Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2248
    edited February 2023
    Here's an updated song list.

Me and @Jonathangus down as joint guitars on 'Jailbreak'

@mart added on bass for 'Spread Your Love' and 'Gold On The Ceiling'

@Brocco on lead guitar and @mrkb on rhythm guitar for 'Be Yourself'

We still need a bass role for 'Die Laughing'

'Tush' isn't attracting any more interest so perhaps I'll remove it at the next update. 

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    If we're still needing bass for spread your love on the ceiling, I can probably manage both. 

Unlikely I'd quite manage the latter at my age :)

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    mart said:
    If we're still needing bass for spread your love on the ceiling, I can probably manage both. 
    Unlikely I'd quite manage the latter at my age :)
    https://youtu.be/50kP4S0peAs

• Brocco said:

...more generally, perhaps we could use the drum track idea to include a few more (well known) tracks, as we seem to be a bit light on the number of tunes

Some of the songs in the current list are basically quite simple when stripped down to their bare essentials. If we don't worry too much about the precise details they could be used as a vehicle for jamming with multiple run throughs with different players.

As I said before, I've made charts for the ones I'm playing on, but they might be OTT because I tend to cram in a lot of detail.

I could post 'bare bones' text based chord charts for a few of the simple songs in the list, so we could use those as a basis for jamming and it might save people time in learning stuff.

As I posted earlier, as an example, here's a bare bones (much simplified) description of Gimme Shelter. Is this any use to others? If so, I could do the same for a few others, that could be used as the basis for jamming.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones parts):

There are essentially only two parts, and the bare bones are:

Part 1: 
    | C# / / / | B / / / | A / / / | A / B / |
    (can play sus4 on C# and B chords)

Part 2: 
    | C# / / / |
    (can play finger bounce on 6th, "like Status Quo")
    (can also throw in the occasional sus4 and bluesy stuff)

Here's the structure of the original, but we can look at each other and wing it, knowing there are only two basic parts.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones structure)

Intro (the guitar intro is based around the Part 1 chords)
    Part 1: x 6   

Verse 1
    Part 2: x 8  

Chorus 1
    Part 1: x 2 

Pre-verse (gtr fills)
    Part 2: x 4  

Verse 2

Chorus 2

Pre-verse (harmonica on original version)

Solo over chorus chords
    Part 1: x 3 

Chorus 3 (backing vox sing chorus on original)

Pre-verse (fills)

Verse 3

Chorus End (repeats to end cue, gtr fills towards end)
    Part 1: x N 
    It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    @roberty ;  What are doing regards to payment? Are we just paying the balance on the day?

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 93

Brocco said:

...more generally, perhaps we could use the drum track idea to include a few more (well known) tracks, as we seem to be a bit light on the number of tunes

Some of the songs in the current list are basically quite simple when stripped down to their bare essentials. If we don't worry too much about the precise details they could be used as a vehicle for jamming with multiple run throughs with different players.

As I said before, I've made charts for the ones I'm playing on, but they might be OTT because I tend to cram in a lot of detail.

I could post 'bare bones' text based chord charts for a few of the simple songs in the list, so we could use those as a basis for jamming and it might save people time in learning stuff.

As I posted earlier, as an example, here's a bare bones (much simplified) description of Gimme Shelter. Is this any use to others? If so, I could do the same for a few others, that could be used as the basis for jamming.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones parts):

There are essentially only two parts, and the bare bones are:

Part 1: 
    | C# / / / | B / / / | A / / / | A / B / |
    (can play sus4 on C# and B chords)

Part 2: 
    | C# / / / |
    (can play finger bounce on 6th, "like Status Quo")
    (can also throw in the occasional sus4 and bluesy stuff)

Here's the structure of the original, but we can look at each other and wing it, knowing there are only two basic parts.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones structure)

Intro (the guitar intro is based around the Part 1 chords)
    Part 1: x 6   

Verse 1

Chorus 1

Pre-verse (gtr fills)

Verse 2

Chorus 2

Pre-verse (harmonica on original version)

Solo over chorus chords

Chorus 3 (backing vox sing chorus on original)

Pre-verse (fills)

Verse 3

Chorus End (repeats to end cue, gtr fills towards end)
    Part 1: x N 
    on the basis that this has made me listen to the track, I would say it's a useful basis for some loose jamming structure 
    edited January 2023
    Brocco said:

Brocco said:

on the basis that this has made me listen to the track, I would say it's a useful basis for some loose jamming structure 

There are a few others that would fall into this category. The ones that immediately spring to mind are:

Roadhouse Blues
    Let's Dance (except the verse chord voicings are slightly tricky if you're unfamiliar with them)
    Hard To Handle
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself 

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:
    ...stepping well outside my comfort zone, but if we can find a suitable drum track, I'll give the lead lines a go on Be Yourself

I'll put you down for lead on 'Be Yourself' for now then. But let me know how you feel closer to the date. I would have had a go, but have realised that some of the bass parts I've volunteered for are a bit trickier than I first thought, and need more work than anticipated. 
    Im happy to play Rhythm as well as sing on Be Yourself so can fill in basic chords under Broccos playing.
     :) this is good news! 
  • Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out. 

I have to fly to Newcastle on the 11th - I’m really disappointed about this and letting you guys down. I was looking forward to this bash.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:

* Hamer SS2 & T62
    * Music Man Luke 1

Please drop me a message.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 944
    Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out. 

I have to fly to Newcastle on the 11th - I’m really disappointed about this and letting you guys down. I was looking forward to this bash.

Sorry to hear that. I've removed you from confirmed list on page 1. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    edited January 2023
    Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out...
    That's a pity. It would have been good to meet you. But no problem. 

The songs that are potentially affected are:

Just What I Needed :
    We can still do this one, provided @spark240 is still good to cover the lead guitar on that one.

I Believe In A Thing Called Love :
    We can do this one if @Vibetronic can cover the guitar on his own. IIRC I think he said that's OK.

Fight For Your Right :
    I can cover the guitar on this one. It's pretty easy, so maybe some others would like to have a go as well.
    It's tuned down to Eb standard. Are we doing it in E or Eb? I've decided to bring my PRS S2 tuned to Eb just in case.

Can we persuade @fastonebaz to come along as he previously showed a passing interest, and we can double up on any of the songs he wants to play (shred ) on.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4249
    stratman3142 said:
    Bennyboy-UK said:
    Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out...
    That's a pity. It would have been good to meet you. But no problem. 

The songs that are potentially affected are:

Just What I Needed :
    We can still do this one, provided @spark240 is still good to cover the lead guitar on that one.

I Believe In A Thing Called Love :
    We can do this one if @Vibetronic can cover the guitar on his own. IIRC I think he said that's OK.

Fight For Your Right :
    I can cover the guitar on this one. It's pretty easy, so maybe some others would like to have a go as well.
    It's tuned down to Eb standard. Are we doing it in E or Eb? I've decided to bring my PRS S2 tuned to Eb just in case.

Can we persuade @fastonebaz to come along as he previously showed a passing interest, and we can double up on any of the songs he wants to play (shred  ) on.

Afraid i can't make this date. Maybe a future one though :+1: 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7405
    What songs dont have a drummer that I will need to get backing drum tracks sorted for? Is the Therapy one still being played?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    What songs dont have a drummer that I will need to get backing drum tracks sorted for? Is the Therapy one still being played?
    Happy to leave it, under the circumstances.  Next time?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I could play bass on Die Laughing (Therapy) if we want to keep it in the list.

Perhaps it would be best for @onlyonebradders to review all of the ones he's down for in my post on 29th Jan. Then let us know if there are any he'd prefer not to do, given his need to recover and avoid taking on too much.

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Believe the tracks in question are Therapy and Audioslave
    bobblehat said:
    @roberty ;  What are doing regards to payment? Are we just paying the balance on the day?

Personally I would be happy to pay up in advance - @roberty please could you confirm how you prefer us to settle up with you?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    Hey guys, I'm thinking its a trek for 2 songs...my fault totally as I haven't committed any time to this or learning more, happy to pay my share to keep the costs right ..what was the costs per person ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @Jonathangus perhaps you and I could join forces on I Fought The Law?

anyone up for lead on Just What I Needed?
  • Brocco said:
    @Jonathangus perhaps you and I could join forces on I Fought The Law?
    Aye, can do.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb