it all to bits, tried again. Only one pick up works, it doesn't coil split. Now the other coil doesn't make a noise when tapped with a screwdriver.

Any change of some help? I might give it one more go on Monday night, and then I'll find someone who knows what they are doing ( in Nottingham).

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/23245781/

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/23245780/

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/23245779/

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/23245777/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    With respect… I would take that to someone who knows what they’re doing. If you try to redo it there’s a good chance you’ll do even more damage to the wiring or components.

Sorry to be harsh.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • After two goes, I suspect you are right. :s

Last 3 times I swapped pickups went perfectly.

Last three times I was swapping like for like. 

Have you spotted some damage I've done to the parts?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    After two goes, I suspect you are right. :s

Last 3 times I swapped pickups went perfectly.

Last three times I was swapping like for like. 

Have you spotted some damage I've done to the parts?
    No, but there’s a lot to the wiring which indicates you may not be using the right type of soldering iron or solder, or you haven’t got the technique right. If you’ve overheated the pots - and especially the pull-switch, which is quite easy to do - they may not be working correctly. The wiring is such a mess it’s actually hard to see quite what’s going on in the pics too! You need to keep things a lot neater which will help avoid possible shorts and iron burns - a couple to the pickup cables could have shorted them internally.

I assume you just cut the old pickup wires because you couldn’t unsolder them - even if so, the very first thing to do is cut them neatly so there aren’t any stray ends, even if that’s not causing a problem. The neater and cleaner the layout the easier it is to get right and the easier to spot faults.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Dicky Fountain in Nottingham is good. Plus he has an excellent name. He's always posting his work on Facebook and tagging the owners. My uncle uses him
  • Guilty as charged @icbm on all counts!

Thanks for the recommendation @roberty i've booked in with him for the start of next week. 

He seems confident he can sort my mess out 
    Guilty as charged @icbm on all counts!

Thanks for the recommendation @roberty i've booked in with him for the start of next week. 

He seems confident he can sort my mess out 
    Ah nice one, good luck with it. I've not met him but he seems a character
  • Thanks again for the help @roberty and @ICBM ;

Dicky was indeed a character! He cheerfully sorted out my mess promptly and for a very reasonable cost.

He also spotted that the nut had been cut oddly, so I got him to set the guitar up as well.

I thought it was good before, I'm delighted now
    Cool mate glad you had a good experience