Screw in floyd screws, vs bushings and machined screws?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
edited October 2022 in Making & Modding
I’m going to add a non-fine tuner floyd to my strat project, am I right in thinking I’m an idiot for considering using the direct mount screws rather than the more modern machine screws and drilling a hole?

Also, is bushings the right word? I dunno!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Some say that the screw in versions remove one interface as the screw threads is directly into the wood, but the height adjustment is fairly coarse.
    The Schaller and Gotoh bushings both seem pretty close tolerance anyway , so I have no issues using them 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    my strat project
    What body wood are you using?

Screwing pivots directly into pine is asking for trouble. Threaded inserts are little better. String tension eventually compresses the soft wood, allowing the pivot screws to lean towards the neck. Intonation MAY be compromised. Eventually, the pivots tear themselves out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks - You both make interesting points. 

Body is alder. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I would always use inserts. The only system that works well screwed directly into the wood is a 6-screw bridge.

I’m slightly puzzled as to the point of a non-fine-tuner Floyd though - is the body drilled at all now?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I would always use inserts. The only system that works well screwed directly into the wood is a 6-screw bridge.

I’m slightly puzzled as to the point of a non-fine-tuner Floyd though - is the body drilled at all now?

Thanks - Body is currently drilled for six-screw bridge. I have the non-fine tuner on another guitar and like it (locking tuners).
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 341
    I purchased a pair of Floyd Rose bridge mounting posts and inserts that are for their Original trem for my non-fine tuner and they are perfect. Another essential upgrade is the Floyd Rose push-in arm. Is a great bridge, I think Floyd Rose supplying them with the two wood screws to mount is just them being cheap.
  • Thanks all - re-looking at the screws supplied, they're actually a bit "low grade" ... I think I do have set of standard inserts and machine screws so I'll get them drilled etc and stop messing about :)

It will be Feline doing the work at some point soon, just waiting for a new floyd block to arrive. I'm also wanting to route out the poor thing for H-S-H (the S is already there, obviously ...)

Should be fun.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Logically I would say good quality threaded inserts for the win.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I like the screws into a northern ash ( heavy baseball bat type ) body, but the ones in my old 80's Squier Japan alder body have moved, they are now leaning against the 3mm stainless steel pickguard I made as a SMW apprentice, still sounds ok though.
    I have the bushes in an alder Kramer 1984, and I had to glue them in with epoxy, wood is wood, it varies, but I think the screws work very well when installed correctly and not adjusted a lot.
    Same principle applies with the ABR screws in a vintage spec LP, more direct contact, less moving parts.