Q4 22 Challenge - RD Style Build

What's Hot
eSullyeSully Frets: 981
edited September 2022 in Making & Modding
Materials:

OK - Build has started .. kinda

I have the body material now, so there's a Sapele body and neck blank, rosewood board. Got all the bits ready to go and today managed to get Inkscape out and draw out a RD template SVG, print it and get a start on the template. Happy with it so far. 

Decisions to be made, do I go solid body sapale or potentially a droptop if it will fit the template and go for semi hollow approach, no decision needed just yet
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Unfortunately I seem to just not be able to find the time for this build at the moment. Hopefully can get it done by Christmas so all that's happened so far is cutting out the body shape and a couple of experiments with getting sunburst finishes with dai - However I might use that for a different build anyway.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Following. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2022

Some small amount of shaping and sanding progress made. Nice to get back to it. Body is going to be very heavy but will take a lot more material off yet

Long overdue update so some pics first:

So that's where I'm at, I'm going to go for a Fender type headstock on the Gibson RD body I think. Need to sort the break angle out but the plan is from here. It will be 25.5" scale. Loads more shaping to do I think. Going to make the belly cut bigger and possibly the bevel on the back. No where near perfect but should all come together nicely. double Humbucker and Tunomatic bridge (so there will be a break angle on the neck I'll be adding). So far really happy with it. I have the materials to do a Gibson style neck if I want but liking this set up so far. Let me know what you think :)
    And seeing as I didn't have a pedalboard and it occurred to me it would be quiet nice to have one, A quick little Christmas break Q4 side project this morning with some scrap wood in the shed. Got the Velcro tape ready to go once the oils dry

• That fretboard wood is fantastic. I like that a lot  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That fretboard wood is fantastic. I like that a lot  :)
    Thanks man, it is quite nice isn't it. I think it was FeelGoodWood on Instagram I got that from
  • sorbz62sorbz62 Frets: 90
    I want this guitar!!