SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Can I please have my stolen guitar back?

What's Hot
You know who you are.

You recently advertised my stolen guitar here, and upon my contacting you, you agreed to return the guitar to me. 

For my part I accepted that you bought the instrument in good faith without realising that it had been stolen - and I agreed to pay you a considerable sum of money, in order that you wouldn't be too badly out of pocket.

Since then however, it has been almost two weeks and still no sign of my instrument. 

A kind and helpful fretboard member who was travelling past your town waited for two hours last week at the address you provided, but no sign of you. Admittedly he was late that day, for reasons beyond his control. However, you too made yourself uncontactable - a simple text message or phone call would have been most helpful / appreciated.

I have since informed you of a number of occasions when he’ll be crossing your town over the next few days - but no reply from you.

After some initial communication, my attempts to contact you have been met with silence. Since then you have not replied to my messages and not taken my calls. You have however, found time to be active on the forum here.

This has not been a pleasant experience - and I would be most grateful if you please make contact in order to return my instrument. 

Jay
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• have you contacted the poilce?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6076
    Ouch!! Shitty situation all round and pretty big of you to offer up some cash. Hope it works out quickly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1353
    It looks like he's had a change of heart.

A few questions.....

Is he a long standing member on here or a newby, and has he got the balls to be still posting on here  ?

Has he given you a fake Name/address ? 

The Forum moderaters might have his name and address but you will first have to prove 100%  the situation that you are in e.g ownership , crime number ,exchange of messages on here ,etc etc.

If you have your proof of ownership and police crime number off when it was stolen go to the nearest police station to him and explain the situation and they might send someone down with you to recover it .

In a nutshell its how much is the guitar worth to you ? if its a squier etc is it worth the time / hassle/  day off work but if its a £500 or more then its worth fighting/ travelling for .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28246
    mark123 said:

The Forum moderaters might have his name and address

They won’t - that detail isn’t asked for.  

Even if it were, they’d not be allowed to disclose it to another member.

Hope you get this sorted Jay.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    Wow - what a shitty situation. Hope it works out for you Jay. Being willing to hand over money for your own guitar marks you out as a reasonable guy.
  • Best of luck chasing the person mate, hopefully they'll do the decent thing. If not, get the popo involved quick smart.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• pruddprudd Frets: 682
    edited September 2022

Hope it works out for you Jay
  • He doesn't own that guitar, legally speaking, since the seller never had title to sell it. It's yours - not his.

Give him one last chance, failing which get in touch with the police and tell him you'll be suing him for delivery up of the guitar.
  • You have now deleted all photographs from your original ad and marked it as sold.  Did you imagine that the mods here will not be able to find the deleted details, or that I would not have taken screenshots of them?)

You have also deleted all screenshots pertaining to your 'innocent' Gumtree purchase that you sent me via FretBoard PM . Again, did you imagine that I would not have saved them?

Also do you really imagine that I would not by now have found out exactly who you are  and your accurate address (not the one you gave me).

I promise you, I will be taking this to the police if I do not hear from you - formally on the fretboard's PM system and copied to @digitalscreamwithin the next 12 hours.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    You have now deleted all photographs from your original ad and marked it as sold.  Did you imagine that the mods here will not be able to find the deleted details, or that I would not have taken screenshots of them?)

You have also deleted all screenshots pertaining to your 'innocent' Gumtree purchase that you sent me via FretBoard PM . Again, did you imagine that I would not have saved them?

Also do you really imagine that I would not by now have found out exactly who you are  and your accurate address (not the one you gave me).

I promise you, I will be taking this to the police if I do not hear from you - formally on the fretboard's PM system and copied to @digitalscream - within the next 12 hours.
    The Fretboard sure does have its Gremlins. I hope you get the guitar in question back. Terrible situation to be in, sorry this is happening to you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 781
    edited September 2022
    mark123 said:

Is he a long standing member on here or a newby, and has he got the balls to be still posting on here  ?

After a cursory search, he certainly appears to be both a long-standing member and still active.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do we always protect these people ???

Name them, to protect others.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do we always protect these people ???

There's a clever clue on this page so someone has really earned some late night munchies, be careful you don't feed the seller after midnight though.......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    edited September 2022
    My personal experience....[Exec summary:] If the seller didn't purchase it through a shop with a receipt, then they will be liable for Handling Stolen Goods.

I bought a custom made amp head through CrackConverters (honestly thought it was cheap because it wasn't a mainstream brand and genuine people get hard up and need whatever cash they can get at the time). I decided to move it on after it wasnt to my taste and shortly after listing it across legitimate classifieds, I got the Old Bill calling me. He said he was investigating some kit stolen from a house in Leeds and the original owner saw my listing. He went on to say 'normal procedure for this would usually mean you'll be arrested for HSG and taken to your nearest station for questioning. However, I have done a background check on you and you seem legitimate (paraphrasing!) and you seem to be a victim too. If you have a receipt [which I did], then supply that to me. If t you have bought it through a shop, then you are the lawful owner, so it is your choice if you return the item'. 
    I did return it (because that was the decent thing to do and no one wants their personal belongs to be taken by a crack head), got a refund from CrackConverters, but no apology for the upset and hassle it caused. Haven't used them since. My statement went to the prosecution too. 

So, as I understand from my experience (and I'm not a lawyer!) if the seller bought it from a shop (and can prove that), then he has a legal claim on the item. Your beef would be with the shop and the due diligence they went through when they bought it BUT if the buyer bought it privately, they are handling stolen goods and can be arrested, and will have to answer to the police - even if he /she got it in good faith through a classifieds. I presume you have reported it?  

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8333
    edited September 2022
    Why do we always protect these people ???

thats against forum rules, naming him will immediately lead to closure of this thread.  

A few mins search through OP’s previously commented topics will lead you to the original thread (though now with incriminating photos removed). 

I have to say, I’m appalled by the behaviour of this member, he’s handling stolen goods, and gone back on his word, and blocked both of us from contacting him. He should go through with proper restitution, and restore this guitar to its rightful owner. @jaymenon was buying it back, not trying to get it back for free!!

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3162
    edited September 2022
    Poor form, last active yesterday….
    Cant understand the issue when Jay is prepared to buy it back

Sellers trading feedback really ought to reflect this

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TheMarlin said:
    Why do we always protect these people ???

thats against forum rules, naming him will immediately lead to closure of this thread.  

A few mins search through OP’s previously commented topics will lead you to the original thread (though now with incriminating photos removed). 

I have to say, I’m appalled by the behaviour of this member, he’s handling stolen goods, and gone back on his word, and blocked both of us from contacting him. He should go through with proper restitution, and restore this guitar to its rightful owner. @jaymenon was buying it back, not trying to get it back for free!!

If he was any sort of decent person he'd have given it back, which is what I'd have done personally, and took up the issue with wherever or whoever he bought it from. Clearly he isn't as he's not engaging anymore, does make you despair doesn't it. Still at least we know of another member we shan't be dealing with again.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27681
    edited September 2022
    Closing the thread, because a) it's getting a bit pitchforky, and b) some important details aren't present, which is leading to incorrect assumptions/conclusions.
    <space for hire>
This discussion has been closed.