Takamine GN71 - Pickup

Hi guys - I need some help please

I have a Takamine GN71 and have had it for 10 years. It has broken in very nicely and sounds lovely acoustically. 

BUT the piezo built in pickup is HORRIBLE.

For years I've had the new acoustic itch and never ever followed up on it because I know I don't need another.

I would love to record with this, I know I could point my SM57 at it but I'd rather have it plugged in personally.

What aftermarket pickups would you recommend?

Cheers,

Phil.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I wouldn’t get a new pickup - I would get a Fishman Aura modelling preamp. They work best with a plain passive piezo pickup but should be OK with a preamped one if you keep the EQ flat. You’ll get better recorded results with this than any pickup and analogue preamp, and second only to a mic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 289
    ICBM said:
    I wouldn’t get a new pickup - I would get a Fishman Aura modelling preamp. They work best with a plain passive piezo pickup but should be OK with a preamped one if you keep the EQ flat. You’ll get better recorded results with this than any pickup and analogue preamp, and second only to a mic.
    Thanks mate. I'll have a look at getting a hold of one! 
  • My piezo pickup system of choice is Headway https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    My piezo pickup system of choice is Headway https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/
    Do they do a split-saddle model? That's a major bugbear with replacing a Takamine pickup otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3259
    edited October 2022
    ICBM said:
    My piezo pickup system of choice is Headway https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/
    Do they do a split-saddle model? That's a major bugbear with replacing a Takamine pickup otherwise.
    Yes https://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/?s=Split+saddle

Have them on my Fylde Yamaha FG also Mrs M’s Moon octave mandola sound fantastic also very high output
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

Have them on my Fylde Yamaha FG also Mrs M’s Moon octave mandola sound fantastic also very high output
    Excellent - very useful to know, options are quite limited otherwise.

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 289
    Cheers guys.

Yeah the twin saddle is a major PITA.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15274
    ICBM said:
    … second only to a mic.
    Which is why I use the L.R. Baggs Lyric.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.