SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Antoria (Ibanez) lawsuit-era SG

What's Hot
suitablyswellsuitablyswell Frets: 80
edited October 2022 in Guitars £
I genuinely don't know how much to ask for this guitar. It's got obvious battle scars from decades of gigging, but is well set up and plays beautifully - probably better than any other guitar I own - and has done throughout the dozen years I've had it. This is partly because it's extremely well played in and partly because the (all original) frets are fairly worn down - though rest assured that there are no dead spots or unruly buzzes anywhere on the neck.

Wiring and pots are all original, though the pots are pretty near the end of their life (as they were when I got it, but are still soldiering on!). The Matsomoku pickups are gone unfortunately, but were replaced by original Harmonic Design Vintage Plus Classic (i.e. PAF-style) humbuckers which sound fantastic and are a major upgrade on the originals (which I have no idea why people fetishize). The soldering isn't too amazing but everything functions as it should. The original tuners were rubbish and got replaced with genuine Grovers a while back, which made the guitar stable enough for live use.

If you don't already know about Antoria, they were one of the UK brands Ibanez used for importing guitars manufactured in Japan in the 70s. This isn't a "true" lawsuit-era guitar as it's a bolt-on, but the headstock and body shapes would obviously get them in trouble today! Truth be told, it's a much nicer playing and sounding beast than any modern Gibson SG I've played. No, it's not as nice as my mate's '60s SG Jr, but that's worth at least ten times as much as this guitar and is nowhere near ten times as good!

This particular guitar previously belonged to Bob from Hey Colossus and was his main backup guitar until about 2010, if that makes any difference to you. Since Bob sold it on to me, I used it extensively for a couple of years in a new band, but it fell out of favour when I needed something with a trem arm and it's basically spent the last decade getting pulled out for the occasional strum at home or studio-based rehearsal, but nothing strenuous. It's set up with 10-46s and is light, resonant and incredibly easy to play.

I'm thinking £250 ONO is probably fair given the value of the pickups added to the body. Preferably collection from Aberdour, Fife (just across the bridge from Edinburgh) as I don't have a case for it, but I could probably work out a shipping solution if you're particularly keen. Drop me a line if you have any questions, queries or thoughts.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments