Strange pickup issue

I've got a weird issue happening with the bridge pickup in my SG.

I installed a set of SD High Voltage pups in it, and they worked fine for a while; however, I then noticed the neck was not delivering anything besides a very very faint 'dry' sound.

I gutted and rewired everything with new pots and caps etc., and thought it had been fixed.... until an hour after the job, when it happened again.

Double and tripe checked everything was wired correctly, which it was, so in frustration, I performed some mild 'percussive maintenance' on the neck pup. To my surprise, it worked! However, it then went back to the very weedy signal later on. I banged the pup again, and it came back to life again.

I've never seen this before - could it indicate it's an issue with the pickup itself...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a non-functioning pickup that started working again as soon as I put a meter across it. That was a small internal break that responded to a higher current going through it. So next time it happens , whack the volume up and see it it starts working again - that's not a fix but it might aid diagnosis.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    Could be a poor ground connection inside the pickup. 

Is the offending pickup covered? What format output cable does it have? (I'm guessing single con + braided shield.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Could be a poor ground connection inside the pickup. 

Is the offending pickup covered? What format output cable does it have? (I'm guessing single con + braided shield.)
    It's a covered pickup, 4 conductor wiring.